DRM-free PS4 is a PR play

http://www.edge-onli...es-say-sources/

E3 2013: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play ? expect similar policies across both console

Several development sources have told us that they expect game publishers to implement similar DRM policies across Xbox One and PS4, despite what has unfolded at E3 this week.

Our contacts described Sony?s conference announcements as a PR play, and revealed that its decision to go DRM-free was made at the very last minute.

Each platform holder?s DRM policy has changed continually over the last few months, they said, though Microsoft?s initial stance was much tougher than its position today. This suggests that the platform holder?s decision to let publishers decide for themselves whether to implement DRM on Xbox One was not part of the original plan.

Ultimately, the developers we spoke to understand the need to protect the revenues made on their work, and expect to see broadly similar DRM restrictions across both PS4 and Xbox One ? in one instance, it was suggested that these measures were essential for the console business to survive.

We were also told that final publishing agreements will not be drawn up for at least another month, so the terms of engagement could yet change once more before each console launches at the end of the year.

We have contacted Sony for comment.

Rumors don't just stop, do they?

NOOO! Sony have stated that there will be very limited DRM on the PS4. Personally I think online passes are better than the fascist policies from Microsoft. Plus I can give my games to a friend and still trade PS4 games in.

If true, Sony listened to it's customers.

the developers we spoke to understand the need to protect the revenues made on their work

Protect? They made their money when they sold original copy of the game, publishers have never been entitled to secondary sales, that why there trying to change the console business model. Also, resell of the game doesn't increase server demand, the copy is transferred and 1 connection to the server doesn't become two.

I'm not sure how Microsof will be dealing with the EU, the EU court ruled (was an Orcale case against a license reseller) that software licenses can be transferred, even if it violates Terms of Service.

I'm wondering why I bothered watching Sony's E3 conference yesterday. With the number of conflicting articles flying back and forth I feel just as much in the dark as I was last week. I may as well just wait until it's released and look for myself.

I don't see much changing tbh.

The Xbox One has probably been built around these policies from very early on. I doubt it's as easy as flipping a switch to turn it off if they choose to remove it. For that reason alone I think Microsoft are locked into their decisions & based on the negative feedback so far, they'll probably ride out the storm for 1 year & eventually remove it for sale numbers.

Precisely the same reason for Sony too, it's not just something you throw together in the final months of development. These consoles will start to be produced in/around August to produce enough of them for launch. That gives them very little time to make hardware changes if they are required for DRM. Plus, they are on to a winner before the console even launches gifted by Microsoft. Why would they throw that away?

The Xbox One has probably been built around these policies from very early on. I doubt it's as easy as flipping a switch to turn it off if they choose to remove it. For that reason alone I think Microsoft are locked into their decisions & based on the negative feedback so far, they'll probably ride out the storm for 1 year & eventually remove it for sale numbers.

I really can't see MS ever backing up on the DRM thing. I think they'll continue to push it in hopes it will help strengthen the appeal of buying digitally.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com...used-games/article12486543/

Sony Computer Entertainment chief executive Jack Tretton is making no bones about it - the upcoming PlayStation 4 will work exactly like each of the company's previous consoles in the way it handles secondhand games.

A report Thursday morning suggested that Mr. Tretton was retreating on that position, that Sony would only apply its policies to its own first-party releases, but third parties were free to block used games.

Mr. Tretton says he made those comments in regards to online portions of games, which some publishers already currently block in the secondhand market unless buyers pay an additional fee.

?We can't control what the publisher does with their online rights. What I was referring to is if a person chose to, as they have historically, put something in that blocks access to the online gameplay, that is something that is within the publisher's purview to do. We're not going to do it,? he said.

Sony Computer Entertainment chief executive Jack Tretton is making no bones about it - the upcoming PlayStation 4 will work exactly like each of the company's previous consoles in the way it handles secondhand games.

A report Thursday morning suggested that Mr. Tretton was retreating on that position, that Sony would only apply its policies to its own first-party releases, but third parties were free to block used games.

Mr. Tretton says he made those comments in regards to online portions of games, which some publishers already currently block in the secondhand market unless buyers pay an additional fee.

?We can't control what the publisher does with their online rights. What I was referring to is if a person chose to, as they have historically, put something in that blocks access to the online gameplay, that is something that is within the publisher's purview to do. We're not going to do it,? he said.

There was a clarification

https://www.neowin.net/news/third-parties-can-dictate-drm-terms-on-the-playstation-4

When clarifying the statement, Sony specifically said that it would "not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners", although they reiterated that used disc-based games can be traded-in or sold at will despite their policy for third parties.

3rd Party DRM only applies to online. Single Player will work on the console if you have the disc and PS4 does not require internet check.

And that made perfect sense, it's exactly what we've become accustomed to on the 360/PS3 today. But now there is further comments from Sony that they will not allow 3rd parties to use online passes (source: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1158382-ps4-online-passes-by-third-parties-not-allowed/). So what can they do?

This was already pointed out in many other threads but the OP thinks he is clever trying to post yet another article on it.

This was already pointed out in many other threads but the OP thinks he is clever trying to post yet another article on it.

How is OP trying to be clever? He's posting an article from another site.

No need to get ****y about it if you don't agree with the content.

How is OP trying to be clever? He's posting an article from another site.

No need to get ****y about it if you don't agree with the content.

It has already been clarified in detail debunking it in multiple threads including quotes from a 30 min chat with Scott Rhode the PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America.

It has already been clarified in detail debunking it in multiple threads including quotes from a 30 min chat with Scott Rhode the PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America.

As people have been defending Audioboxer for years, "Don't shoot the messenger". This article is different than the Tretton video.

Sony cant lie to millions of people, that would extremely wrong, and perhaps unlawful. If sony intentionally lied to people on e3 about games being drm free, there will be legal action against them without a doubt.

so are we agreeing to stop posting rumors and articles about stuff that has been debunked or is obviously false ?

Sony cant lie to millions of people, that would extremely wrong, and perhaps unlawful.

Seriously, how naive are you? :s

Companies "lie" to their customers/consumers all the time.

Have you never heard of politics?

Seriously, how naive are you? :s

Companies "lie" to their customers/consumers all the time.

Have you never heard of politics?

I am not naive. This is a company, not the government and is totally unrelated to politics. This is called false advertising if they'd promised drm free games, and id hope legal action would be taken if they did falsely advertise. Its like Microsoft advertising windows 8 to work with all the apps from windows 7 but doesnt, thats false advertising.

NOOO! Sony have stated that there will be very limited DRM on the PS4. Personally I think online passes are better than the fascist policies from Microsoft. Plus I can give my games to a friend and still trade PS4 games in.

Um... You can trade XBox One games in as well... And Sony reversed their statement somewhat the day after their E3 event, saying that that only applies for first party games, and that publishers will be instituting DRM themselves...

Build 3663 was pretty fun to mess with.. then 3683 came and slowly went down hill until 4008-4044.. then went down hill again.. I loved plex.. This was a very fun OS to mess with.

I suppose rumors like this get spread because the originator either does not understand or does not care enough and just wants to gain attention.

Sony will not FORCE publishers/developers to use any specific DRM. what they do is up to them and not Sony, whereas Microsoft is just forcing a standard across their platform so that it is the same on all games.

FUD! FUD everywhere! OMFG! Look at all the FUD!!!!

Agreed.

Wow these "rumours" are flying fast and furious right now.

People really want to spread this FUD crap about the PS4.