• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:51

Just before Sony's E3 press conference, analyst Michael "Frog Touch" Pachter predicted a practical no-show for the PS Vita. He wasn't too wrong about that, either. The analyst went further than that, however, declaring the system dead.

"Sure there will be the occasional game, but the market's dominated by smartphones, 3DS, Vita's too hardcore," he told GameTrailers. "Sony will try to revitalize Vita, but it'll fall flat."

Pachter also said Sony's desire to have the PS Vita work as a companion device to the PlayStation 4 will fail, stating that while Sony may want that, he doesn't think it matters, advising users to "just buy an extra controller" if they want multiplayer experiences, and writing the system off as a "gimmick."

"Nobody cares about playing the Vita on a train," he declared.

There's no denying Sony disappointed with its PS Vita efforts on Tuesday, delivering little more than the same vague promises we've been hearing for over a year. I want to believe Sony's more dedicated to the handheld, but until I see proof, I'm not biting. I fear instead, Sony will just believe its ability to stream PS4 games will be enough of a library and leave it at that. Hope I'm wrong.

Still, Walking Dead!

Source

#2 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:53

It's a fair assessment, Vita was DoA. You can get good quality gaming experiences on smartphones now for less than the cost of a Vita game.

#3 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:54

Vita .... dead? Can't see that happening, its just lazy developers not willing to leave their comfort zone.

#4 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:55

You should have seen his predictions for the console prices too lol.

#5 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:02

Looking at the lineup of coming games for the Vita at E3 I would have to agree :(

#6 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:09

Maybe deeper integration with the PS4 will revive it's fortunes?

I don't have one, and I can't honestly say that I'm really that interested in getting one either. But I can see it's potential.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:14

I got one at launch and got rid of it a few months later, I'll get a cheap one when PS4 launches purely for offscreen play.

#8 +KoL

KoL

Javier Ocasio

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:19

I thought they were going to announce a price drop and a memory card price drop but they didn't. They really have to lower the price of those memory cards.

#9 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:23

I am not surprised that developers are not making games for it. Anymore people just use cell phones rather than a dedicated portable gaming device.

#10 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:28

I am not surprised that developers are not making games for it. Anymore people just use cell phones rather than a dedicated portable gaming device.

What about the 3DS?

As I said the same problem with the WiiU Lazy Developers and crappy publishers *COUGH EA COUGH*

#11 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:34

I remember the psp go! That was cool but a failure because it was a psp without a umd slot! The ps vita is stalled in terms of not taking off, Ive played with it, but didnt have any desire to want to buy it.

#12 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:42

i love the Vita. i'm taking mine on a trip today. i still have like 4 games to play on it. i have 3 flights today, so that'll give me a lot of time to dive into some of the games.

that being said, E3's showing has been pretty bad. there really needs to be more AAA titles instead of remastered or smartphone ports. my only hope for the Vita now is that the PS4 sparks some interest - Remote Play, 2nd screen, etc.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:56

It was DoA IMO.

Only thing they could do now to recoup sales is a massive price drop (not £10/20/30 but something very significant), and a huge boost in exclusive titles which aren't just twists on the console counterparts.

Neither seems feasible.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 June 2013 - 13:59

Pachter, his only correct "predictions" are those that come after everyone can see the facts, like this one. it's been dead for a while and that hasn't been changing.

What about the 3DS?

As I said the same problem with the WiiU Lazy Developers and crappy publishers *COUGH EA COUGH*

They're a crappy publisher because they choose to not waste money developing for a platform that doesn't have a marketable audience ?
it could be argued that they killed the Wii U. but the Vita managed to die all on it's own. Sony tried to sell it to a market that didn't care anymore, they didn't need or want AAA gaming on the go.

#15 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 14:01

PS4 remote play won't do anything for the Vita, sorry. Nobody buys a console to have an additional $250 device to play the same games on a tiny screen without all the proper controls.