Photo
washington mental disabilities cell phone dispatcher call taser threat excessive use of force

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,038 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:27

The origin of this story is obviously biased and one-sided. It only offered one point of view, her along with her friend. There are lots of forms of mental illness (more and more nowadays it seems), so without actually telling us what it is, it almost makes no sense beyond the readers assumptions.

Sorry without the other side of the story here, I'm reserving judgement on the matter. Personally, I doubt very much that the officers restrained her without reason.

#32 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:32

Lights should be flashing anytime a cop is actively investigating.

Making up rules from thin air isn't a good way to argue. Try again.

#33 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 18,965 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:58

That is not what the OP said. "Moments after the woman stopped the car, a police cruiser drove up behind her with its lights flashing." She parked her car. A police officer pulled up after the fact.

And before that it was said...

Megan Graham, 36, of Federal Way, dialed 911 while being arrested last Monday to complain about police brutality after being pulled over by an officer and hit in the face.

Point is, the cop stopped her while she was in her vehicle. Doesnt matter if she was driving or parked, she was in her vehicle and you never leave your vehicle unless told to do so and while being detained by an officer. period.

#34 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 18,965 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:03

What I want to know is why he was flashing his lights to begin with. Unless he thought she was drunk, there is no reason for a cop to be flashing his lights at a parked car.

Depends on the situation. I have seen cops pull up behind parked cars with their lights on several times. Their lights were most likely on to tell her that she was the focus of their attention. And what does having their lights on have to do with anything?

#35 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,793 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:08

Someone didn't respect their authorita.

#36 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:45

I bet she will next time.

#37 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 23:59

... you can be 100% deaf completely unable to hear... but still be allowed to drive, just means you cant roll down your windows and head bop to an amazing tune....

also mentality ? I know some people with mental impairments, most of whom would not understand situations like this who can drive...

You missed the point. She blamed everything on her hearing and mental imparment, yet she can operate a car legally, and did a multitude of things in it...including USING HER CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING... meaning that there was zero reason besides being stupid (as in dumb as a box of rocks, not impaired). I am not sure how someone can drive and have a license, yet not understand when a cop wants them to stay put... that is part of driving, knowing the laws and when to stop and when to comply.

#38 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

joO 4R3 73H L337!

• 1,337 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 00:19

oh please

do certain cops have an ego the size of an elephant? yes they do, no denying it. but they are the minority

more often than not police lashing out is a result of have dealing with the scum of society, they get shot at, spat at or violently attacked.

so they always have to assume the worst when going into any situation

so when a person is not obeying an order they assume the worst, because if they didnt they are likely to be at the wrong end of the barrel of a gun and there are many youtube videos and enough statistcs out there to support this point.

this is a clear case of im deaf and can get away with anything.

you dont need hearing to know that lights are flashing and a cop is approaching you, also i like the "legally you cant touch me"
well guess what cops have a legal right to detain/arrest you, using physical force if needed if you are not complying...

#39 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,227 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 12 June 2013 - 00:20

She had a valid license in order to drive the car, so in that respect, her hearing and mental status wasn't that impaired. I normally side against police, but in this case, unless she had severe mental defects, leaving your car when an officer is next to you, talking to you with with lights flashing... is just stupid.

Can you explain this a bit? I don't understand.

#40 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 00:37

You missed the point. She blamed everything on her hearing and mental imparment, yet she can operate a car legally, and did a multitude of things in it...including USING HER CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING... meaning that there was zero reason besides being stupid (as in dumb as a box of rocks, not impaired). I am not sure how someone can drive and have a license, yet not understand when a cop wants them to stay put... that is part of driving, knowing the laws and when to stop and when to comply.

She didn't admit to using a cellphone, she just assumed that was the reason the cop used to pull her over. I've been pulled over for "driving suspiciously" when i was doing 36 in a 40. :/

Also, in America you do not need to know the laws to drive. You need to be able to pass the test, with a 70% or better, and know how to make a car make 3 or 4 right turns, a stop, maybe a left turn OR a 3 point (up to 5) turn, and return to the parking lot.

#41 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,145 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:00

She didn't admit to using a cellphone, she just assumed that was the reason the cop used to pull her over. I've been pulled over for "driving suspiciously" when i was doing 36 in a 40. :/

Also, in America you do not need to know the laws to drive. You need to be able to pass the test, with a 70% or better, and know how to make a car make 3 or 4 right turns, a stop, maybe a left turn OR a 3 point (up to 5) turn, and return to the parking lot.

"impression that the officer spotted her using her cell phone while driving." <- that kinda says that yeah, she was on her cell and she thought he saw her. Then when he was there all lights flashing and talking to her (guess she can't read lips, or be bothered to see what he wants as he was next to her talking at her, and she obviously saw that).

Also...as a side note, dang if she didn't have an expired insurance card - this all starts fitting together to show her character. This woman was batting a thousand % of all kind of dumb...

Can we all agree on that?

I never said you must or 'need' to know the laws to drive, just that they are a part of driving... knowing what is expected is a part of driving, you are expected to know and follow all rules of the road and sign-off on that when you get a license. This lady figured a lot didn't apply to her. A lot.

#42 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,293 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:09

Maybe if she stops using her cell phone while driving, her condition may get better. Then she can hear and follow the officer.

#43 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:17

Maybe if she stops using her cell phone while driving, her condition may get better. Then she can hear and follow the officer.

To be deaf, she heard a lot of what was going on there.

#44 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,997 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:50

Not saying she was, but a hearing impaired person can certainly text msg with a cell phone.

#45 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:56

Stupid to resort to violence? So the police should just ask nicely and when that doesn't work ask with vigor and when that doesn't work...?

Please, physical action is required when someone doesn't listen to a lawful order. Now, whether this was the fault of the woman doing something incredibly stupid or the police letting loose on this woman without cause is for the investigation to decide. At this point it's he-said-she-said.

Police are taught how to restrain someone without injury, or if they need further compliance, cause great pain without injury. As my Father was always to eager to "practice" on me after returning from training courses. :cry: