E3 audience offended by "rape joke" at Microsoft Xbox One event

I have to shake my head over this one. Are people so uptight now that they have to look for controversy and a reason to be offended.

It didn't even occur to me that it could be a rape reference until I saw these posts. People need to lighten up. If that had been two guys on stage, I have a feeling we would have heard nothing about it. I have heard that phrase used so so so many times by gamers and its nothing to be offended about.

MS was right to come out and apologize, but its sad that they had to do that.

My bad, he was referring to the 3 fireballs he hit her with in a row.

So yeah, If fight stick means penis, and fireballs are scrotum's, then I suppose it could be construed as a rape joke.

If you are Beavis and Butthead

Edit: Video not showing up? youtube.com/watch?v=rVPXJiE1BpM

MS was right to come out and apologize, but its sad that they had to do that.

Be interesting to see what some women think, that's who they were apologizing to I think. No one else should really care, I mean women do avoid online multiplayer for this reason, but the show was unavoidable. Good move to avoid drama IMO. Too close to the boundary giving the online gaming world.

Please, this has nothing to do with "male privilege". It wouldn't have been seen as an issue if it were two men instead of a man and a woman. For that matter, it wouldn't have been an issue if a man was beaten by a woman in both matches.

Also, don't try to put a fanboy spin on this. I don't know if you're aware of the negativity surrounding Windows 8 and Xbox One. No one is against this just because it's Microsoft. I don't care if it's Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo.

That's all very well and good but if re-read what I said, you'll find I didn't mention the event at all - but rather the reactions to it. In this thread, and elsewhere.

Please tell me you're joking. Being British we don't seem to have this "Privelage" epidemic people seem keen on spouting in USA. "Privelage" means a special advantage or right granted to one group of people. Simply being White or Male is not a "privelage". So far in life I've been turned down from 2 jobs for being White, and in my current job, Men are held to a much higher standard than Women.

Two jobs? Gasp! Truly the well documented income disparity for non-whites and women was nothing more than a fabrication! I have seen the light!

Simply being White or Male is not a "privelage". So far in life I've been turned down from 2 jobs for being White, and in my current job, Men are held to a much higher standard than Women.

Wow this is going way OT. You're not in America so maybe, but just to clarify, you were turned down for 2 jobs for being white and they hired non-whites instead? Is that what you're saying? More, less, or equally qualified?

The more this goes OT, the wiser MS' decision to be proactive and apologize to put the comment to rest becomes.

Wow this is going way OT. You're not in America so maybe, but just to clarify, you were turned down for 2 jobs for being white and they hired non-whites instead? Is that what you're saying? More, less, or equally qualified?

I was informed they had to make up a quote of non-whites to fill a diversity in the work-place law from the EU or some rubbish.

Two jobs? Gasp! Truly the well documented income disparity for non-whites and women was nothing more than a fabrication! I have seen the light!

What source do you have that says White people earn more in the UK than non-whites?

What source do you have that says White people earn more in the UK than non-whites?

I'm not going to derail this topic further on account of your glaring privilege issues. Sufficed to say it is a topic that is well documented and even a cursory search should net you the information you seek.

I'm not going to derail this topic further on account of your glaring privilege issues. Sufficed to say it is a topic that is well documented and even a cursory search should net you the information you seek.

You have to be joking. If not you've failed to cite a source upon making a claim. So you clearly have nothing, if you have to try and make up some invisible aura that renders my opinions invalid Or you're joking, I'm leaning 50/50 on these 2 options.

Back on topic, people will be offended by anything, "Just let this happen" isn't related to rape, sure it might have been said during a rape, but then you'd have to go and ban all factors that may occur during a rape. Being offended by something doesn't mean your opinion is suddenly more valid. I love this quote from Stephen Fry.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so f%$@ing what?' ?Stephen Fry

It's the "Just let it happen" bit that is the most obviously a reference to rape. Would he have said that if he had been playing against a man? Maybe, but it'd still have been an evocation of a rape scenario--just a male rape scenario. He may as well have said to her, "Just lie back and think of England." :|

To me, the words "Just let it happen", do NOT bring up images of rape, at all... Maybe people thinking this nonsense should spend a bit of time reflecting on their own thoughts a bit. :p

There have been 32 replies in this thread before this one and out of that, only 2 people used the words "morons" and "feminazis". No one used the word "idiot(s)" in this thread. Anyway, what they said isn't representative of everyone at Neowin. What you said earlier in response to The_Decryptor seemed a bit odd to me: "A lot of angry men on Neowin, it seems."

The whole tone of this thread reflects a hostility towards women. Are you aware of how hostile the gaming community is towards female gamers, and how often the word and idea of rape get thrown around as an insult? It's not particularly surprising some people would view that display at E3 to be, at the very least, in poor taste.

I admit, they could have used words with less negative connotations but would that change what you think?

What? Less negative than being stupid or of being a Nazi/fascist?

We disagree with the way some people reacted to Microsoft's E3 demonstration. That doesn't necessarily mean we're "angry" about it. And it doesn't necessarily mean we're against women (or hate them). I personally have an issue with militant feminists because they're so focused on female issues but I'm a firm supporter of gender equality (not gender inequality in favour of women as some feminists would prefer).

