7 minutes ago, Razorwing said:

That's awesome. There's tons of configurations you can do on the PC. I've also heard it has up to 3 monitor support which is madness..and you can config your HUD to say if you want your radar on your left screen etc. 

I do single monitor 1080p still (possibly 2x 1080p or such once I get a new mon, but not sure I wouldn't rather give the original away and keep things uncomplicated.)

Maybe worth going to 1440p but I'll think about it after the CPU upgrade.

dang beta on pc just started 13 minutes ago and my game has already crashed twice. once the gfx driver quit working, and the second the game stopped.

not a good start. friend just reported it crashed his entire pc. too bad, even for a beta.

edit:

keeps crashing. oh well.

waste of 30gb download.

Edited by blank

blank - what are the hardware specs in your case?

Also, the specs of the person claiming it took down the entire PC would be of use.

I had great fun on the xbox version yesterday, though I finished the "main story" quests available already, so now I just have random stuff, but still great fun.  I'll be picking up this when it's out and my economy says so. 

18 hours ago, PGHammer said:

blank - what are the hardware specs in your case?

Also, the specs of the person claiming it took down the entire PC would be of use.

i dont know the specs of his computer, but he did said he had 980gtx sli.

I have a nvidia 770 ti 4gb. not new, but not bad.

i7 4770k

16gb ram

Samsung 1gb ssd

suppose its time to build a new system.

hmm, no crashiness with my 290 on Ultra.

I don't know that I love the game (some parts being disabled for the beta are probably part of that) but I am definitely enjoying it a lot.  Will be ordering soon.

So. either one one of the story quests or one of the other side missions, I kept hearing this annoying digital noise kind of sound around me when I was on a roof top.  that annoying typical Alien invasion digital communication type noise. I kept looking and looking and couldn't find it. 

Eventually I looked up and saw that there was some kind of thing hanging on the side of the nearby building, it looks sorta like the tail of a helicopter with one of those fan type tail rotors, except not quite. it looked like it was covered by a green tarp, but turned out it was actually hanging from a green parachute. it had a blue blinking light as well. There was no way to get to it so I did what any rational person would do.  I shot at it... a single shot and the thing itself went boom leaving just the parachute. 

Anyone else saw it or something similar ? guessing it's some kind of drone or release thing and it's a hidden clue to the source of the infection. 

I was watching CohhCarnage play it on twitch yesterday, he noticed it on the map and went looking for it, shot at it and collected the loot too. It is a crashed drone and I think the noise is the distress beacon.

34 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I was watching CohhCarnage play it on twitch yesterday, he noticed it on the map and went looking for it, shot at it and collected the loot too. It is a crashed drone and I think the noise is the distress beacon.

I found it the first closed beta;

http://xboxclips.com/skivie/9121f864-2c56-4fdf-b0c2-cb2bc91beb35

I played the beta this morning and didn't have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to be looking into this game more. 

And hopefully doing some more exploring later today.

Any idea how much content there is for a lone player? Also why has this sorted of game not been done before (or have I missed it). A modern day RPG.

Not impressed at all. By default it picked a ridiculous super-scaling resolution (3620x2263) and most of the display was off-screen, forcing a restart. Then I had a crash to desktop. Once I got into the game I found the control system to be appalling, clearly designed for consoles - the cover system is clunky and it's easy to find yourself jumping out into the open. It feels like you have very little control over your character, which is extremely off-putting. Then there's the stupid numbers spouting out of enemies when you shoot them, which is fine for something like Borderlands but not for a game like this. And the level design is so obtuse that you need giant pointers telling you where to go, which ruins immersion.

I generally don't like cover-based shooters and this game only reinforces that opinion. The concept seems great but the execution is poor.

47 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I played the beta this morning and didn't have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to be looking into this game more. 

And hopefully doing some more exploring later today.

Any idea how much content there is for a lone player? Also why has this sorted of game not been done before (or have I missed it). A modern day RPG.

It's hard to tell, but one thing I missed in the original closed beta was the syncing of two notice boards that highlight a few of the missions/events in the BETA so make sure you do that and check the notice board in the opening camp (Camp Hudson I believe) and also in the main base once you've free'ed it up.

I found a good way of getting an idea of what is to come is to walk around the three wings and see what there is to unlock in them. For instance in the tech wing once you unlock the Control Center (I think) one of the pieces of information you get when you walk near it is "missing agents found". The Medical wing I think there is a similar message of "samples found". I assume these are side quests of some sort. The main missions are going to be to help unlock the 10 or so components of each wing (3 wings x 10 components  = roughly 30 main story driven quests).

Then obviously you have the random encounters, virus scan side quests etc that you find just as your exploring.

4 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

Not impressed at all. By default it picked a ridiculous super-scaling resolution (3620x2263) and most of the display was off-screen, forcing a restart. Then I had a crash to desktop. Once I got into the game I found the control system to be appalling, clearly designed for consoles - the cover system is clunky and it's easy to find yourself jumping out into the open. It feels like you have very little control over your character, which is extremely off-putting. Then there's the stupid numbers spouting out of enemies when you shoot them, which is fine for something like Borderlands but not for a game like this. And the level design is so obtuse that you need giant pointers telling you where to go, which ruins immersion.

I generally don't like cover-based shooters and this game only reinforces that opinion. The concept seems great but the execution is poor.

