usa picking mobile gadgets id and password find my iphone

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:29

It's called "Apple picking," a growing wave of crime in which thieves target mobile devices, particularly iPhones and iPads.

Now the company that gave the crime its name is taking a step to stop it, with a "kill switch"-style update aimed at making the mobile gadgets less valuable to thieves.

Activation Lock will be part of iOS 7, the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system expected to roll out in the fall. The feature will require an Apple ID and password before the phone's "Find My iPhone" feature can be turned off or any data can be erased.

At a keynote address opening its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, the company said the same ID and password will be needed to reactivate a device after it's been remotely erased.

"We think this is going to be a really powerful theft deterrent," said Craig Federighi, a senior vice president at Apple.

As mobile devices become more popular, stealing them has become a unique sort of crime that has law enforcement and government officials taking notice.

In New York, a special police unit has been created to deal with stolen mobile devices.

The overall crime rate in the city increased 3% last year -- but "if you subtracted just the increase in Apple product thefts, we would have had an overall decrease in crime in New York," Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said.

Advocates have been calling for so-called kill switch tools in all mobile devices for some time.

more

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,894 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:31

May help a little...but thieves will find a way around it via some kind of hack.

Don't see how people get their phones stolen so much tho.

#3 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,585 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:38

reset in black recovery mode... phone or pad is useful again... unless they actually remove that feature, there will always be a way around the security..

#4 +NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

• 2,254 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:43

reset in black recovery mode... phone or pad is useful again... unless they actually remove that feature, there will always be a way around the security..

I would think that when the phone is restored in that method, you still could not activate it once it's back online. Otherwise, it's a very useless feature that only takes 10 seconds to circumvent.

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,106 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:45

Fry the CPU -- now that's a kill switch. :shifty:

Posted Image

#6 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• 639 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:47

It looks like this IS to counteract this. When you do a wipe, you'll also need to reactivate the iphone... then during activation it'll prompt you to insert the iCloud username/password combination which locked the phone. Failure to do so will prevent activation and leaving you with a paperweight.

#7 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,364 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:47

Yeah I was thinking that, but apple has it covered. Serial number. When you connect to itunes, it sends the serial number, so actually it will block it pretty well.

#8 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,585 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:49

Yeah I was thinking that, but apple has it covered. Serial number. When you connect to itunes, it sends the serial number, so actually it will block it pretty well.

unless its jailbroken...

#9 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,604 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:54

unless its jailbroken...

As far as I know, a jailbreak which is able to activate a phone hasn't been available since the iPhone 4?

#10 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• 1,781 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:59

Can anyone tell me how someone can sell an old iPhone to another individual with this new activation lock feature?

(Associate new iCloud account to an old phone?)

Earlier :

Wipe the phone and sell it.

Now?

Wipe - Activate - Sell?

#11 Tigurinn

Tigurinn

Neowinian

• 474 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:07

...I was so hoping for a fingerprint sensor in the home button. *sigh* Doesn't seem like that's going to happen for a while

#12 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:09

Maybe this will put an end to the rampant (stolen) iphones that are on craigslist.

#13 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 20,924 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:12

...I was so hoping for a fingerprint sensor in the home button. *sigh* Doesn't seem like that's going to happen for a while

That would only happen with new hardware, so it could still come with the iPhone 5S. And while that is still an unlikely addition this time (maybe next year); even if it does come this year, Apple still needed to have something for previous generation phones.

#14 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,994 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:14

It's called "Apple picking," a growing wave of crime in which thieves target mobile devices, particularly iPhones and iPads.

No, it's called theft. Sorry, I just hate media-invented names for things.

#15 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,713 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:16

the only way to put a true kill switch in is to have an electronic fuse on the CPU which can be blown by a direct connection to the cellular radio on a path that can not be disabled by software... so when the phone's id is flagged as stolen the CPU blows a kill fuse which makes it impossible to even turn the device on again because it blew a fuse at the chip silicon level...