Deaf woman unable to 'hear their orders' beaten by Police

Ok devils advocate time. First of all. Article says she had "Mental disabilities" as well as "hearing disabilities". While vision is the most important thing to have, you also need to be able to hear while driving, to listen for horns, emergency vehicles, etc. If she had mental disabilities, depending on what they were, why was she allowed to drive?

Secondly, you NEVER EVER get out of the car. The cop doesn't know what you're going to do, you could have a gun or other weapon and want to kill him. Traffic stops are probably the number one way cops die, so if she got out of the car he didn't know what she was going to do, and if she was mentally handicapped, she may not have been able to control herself.

Bottom line she shouldn't have been driving, or should've had an assistant or care taker or something with her.

OP said she was pulled over. So she was driving and it sounded like the copy was following. She then got out of her car and was ordered to get back in. Which she did not.

That is not what the OP said. "Moments after the woman stopped the car, a police cruiser drove up behind her with its lights flashing." She parked her car. A police officer pulled up after the fact.

Ok devils advocate time. First of all. Article says she had "Mental disabilities" as well as "hearing disabilities". While vision is the most important thing to have, you also need to be able to hear while driving, to listen for horns, emergency vehicles, etc. If she had mental disabilities, depending on what they were, why was she allowed to drive?

Secondly, you NEVER EVER get out of the car. The cop doesn't know what you're going to do, you could have a gun or other weapon and want to kill him. Traffic stops are probably the number one way cops die, so if she got out of the car he didn't know what she was going to do, and if she was mentally handicapped, she may not have been able to control herself.

Bottom line she shouldn't have been driving, or should've had an assistant or care taker or something with her.

For your second point, you never ever get out of your car... when you are pulled over by a cop. She wasn't pulled over by a cop.

A friend of mine has a drivers license and he has a severe mental handicap. He had a stroke last year and is no longer able to full comunicate. It has no effect on his driving as his motor funtions and mental ability overall is unchanged. Being 100% deaf is also no a valid reason to deny a drivers licence. There is no difference between someone who is 100% deaf and someone who is blarring music so loud that the other cars on the road get to enjoy the music.

Deaf woman who claims she was unable to hear the polices orders, yet "Graham was under the impression that the officer spotted her using her cell phone while driving." - So was she calling someone or texting?

Apart from that why call 911 if you can't hear what they are saying? A whole lot doesn't seem to add up here...

What I want to know is why he was flashing his lights to begin with. Unless he thought she was drunk, there is no reason for a cop to be flashing his lights at a parked car.

Deaf woman who claims she was unable to hear the polices orders, yet "Graham was under the impression that the officer spotted her using her cell phone while driving." - So was she calling someone or texting?

Apart from that why call 911 if you can't hear what they are saying? A whole lot doesn't seem to add up here...

There are different levels of deafness. Could be shes deaf in one ear?

What I want to know is why he was flashing his lights to begin with. Unless he thought she was drunk, there is no reason for a cop to be flashing his lights at a parked car.

What?! I'm sorry but you are really trying here. Lights should be flashing anytime a cop is actively investigating. I've actually been "pulled over" in a very similar situation. A cop was simply following me (not conducting a stop yet). I ended up getting to my destination (an auto parts store). I parked, got out of my car, and then the cops turned on their lights and directed me to get back in my vehicle. I did, and it was all over with without me getting roughed up. Imagine that.

If you are in a vehicle, that most likely means you are on public roadways or an area that leads directly onto public roadways. It doesn't matter if you are moving, already stopped, or whatever. I've also been "pulled over" parked in a parking lot sleeping in my car for a bit. Lights were flashing. Cops orders are lawful no matter.

Simply put there is no reason to nit-pick whether the light bar should be on or off.

The origin of this story is obviously biased and one-sided. It only offered one point of view, her along with her friend. There are lots of forms of mental illness (more and more nowadays it seems), so without actually telling us what it is, it almost makes no sense beyond the readers assumptions.

Sorry without the other side of the story here, I'm reserving judgement on the matter. Personally, I doubt very much that the officers restrained her without reason.

That is not what the OP said. "Moments after the woman stopped the car, a police cruiser drove up behind her with its lights flashing." She parked her car. A police officer pulled up after the fact.

And before that it was said...

Megan Graham, 36, of Federal Way, dialed 911 while being arrested last Monday to complain about police brutality after being pulled over by an officer and hit in the face.

