Photo

Tom Clancy's The Division

official tom clancys the division ubisoft massive ubisoft reflections ubisoft snowdrop pc ps4 xbox one

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#151 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,180 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:17

Checked whatifgaming and I don't see any similarities in the English. Also checking that site, I learned that the developer is actually from Ubisoft Massive like I guessed before; which explains the not so good (but still completely understandable) English.

Re-read what I wrote. I said the game performance (which gets worse when you raise thee graphical quality of the game) effects the latency. You can test it easily by yourself by limiting the FPS of an MP game that you play on regular basis and see how that effects the latency to the worse. Or if you got an old computer in your house, just launch a new game on it that will straggle to run it at good frame rate and see how much of a worse latency you'll get, even though it's still connected to the same modem/router that your newer PC is connected.

And it's true that the dedicated servers aren't rendering the game as you see it on your own monitor (when I ever said it did?), but if those calculations that the server has to perform is too much for it to handle; everyone on the server will get worse latency to the server the same way as you get worse latency to the server if your own computer can't handle the game well (see above).

And do you really expect to see the same graphics that you saw in the E3 demonstrations upon release?

#152 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 20:32

Checked whatifgaming and I don't see any similarities in the English. Also checking that site, I learned that the developer is actually from Ubisoft Massive like I guessed before; which explains the not so good (but still completely understandable) English.

Re-read what I wrote. I said the game performance (which gets worse when you raise thee graphical quality of the game) effects the latency. You can test it easily by yourself by limiting the FPS of an MP game that you play on regular basis and see how that effects the latency to the worse. Or if you got an old computer in your house, just launch a new game on it that will straggle to run it at good frame rate and see how much of a worse latency you'll get, even though it's still connected to the same modem/router that your newer PC is connected.

And it's true that the dedicated servers aren't rendering the game as you see it on your own monitor (when I ever said it did?), but if those calculations that the server has to perform is too much for it to handle; everyone on the server will get worse latency to the server the same way as you get worse latency to the server if your own computer can't handle the game well (see above).

And do you really expect to see the same graphics that you saw in the E3 demonstrations upon release?

I read what you wrote fine, and you're still wrong. Connection latency is not effected by graphics. A slow client is a slow client, latency doesn't come into it.

The point you're trying to make regarding dedicated servers is invalid, as short of running the server on a potato - any halfway modern server is going to have more than enough compute capacity to host at least one instance. The base world simulation is not horrendously expensive, even in a MP environment the client has to run a local world simulation - and that's precisely why people notice "bad reg" issues with certain titles, because the local sim's interpolation is not accurately reflecting the server-side sim.

Besides, you still haven't explained to any degree why moving the main (authoritative) world sim out to a remote server would impact the local framerate. If anything it would improve performance as the burden (however small) of performing the server role has been offloaded.

No, I think you're too caught up in your little Ubisoft bash-bandwagon - which while may be deserved for recent actions, this certainly is not one of them.

#153 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 22:29

[Topic Cleaned]

Let's keep it friendly guys. :)

#154 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,180 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 23:59

Well, alright. I'll be nicer this time (even though I was nice in my previous reply).

I read what you wrote fine, and you're still wrong. Connection latency is not effected by graphics. A slow client is a slow client, latency doesn't come into it.

It seems like you just ignored what I wrote, so I'll just paste you a few videos to watch:

Graphics (there's a lot of stuff included in that. It's not just texture resolutions and anti-aliasing) always played and always will play a roll in the performance of the latency. Both in server and client side (differently in both). If it's a new information to you, I'd recommend you to "read up on client/server architecture in games".

#155 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 00:52

Well, alright. I'll be nicer this time (even though I was nice in my previous reply).

It seems like you just ignored what I wrote, so I'll just paste you a few videos to watch:

Graphics (there's a lot of stuff included in that. It's not just texture resolutions and anti-aliasing) always played and always will play a roll in the performance of the latency. Both in server and client side (differently in both). If it's a new information to you, I'd recommend you to "read up on client/server architecture in games".

No, I didn't ignore what you wrote. You're just making the typical gamer mistake of using unreliable ingame "testing" as the basis of your reasoning. In the same vein, if I had a dollar for every gamer that claimed having stupidly high frame rates in tickrate-locked games actually made a difference I'd be a Billionaire. The latency of a connection does not impact the local framerate, and the local framerate does not impact the latency of a connection. A slow client is a slow client, simple as that.

Now if you're done wasting time on that one minor point that is not really relevant to the core argument, I'd be more interested in hearing your response/explanation for the other point I raised in (95% of) my previous post, and which you ignored even after criticising me for ignoring your post.

If you prefer less reasoning and more appeal to authority, I've also ran this article past people working for a game studio, and their response was "it's just words" too.

#156 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,180 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:01

Not relevant to the core argument? This whole argument started with you saying "Graphics don't have any relation to the latency on an internet connection." and when I proved to you that it actually does, you retaliate with "A slow client is a slow client" without anything to back it up and then shove extra to that a completely unrelated "tell me the cons and pros of cloud computing"? Dude, I don't have time for that. And just so you'd know; I tweeted that to a big black woman and her response was "right on!".

(By the way: One paragraph out of four, is not 95%)

#157 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,989 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:00

Instead of this "you ignored x post / paragraph" back and forth, agree to disagree and move on please.

#158 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

• 15,304 posts
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 09 August 2014 - 17:38

Very Accurate I'd say. 

#159 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,763 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:23

When is the new gameplay video coming?

#160 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,180 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:44

When is the new gameplay video coming?

According to their twitter: new gameplay footage (from Xbox One) going to be shown at Gamescom 2014.

#161 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,761 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:58

I can't wait for this game!!

#162 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,763 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 18:00

According to their twitter: new gameplay footage (from Xbox One) going to be shown at Gamescom 2014.

Ahh ok thanks.