Some people mightn't see the problem, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. People in this thread have been entirely dismissive of this issue. One or two people may have made a reasoned response, but most were just along the lines of "Oh women complaining ..Here we go again..". This topic reeks of male privilege.

It seems any woman who advocates for women's rights is a "militant feminist". Like any atheist who advocates for secularism is a "militant atheist".

"Etymology is the study of the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time. By an extension, the term "the etymology of [a word]" means the origin of the particular word."

So what is the history/origin of those terms?

I know exactly what Etymology means, thanks. I am the one asking you the question here, because you seem to be wholly unable to look beyond the "It was said while they were playing a video game, so it must ONLY make reference to video games" context as shown by your inane "Penis means flaming fireballs" remarks. Either you are deliberately playing naive on this, or genuinely don't see anything beyond the surface of a comment.

but most were just along the lines of "Oh women complain..Here we go again.."

Spot on. This forum does have a misogynistic slant at times - probably because the demographic here is generally males in IT, who (let's face it) aren't known for being the most integrated people when it comes to relationships with women (generalisation, stereotype, but it's kinda perpetuating itself).

I was informed they had to make up a quote of non-whites to fill a diversity in the work-place law from the EU or some rubbish.

That's too bad. Even if the quota is 95% White to 5% non-white, 5% of the time someone will be cheated if a quota is necessary. It shouldn't be if you have qualified applicants with diverse ethnic backgrounds but we know that's not reality.

Absolute tosh! Sorry but whoever informed you of this was downright wrong. There are no EU diversity quota's - they monitor these stats because, well, they feel it is of value and I can see reasons why. But there is no enforced law.

This nonsense is always thrown out there by those who wish to push whatever agenda makes them feel victimised (not suggesting YOU, suggesting whoever told you). It can be reworded to suggest that companies have a target percentage of {insert demographic here} they have to meet. This is baseless - and usually constructed by those who wish to create ill feeling towards {insert demographic here}.

i went to the doctor last week, and the nurse took blood, and she said something along those lines, 'just relax, it'll be over soon.'

SHE RAPED ME!!!!!!

You got raped by a Nurse? Can i have the address of your Doctors please :)

Take a chill pill, it's not like he was actually raping the girl or probably didn't even want to! I mean, if he tried, I'm sure someone from the audience would stop him.

it's not like he was actually raping the girl or probably didn't even want to! I mean, if he tried, I'm sure someone from the audience would stop him.

Oh thanks for pointing that out... :rolleyes:

This is just dumb. Notice how nobody is talking about the XB1 games on here, but instead just talk about garbage like this.

The rape comment is out of left field and I think people are over-thinking everything. Go play some games, or better yet do something that can help someone out.

If there is ever a time to call for rationality this would be that time. This isn't 1691 and we are not in a town called "Salem", go take your witch hunting somewhere else.

I have never been more sad of gamers than I am today, it's just getting out of hand and pathetic.

I know it's very easy to say things like "Look it's just a joke, get over it" or "You're just overthinking it".

Problem is, that vague references and jokes like this can perpetuate an ideal that it's a comedic subject.

I know exactly what Etymology means, thanks. I am the one asking you the question here, because you seem to be wholly unable to look beyond the "It was said while they were playing a video game, so it must ONLY make reference to video games" context as shown by your inane "Penis means flaming fireballs" remarks. Either you are deliberately playing naive on this, or genuinely don't see anything beyond the surface of a comment.

Good for you, I had to Google it. I answered you question multiple times, i.e. "Having a tooth pulled? Getting a tattoo?" You seemed to ignore that, so I looked it up because I was trying to understand where you are coming from.

I am not unable to look beyond anything, but I'm just not jumping on the bandwagon, and seeing something that isn't there.

How you can come to that conclusion, from me pointing out the inanity of others seeing sexual innuendo where there was none, is beyond me.

I'm sure you have watched the video by now, hopefully numerous times. What is your genuine opinion on what took place? Do you really think he was referring to dominating her sexually?

Just a yes or no answer to that please, then we can just agree to disagree.

This is just dumb. Notice how nobody is talking about the XB1 games on here, but instead just talk about garbage like this.

The rape comment is out of left field and I think people are over-thinking everything. Go play some games, or better yet do something that can help someone out.

If there is ever a time to call for rationality this would be that time. This isn't 1691 and we are not in a town called "Salem", go take your witch hunting somewhere else.

I have never been more sad of gamers than I am today, it's just getting out of hand and pathetic.

agreed this thread should be closed

• Like 1

This is the Real World News section of the forum. If nobody is talking about Xbox One games in the Microsoft Console section, you should ask yourself why that is. Or better yet, start some topics.

I don't agree that it was even a rape comment, but I suppose that is the term people are using to refer to this whole thing. I do agree that people are over thinking it. You are in here stating your views on the matter, so why aren't you playing games, or helping somebody out instead?

Regarding the original outrage on Twitter, I would agree.

Don't tar us all with the same brush, please :)

agreed this thread should be closed

No it shouldn't. This whole saga might be pathetic, but discussing that fact is not.

• Like 1