• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:33

Aside from 7, Longhorn was my favorite OS. I joined Neowin back in the days of Longhorn leaks. My favorite one had to be 4074. Loved the dark slate theme, the new icons, the awesome sidebar. I still have an ISO on my computer of it.

#17 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:44

Windows Long horn was like an idea in progress that turned into a concept os which was vista. They had way too many ideas during windows longhorn which probably caused the delays. Windows vista was nice, but it wasnt a fully finished and polished product like windows 7 was eventually evolving to windows 8.

#18 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:47

It was a bold concept and I have always been in favour of eye candy in the OS, I don't see the point of modern computers if some of those 8GB of RAM and 5Ghz processors can't be used for a bit of bling on the desktop, unfortunately at the time the feedback was that it was too demanding on systems and it was more fllash than content; there were issues with the file system longhorn was going to introduce and putting so many features (regardless of how optional) onto the dashboard was going to be a big change for people.

So the project was scrapped and the ethos of evolution over revolution was the mantra of the Windows design department.

That ethos carried through to the lletter with Vista > Windows 7. You could argue that windows 8 threw that out the window but the changes to the desktop element I think still hold true, start menu disappearing isnt really a revolution and regardless of whether consumers agree or not MS has said numerous times now that it expects alll PC's in the future to have touchscreens or other forms of NUI input so the touch aspects of windows 8 were a necessary evolution.

In any case a nice topic and stroll down memory lane.

Edit: Even thoguh you are barely on it for more than a few seconds, the eye candy and some of the concepts of the longhorn builds around the login screens were my favs.

#19 OP Ian William

Ian William

Open until midnight or later . . . sometimes later.

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:45

i still have a few copies of this lying around

If I may inquire, would you happen to have the PDC 2003 DVD?

Those were the days. The idea and concepts were quite ahead of time. Look at that sidebar and then look at the **** which they bundled with Vista. Sadly, MS had to scrap it because there were too many problems with it. From what I remember, the builds were never stable and leaked ram.

To be fair, the Windows Sidebar in Vista does include some of the Longhorn Sidebar features; but it is unfortunately a far cry from what could have been. For example, one goal of the Longhorn Sidebar was to provide a centralized location for system and application notifications.

Windows Longhorn: still the most exciting Windows UI to date:
http://www.zdnet.com...00007363/#photo

Could someone explain why a large part of the Longhorn code had to be re-written at some point?

Here is what I feel to be a great article about the development of Windows Longhorn. http://online.wsj.co...8349448,00.html

I thank all of you for your valuable time and thoughts!

#20 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:57

I Liked Longhorn, it had some great concepts, however, many of which we now know would never have stood the test of time. Too many flashy effects, and too little usability.

#21 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:25

I didn't like how much HDD space it took up. But after some fixes here.. a few tweaks there.. it turned out to be a great system. I just got to thinking. These OEM systems don't require a horrible activation. this copy of 7 works only on this laptop. so.. I won't need to worry about when MS stops support. just make sure I have the essential updates is all.

#22 jamieakers

jamieakers

Neowinian

• Phone: Dell Venue Pro

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:36

I didn't like how much HDD space it took up. But after some fixes here.. a few tweaks there.. it turned out to be a great system. I just got to thinking. These OEM systems don't require a horrible activation. this copy of 7 works only on this laptop. so.. I won't need to worry about when MS stops support. just make sure I have the essential updates is all.

Eh?

#23 MtnDewCodeRedFreak

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Since May 2001

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:46

Remember what really happened there - the original Longhorn builds pre-5xxx were based off from Windows XP.

Then 5xxx and after were based off from Windows Server 2003, a far more stable OS than XP (I know, I know - it's a server OS, but still).

So, a reboot was necessary though.

#24 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:32

If I may inquire, would you happen to have the PDC 2003 DVD?

honestly I have no idea, my record keeping back then was lacking :p

any way to find out from the disks?

#25 OP Ian William

Ian William

Open until midnight or later . . . sometimes later.

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:36

honestly I have no idea, my record keeping back then was lacking :p

any way to find out from the disks?

Yes, actually. The following image shows Disc 1 of a pre-release version of Longhorn distributed at PDC 2003. Disc 2 is of an orange color.

Posted Image

#26 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:45

Yes, actually. The following image shows Disc 1 of a pre-release version of Longhorn distributed at PDC 2003. Disc 2 is of an orange color.

Posted Image

oh none of my copies where "legal" per se :p

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:29

As much as I followed Longhorn, I was never able to personally try out any of the builds, but the most visually appealing to me were the Plex and Slate builds.

#28 slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:41

longhorn development were amaziing times! i wodner why the team was fired and replaced? that was the best team really.. had MS given them an extra year or two would have been better than bring in Jim allchin and have vista flop and then windows 8 flop too. but yea hindsight is always 20/20.

#29 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:50

Didn't Longhorn also get rebooted partly because of the Windows XP security issues and getting SP2 out the door. I think Longhorn was an ambitious OS for Microsoft at that time, I think then they were just starting to grasp true UI design, from a design perspective. In fact I think Longhorn was a little ahead of their time. If you look at where Microsoft is now, I think they could have pulled it off. Though look now, the whole sidebar concept and gadgets are now gone in favor of the start screen tiles

#30 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:58

Who remembers "Watercolor"? :p

Who doesn't remember water color?

The reason Longhorn failed and they started over is because they tried to build the whole thing out of the dotnet framework and it collapsed on itself.