You can turn off the numbers, and why is it not right for a "game like this" ? you do realize it's a level based rpg style game and that damage changes based on skill location and weapon among many things. 

As for the cover system, it's no more "console" than anything else. it's a standard third person shooter and I don't find it harder to get in or out of cover than any other cover based third person shooter. just don't hit the enter/exit cover button, and hold it to run to the next. 

as for the actual bugs you started off with, well that's what the big wall of test that comes up when you start the BETA says. it's a beta, it has bugs. 

34 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

You can turn off the numbers, and why is it not right for a "game like this" ? you do realize it's a level based rpg style game and that damage changes based on skill location and weapon among many things. 

I know that's what they've gone for but I don't think it was the right move. Having to unload entire clips to down enemies is tedious and unrealistic. Having really inaccurate weapons until you level up a skill is unrealistic. Having numbers appearing when you shoot an enemy is unrealistic. These things might work well in a casual game but that's not what they went for. There is no immersion.

As for the cover system, it's no more "console" than anything else. it's a standard third person shooter and I don't find it harder to get in or out of cover than any other cover based third person shooter. just don't hit the enter/exit cover button, and hold it to run to the next. 

It's clearly designed for a controller. The keyboard bindings make absolutely no sense, Pressing 'F' to apply changes and 'Space' to accept them... that's silly; having to constantly press 'Esc' is another issue. In game you can't jump and 'Space' is bound to cover, yet 'Ctrl' is used to use ladders and you have to hold 'F' to interact with buttons and other functions. Having to hold the interact button makes no sense. Everything is extremely clumsy and poorly thought through.

as for the actual bugs you started off with, well that's what the big wall of test that comes up when you start the BETA says. it's a beta, it has bugs. 

No meaningful changes will be made between now and launch, as the time period is too small. It's more a demo than a beta.

It's a poorly optimised, dumbed down console game. It's a shame as the preview videos looked quite promising.

On 2/20/2016 at 2:06 AM, blank said:

i dont know the specs of his computer, but he did said he had 980gtx sli.

I have a nvidia 770 ti 4gb. not new, but not bad.

i7 4770k

16gb ram

Samsung 1gb ssd

suppose its time to build a new system.

The GTX770Ti (Kepler) may be an issue - are you considering either Maxwell 2.0 (GTX9xx) or Pascal (next GPU up) as downstream upgrades?  (I have GTX550Ti - Fermi, which is even older - and I have both on the radar.)

18 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

I know that's what they've gone for but I don't think it was the right move. Having to unload entire clips to down enemies is tedious and unrealistic. Having really inaccurate weapons until you level up a skill is unrealistic. Having numbers appearing when you shoot an enemy is unrealistic. These things might work well in a casual game but that's not what they went for. There is no immersion.

It's clearly designed for a controller. The keyboard bindings make absolutely no sense, Pressing 'F' to apply changes and 'Space' to accept them... that's silly; having to constantly press 'Esc' is another issue. In game you can't jump and 'Space' is bound to cover, yet 'Ctrl' is used to use ladders and you have to hold 'F' to interact with buttons and other functions. Having to hold the interact button makes no sense. Everything is extremely clumsy and poorly thought through.

No meaningful changes will be made between now and launch, as the time period is too small. It's more a demo than a beta.

It's a poorly optimised, dumbed down console game. It's a shame as the preview videos looked quite promising.

There is no immersion for you, basically you're saying the game isn't your type of game, and it should be your type of game because that's the only type o game there should be. it's quite obvious that while you don't like this type of game, the beta is showing there's no lack of people who wants it.  There's already thousands of games for regular open world shooters. play one of them if this isn't your type. 

None of that seems to have anything to do with a controller though, especially sine the game was especially made to be a PC game and then a console game. it's not the kind of game I like playing on PC anyway, so I don't really care if the PC master race doesn't get everything they want perfectly. 

many changes happen in a very short time with these kind of dev cycles. even as we're playing we weren't playing the latest version,as for changes, your bugs where actual bugs not changes, so they're very likely to be changed. 

as for poorly optimized, that's not the gist I'm getting from the PC community playing it. quite the opposite...

Also people need to stop saying games are "dumbed" down, just because controls and gameplay are streamlined and optimized. if you want to click a button for moving every joint in your body, go play Arma 2. 

being a console game and made to be playable with a controller isn't "dumbed" down. 

24 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

There is no immersion for you, basically you're saying the game isn't your type of game

Yes.

None of that seems to have anything to do with a controller though, especially sine the game was especially made to be a PC game and then a console game. it's not the kind of game I like playing on PC anyway, so I don't really care if the PC master race doesn't get everything they want perfectly. 

The PC port is poorly optimised with an utterly illogical control scheme. It's very clear that PC was not a priority and that it was designed to be played on controller. That you don't care to play it on PC doesn't have any bearing on that.

many changes happen in a very short time with these kind of dev cycles. even as we're playing we weren't playing the latest version,as for changes, your bugs where actual bugs not changes, so they're very likely to be changed. 

No, because the game has already gone gold. They can make some basic balance changes in a patch but anything more substantial will have to wait, as the game is released in a couple of weeks. More importantly a lot of the functionality was disabled, meaning the vast majority of the game has not been tested. 

as for poorly optimized, that's not the gist I'm getting from the PC community playing it. quite the opposite...

Actually, most of the reports I've seen highlight performance issues. That and SLI isn't working properly. I shouldn't be getting such poor performance on a GTX 970 SLI setup.