Killer Instinct reboot is free-to-play, only one character is free

I hope they rotate the free characters every month, so it doesn't become a Jago on Jago match every single time. That way everybody will need to learn every character and be able to pick one they like to buy.

At $1 per character, I just don't think it will be an issue. Reportedly, you can also just buy the whole game outright.

At $1 per character, I just don't think it will be an issue. Reportedly, you can also just buy the whole game outright.

Did they confirm $1 per character? I hadn't seen that.  That seems like a pretty good price and could save people money vs buying the entire game.  While most might want more than one character, I could see many just buying up say 5-10 and being done with it.  I wonder how big they plan to make the roster.

• Like 2

MorganX, on 19 Aug 2013 - 12:42, said:

Where are you getting this $1 thing from?

• Like 1

Where are you getting this $1 thing from?

idk, just a guess. It won't cost 50 cents, and it won't cost $1.5 so $1 sounds guessworthy. If it's not free it's going to cost something. Depends on how many charaters it is. Have to see what the full game costs and how many characters to really make an educated guess. But $1 sounds good to work with.

Not really familiar with KI so I'm not sure how big the roster might be, but my guess is that the price per character will be 3-5$ or more if they're greedy/push people to buy the full game. I base this on F2P games with character unlocks on the PC. 1$ is too low because it doesn't seem likely to me that the game will have 60+ characters on release.

• Like 2

Um it is KI3, not a remake.

The developers themselves call it a REBOOT.

This is not KI3.   This is KI (20th anniversary edition)

The developers themselves call it a REBOOT.

This is not KI3.   This is KI (20th anniversary edition)

I stand corrected, I could have sworn I saw it listed as KI 3 on official announcements, but I don't see that anymore.

But I would disagree with the idea that this is a remake.  It is listed a reboot of the series, but it is still the 3rd game in the series because it takes place following the events of the 2nd game.  The developers have gone over various story elements that are continuations from the last game.

The part of the game getting a 'reboot' is the fighting mechanics, which is being heavily overhauled to reflect all the changes in fighting games since the last game.  I think the term reboot was thrown in just to point out that the series has been basically dead for so many years. If they end up not calling it KI 3, I think its still the third game in the series.

This is not the same thing as say Halo Anniversary, which was literally a remake of the first Halo Game.

• Like 1

?Killer Instinct? for Xbox One will be free to download with one free playable character available. Additional characters will be available for purchase starting at $4.99 / ?3.99 / ?4.99 each. 

Players can also purchase special discounted character packages:

Combo Breaker Pack ?? Save 50 percent instantly by purchasing the Combo Breaker pack, which includes the first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release) for $19.99 / ?16.99 / ?19.99.

Ultra Edition ? The Ultra Edition delivers the best value for ?Killer Instinct? fans. Available for $39.99 / ?34.99 / ?39.99, the Ultra Edition includes:

• The first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release)
  • Character accessory packs
  • Character costumes
  • The original ?Killer Instinct? arcade game

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/gamescom-ki

?Killer Instinct? for Xbox One will be free to download with one free playable character available. Additional characters will be available for purchase starting at $4.99 / ?3.99 / ?4.99 each. 

Players can also purchase special discounted character packages:

Combo Breaker Pack ?? Save 50 percent instantly by purchasing the Combo Breaker pack, which includes the first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release) for $19.99 / ?16.99 / ?19.99.

Ultra Edition ? The Ultra Edition delivers the best value for ?Killer Instinct? fans. Available for $39.99 / ?34.99 / ?39.99, the Ultra Edition includes:

• The first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release)
  • Character accessory packs
  • Character costumes
  • The original ?Killer Instinct? arcade game

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/gamescom-ki

Ha ha oh wow. and people in here were thinking $1/ character and you have to pay extra for costumes too. 

?Killer Instinct? for Xbox One will be free to download with one free playable character available. Additional characters will be available for purchase starting at $4.99 / ?3.99 / ?4.99 each. [/size]Players can also purchase special discounted character packages:[/size]Combo Breaker Pack[/size] ?? Save 50 percent instantly by purchasing the Combo Breaker pack, which includes the first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release) for $19.99 / ?16.99 / ?19.99.[/size]Ultra Edition[/size] ? The Ultra Edition delivers the best value for ?Killer Instinct? fans. Available for $39.99 / ?34.99 / ?39.99, the Ultra Edition includes:[/size]

The should of gave a few more characters on the Ultra Edition. $40 is pretty close to a complete game if you ask me.

Combo Breaker pack seems kinda reasonable. Have to find more info on this

I'm torn between editions because I want the other character costumes, but not the old arcade classic game. I may go for the Combo Breaker edition. I'm pretty sure Orchid and Fulgore are the final two characters to be revealed (until the post launch ones).

Wow, $20 is pretty darn cheap for the full roster.  8 fighters is a good start, but hopefully they plan to add more down the line.

I'm satisfied with 8 characters and $20 for the full game.

The Ultra pack is interesting thanks to the first game being bundled, but I'd like to know if its just a 1:1 port, or something more. 

Still $20 is much better than I thought it would be, so I'm ready to go.

Ha ha oh wow. and people in here were thinking $1/ character and you have to pay extra for costumes too. 

Yeah $1 seemed ridiculously low.  But it turns out to be a good deal anyway.  The full version of the game is the Combo Breaker version, which is just $20. That's a great value in my opinion.

For someone who hasn't played the original KI and is just starting to get into fighting games, I love the aspect of doing this. Why all the hate for free? People these days..

Yeah $1 seemed ridiculously low.  But it turns out to be a good deal anyway.  The full version of the game is the Combo Breaker version, which is just $20. That's a great value in my opinion.

I don't know about $1 being low. If they were actually going for the razor blade model. But clearly they don't want to do that with the Combo Breaker at $20. There's really no reason not to buy that at a minimum if you really want to play this game. It's a steal.

Alright, I saw a little more info about the plans for the game going forward.

This first release with an 8 character roster is considered Season 1.

Season 2 will be another 8 character roster and is slated for mid to late next year depending on how quickly they can get them done.  They also plan to continue working on balancing, etc patches throughout this process as they get feedback.

The story mode stuff will be launching with the final two characters for Season 1.  So that means that day one there will be 6 characters.  Soon after, the last two characters and the story mode will be added.

In the Ultra Edition, 'The original Killer Instinct arcade game' as the real arcade game I spent countless hours on? Not the SuperNES version.

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. Now, you have my attention

Its really not freemium. 

For some reason people keep pushing the F2P title on this game when it is not.

You can buy the entire game for $20 OR buy individual characters. 

ts just too bad that the media gets to dictate the terms people use, not the developers themselves.