Point is, the cop stopped her while she was in her vehicle. Doesnt matter if she was driving or parked, she was in her vehicle and you never leave your vehicle unless told to do so and while being detained by an officer. period.

Depends on the situation. I have seen cops pull up behind parked cars with their lights on several times. Their lights were most likely on to tell her that she was the focus of their attention. And what does having their lights on have to do with anything?

... you can be 100% deaf completely unable to hear... but still be allowed to drive, just means you cant roll down your windows and head bop to an amazing tune....

also mentality ? I know some people with mental impairments, most of whom would not understand situations like this who can drive...

You missed the point. She blamed everything on her hearing and mental imparment, yet she can operate a car legally, and did a multitude of things in it...including USING HER CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING... meaning that there was zero reason besides being stupid (as in dumb as a box of rocks, not impaired). I am not sure how someone can drive and have a license, yet not understand when a cop wants them to stay put... that is part of driving, knowing the laws and when to stop and when to comply.

Someone didn't respect their authorita.

oh please

do certain cops have an ego the size of an elephant? yes they do, no denying it. but they are the minority

more often than not police lashing out is a result of have dealing with the scum of society, they get shot at, spat at or violently attacked.

so they always have to assume the worst when going into any situation

so when a person is not obeying an order they assume the worst, because if they didnt they are likely to be at the wrong end of the barrel of a gun and there are many youtube videos and enough statistcs out there to support this point.

this is a clear case of im deaf and can get away with anything.

you dont need hearing to know that lights are flashing and a cop is approaching you, also i like the "legally you cant touch me"

well guess what cops have a legal right to detain/arrest you, using physical force if needed if you are not complying...

She had a valid license in order to drive the car, so in that respect, her hearing and mental status wasn't that impaired. I normally side against police, but in this case, unless she had severe mental defects, leaving your car when an officer is next to you, talking to you with with lights flashing... is just stupid.

Can you explain this a bit? I don't understand.

You missed the point. She blamed everything on her hearing and mental imparment, yet she can operate a car legally, and did a multitude of things in it...including USING HER CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING... meaning that there was zero reason besides being stupid (as in dumb as a box of rocks, not impaired). I am not sure how someone can drive and have a license, yet not understand when a cop wants them to stay put... that is part of driving, knowing the laws and when to stop and when to comply.

She didn't admit to using a cellphone, she just assumed that was the reason the cop used to pull her over. I've been pulled over for "driving suspiciously" when i was doing 36 in a 40. :/

Also, in America you do not need to know the laws to drive. You need to be able to pass the test, with a 70% or better, and know how to make a car make 3 or 4 right turns, a stop, maybe a left turn OR a 3 point (up to 5) turn, and return to the parking lot.

She didn't admit to using a cellphone, she just assumed that was the reason the cop used to pull her over. I've been pulled over for "driving suspiciously" when i was doing 36 in a 40. :/

Also, in America you do not need to know the laws to drive. You need to be able to pass the test, with a 70% or better, and know how to make a car make 3 or 4 right turns, a stop, maybe a left turn OR a 3 point (up to 5) turn, and return to the parking lot.

"impression that the officer spotted her using her cell phone while driving." <- that kinda says that yeah, she was on her cell and she thought he saw her. Then when he was there all lights flashing and talking to her (guess she can't read lips, or be bothered to see what he wants as he was next to her talking at her, and she obviously saw that).

Also...as a side note, dang if she didn't have an expired insurance card - this all starts fitting together to show her character. This woman was batting a thousand % of all kind of dumb...

Can we all agree on that?

I never said you must or 'need' to know the laws to drive, just that they are a part of driving... knowing what is expected is a part of driving, you are expected to know and follow all rules of the road and sign-off on that when you get a license. This lady figured a lot didn't apply to her. A lot.

Maybe if she stops using her cell phone while driving, her condition may get better. Then she can hear and follow the officer.

To be deaf, she heard a lot of what was going on there.

Stupid to resort to violence? So the police should just ask nicely and when that doesn't work ask with vigor and when that doesn't work...?

Please, physical action is required when someone doesn't listen to a lawful order. Now, whether this was the fault of the woman doing something incredibly stupid or the police letting loose on this woman without cause is for the investigation to decide. At this point it's he-said-she-said.

Police are taught how to restrain someone without injury, or if they need further compliance, cause great pain without injury. As my Father was always to eager to "practice" on me after returning from training courses. :cry: