Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why wont games run on Windows8?

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I asked this in a different forum but no reply of any use but this forum seems to be chock full of brainy people so please help if you can, cheers.

I actually like Windows 8 but wish I'd never bothered 'up'grading from Win7 simply because my games don't work.

My PC aint bad

• Intel Core i3 CPU 3.20GHZ
  • 7GB RAM
  • 64bit OS, x64-based processor

I've tried Warhammer Dark Omen & Shogun Total War both of which are old games and both of which flicker like crazy or just crash when a video plays..why?
    Warhammer has a file I clicked and it showed me this:

captured.jpg

It's not just old games, I bought two games from 'Steam' - Post Apocolyptic Mayhem: graphics look terrible, Elder Scrolls v Skyrim: too juddery to be playable.

The games worked when I had Windows 7 and when I first 'upgraded' to Windows8 (apprently when you upgrade some Windows 7 stuff is left); since then I did a recovery and installed Windows 8 again; this time it lost all the old Windows 7 files it kept when I upgraded and thus I'm left only with Windows 8 so obviously something's gone that once made my games work.

• I've tried Compatability mode, no difference.
    • I have 7GB RAM as I once had 4GB but bought some more.
    • Graphic card Driver is up to date

Here's my Spec:

General

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Central Processor Intel

Edited by John S.
removed serial no at users request

Posted

Posted

Your best option may be to go back to Windows 7.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks, tried that but all I get from that site after running the Java thing is 'This device is unknown or unsupported.' for every item.

Your best option may be to go back to Windows 7.

I wish. My wreck came with Win7 installed, no disc so no way back :(

Posted

Have you tried Compatibility Mode?

Also have you installed the Direct X?

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

and the SDK

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=6812

I know when I tried to run some DX10.1 demos -and a DX9 game it said there was no DX - once I ran it - then the demo's ran. after selecting Run in Windows XPSP3 compatibility mode

Yet I could run all the DX11 demo's.

The only other suggestion is creating a shim using the Compatibility Admin Kit.

How to use site-

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/getting-started-with-the-application-compatibility-toolkit.aspx

Toolkit:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352

1 person likes this

Posted

Try running the installer in compatibility mode. Games run fine on Windows 8, but that's the game you play when you upgrade, older things are bound to break.

Posted

I think deranged is right. it looks like your core i3 is the 1st generation and comes with "Intel HD Graphics". I checked the intel site and there is no Windows 8 driver to download. I"m guessing this means you're using the one Windows 8 installed which is a basic driver with no acceleration (likely) which explains why nothing is working for you.

Does your laptop or desktop have a "genuine Windows 7" sticker on it with the OEM product key? If so, download a copy of Windows 7. You can find links to the official MS ISO images here (from digital river) http://www.mytechgui...river-download/

make sure you download the version of windows 7 your product key is for.

Posted

^

Windows 7 drivers work just fine on Windows 8.

Posted

There are multiple options available for you to get Windows 7 back.

Posted

What does it say under Display Adapters in device manager?

Posted

Put a basic (or better) discrete graphics card in your PC and wipe your hands of the issue.

Posted

Yeah, adding a discrete card is your best bet at this point. There are some good options under 100$.

^

Not necessarily. Intel graphics drivers in particular will not install on any version of Windows they're not explicitely certified for. I'm unable to install the latest intel drivers for my 2009 Inspiron with Intel Mobile Series 4 graphics (GMA4500mhd), for instance.
2 people like this

Posted

you have to update your graphics driver. you cant get it from the intel site, since your CPU is so old, you have to use windows update to update it.

Posted

Shogun Total War runs fine on Windows 8 x64 - I would believe your issue is driver related and likely only resolved by adding a discrete card I'm afraid (as already stated).

Intel drivers are signed and definition file locked for specific versions of Windows these days so unfortunately it's very unlikely you'll get a proper solution now or in the future for your on-chip GFX solution. Windows 7 x86 32bit based Intel HD GFX drivers might install for you on Windows 8 x86 but it might not fix your issue (and may introduce further issues).

Posted

You are trying to play Skyrim with Intel graphics?

Posted

Here's my Spec:

General

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Central Processor Intel

Posted

^

I have only one personal example but on a machine where i installed windows 7 intel drivers on windows 8, they installed fine but attempting to use a modern app would bluescreen the PC. Based on that alone, I would have to disagree with your statement, or at least modify it by saying "may not work in all cases on Windows 8"

Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. It looks like I'm going to have to go without games because I don't have the money to buy a 'discreet graphics card'.

@Ice_Blue - it says ' Intel ® HD Graphics (Windows says Driver is up to date)

@Dot Matrix - tried compatibility mode all the way back to Win95 no good

@redvamp128 - Got DirectX but tried those downloads anyway, no change

Weird how the games (Shogun, Warhammer:Dark Omen) are very old and work fine on an antique but NOT Windows8..and that's progress is it Microsoft?

Posted

Weird how the games (Shogun, Warhammer:Dark Omen) are very old and work fine on an antique but NOT Windows8..and that's progress is it Microsoft?

And they work fine in win8 if you've got working graphics drivers. Very rare that anything working in 7 doesn't work in 8.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. It looks like I'm going to have to go without games because I don't have the money to buy a 'discreet graphics card'.

@Ice_Blue - it says ' Intel

1 person likes this

Posted

@Ice_Blue - it says ' Intel ® HD Graphics (Windows says Driver is up to date)

@Dot Matrix - tried compatibility mode all the way back to Win95 no good

@redvamp128 - Got DirectX but tried those downloads anyway, no change

Shogun Total War works fine on Windows 8 and likely Dark Omen if you have driver support (Which is an Intel failing by the way).

Posted

A $30 card is sufficient for your need. Your definition of progress is, odd.

Posted

Thanks, tried that but all I get from that site after running the Java thing is 'This device is unknown or unsupported.' for every item.

If you have a key you can legally download untouched ISO's from digital river

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languages-X86-amp-X64/page60

1 person likes this

Posted

I have only one personal example but on a machine where i installed windows 7 intel drivers on windows 8, they installed fine but attempting to use a modern app would bluescreen the PC. Based on that alone, I would have to disagree with your statement, or at least modify it by saying "may not work in all cases on Windows 8"

:(

Posted

Speaking of Windows 8 and gaming....anyone know how to prevent the mouse from leaving the first monitor of a two monitor configuration, going to the second monitor in a game when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen? I don't recall that in Win 7 and so far noticed in on Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and Walking Dead on Steam.