What the Windows Phone 8 Start screen should look like (with mockups)

I wish and hope that Windows Phone 8 will get a look that is more consistent with the Windows 8 Modern UI (formerly Metro).

In lack of something better to do I have spontaneously been spending an hour (or two) making some mockups on what I would like the Windows Phone 8 Start screen to look like. It is based on a screenshot of the WP8 emulator screen.

What do you think?

P.S. I'm not sure if this was the right category to post this under.

post-301230-0-50575700-1370956067.png

post-301230-0-64298400-1370956092.png

post-301230-0-42380100-1370956101.png

post-301230-0-95612300-1370956134.png

• Like 2

So, why should Windows Phone have the same icon as the messaging app in Windows 8, when they're completely different? That doesn't make sense, the messaging app in Windows Phone 8 isn't even really an app, it's part of the OS.

Would actually create inconstancy. "Hey, why isn't the People Hub in WP8 the same as the People App in Windows 8? They have the same icon..."

And you can't have the same app in both OS, for obvious reasons.

I expect to get the ability to add background pictures to the start screen. Though I don't know if it'll be in 8.1 or a future 8.5/9.0 update in late 2014. Start screen aside I'd like to see other things added here and there plus support for things that are missing which people want, like VPN.

So, why should Windows Phone have the same icon as the messaging app in Windows 8, when they're completely different? That doesn't make sense, the messaging app in Windows Phone 8 isn't even really an app, it's part of the OS. Would actually create inconstancy. "Hey, why isn't the People Hub in WP8 the same as the People App in Windows 8? They have the same icon..." And you can't have the same app in both OS, for obvious reasons.

They already have the same icons.. they were copied from WP7.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look you have created. It is better than changing all the default icons to the same shade like is done now. They end up looking too much alike.

Please no. Last thing Windows Phone needs is to look like the horrible mish-mash of clashing colours that is Windows 8 tiles. Windows 8 strongly needs to take a leaf out of Windows Phone's book on this one (and many others).

It would make it consistent, but the main reason the Start Screen doesn't have backgrounds on Windows Phone is battery life. The black background actually helps conserve battery.

I would prefer it if Windows 8 worked more like WP8 rather than the other way around.  I like the Metro UI but I do feel like it works better on Windows Phone than Windows at present.

With all due respect, how is this different from what Windows Phone 8 looks like today?

I don't have a Windows Phone 8, but I googled an image of three home screens and compared it - and it didn't look all that different; but if you were going for having the same tile icons and such as is on Windows 8 (which is also an os I don't have) then that's perfectly ok with me, and it's a direction I hope Microsoft will take.

But what I would like to see on your good looking mockups is one of the little things which prevent me from buying a Windows Phone 8, which is also having the day, weekday and month next to the time in the upper right corner

With all due respect, how is this different from what Windows Phone 8 looks like today?

I don't have a Windows Phone 8, but I googled an image of three home screens and compared it - and it didn't look all that different; but if you were going for having the same tile icons and such as is on Windows 8 (which is also an os I don't have) then that's perfectly ok with me, and it's a direction I hope Microsoft will take.

But what I would like to see on your good looking mockups is one of the little things which prevent me from buying a Windows Phone 8, which is also having the day, weekday and month next to the time in the upper right corner

i can't even see a difference from my WP7.8

Tiles on the Windows Phone startscreen (almost) use all the same color, it's also inpossible to change the background to anything else than plain white or black.