• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:35

Well, according to Microsoft, the fact that Windows 8 does not support turning window chrome to black is not a bug, but a feature. A ****ing feature. I tried my hardest to see if they would fix this issue, but was rebuffed. Is it too hard for someone at Microsoft to turn the chrome to black? How is this not a bug?

I guess the rest of the OS can be dark, just not window chrome. What a bunch of bull. What does Microsoft have against dark color schemes?

Posted Image

http://answers.micro...54-77e11cfb443c

#2 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:39

This is a highly annoying problem

#3 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:40

funny. The guy from MS sounds like he doesn't know you can set your own colour schemes. what a n00b

#4 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:42

Can you post a screenshot? I can't understand what you guys are talking about...

#5 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:42

It's a baffling design choice. I normally use a darker color scheme, but had to give them up for my Windows 8 virtual machines.

EDIT: What exactly does it take to become an MVP? If it's anything more than writing your name on a piece of paper and sending it to Microsoft, that guy might have cheated.

#6 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:44

Can you post a screenshot? I can't understand what you guys are talking about...

Edited and posted it in the first post.

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:48

Windows has never supported dark color schemes(well). I've yet to see a custom dark theme even that doesn't have serious usability issues.

7 handled it better than 8 though thanks to the glow, but glow is kinda tacky. The main issue seems to be the complexity of the window skins. one way to handle it would be to have a system to detect the darkness of the frames and switch to white text when the threshold is broken. but that has it's own issues as well, and only adds to the complexity.

#8 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:54

EDIT: What exactly does it take to become an MVP? If it's anything more than writing your name on a piece of paper and sending it to Microsoft, that guy might have cheated.

Collect 8 tokens from the back of your Coco Pops.

On an unrelated note, I went to this discussion thread and voiced my opinion directly there, hopefully it'll have more effect. Those Microsoft "Tech Support" guys seemed clueless. I'd urge everyone to go in and do the same.

#9 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:57

Windows has never supported dark color schemes(well). I've yet to see a custom dark theme even that doesn't have serious usability issues.

7 handled it better than 8 though thanks to the glow, but glow is kinda tacky. The main issue seems to be the complexity of the window skins. one way to handle it would be to have a system to detect the darkness of the frames and switch to white text when the threshold is broken. but that has it's own issues as well, and only adds to the complexity.

I guess the guy who knew the code for the simple process of determining if a color is dark or not left Microsoft.

#10 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 12 June 2013 - 23:18

This is easily the most annoying thing about Windows 8. I wish they would just let you customize the title bar text, that would solve all these issues.

#11 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 June 2013 - 23:19

It's effectively not a bug. It's bad design.

#12 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 23:28

In other versions of windows you could customize all fonts and colours, you know Microsoft knows best about what people want/need/use and obviously this feature was far down the list of useful features (Probably the next line after start menu).

#13 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 23:29

This is a highly annoying problem

Very. MS choices sometimes boggles the mind.

#14 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:57

Yeah, I hate that we can't choose title bar text color (we could before) or that the text doesn't automatically contrast.

#15 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:03

This is the theme I'm using for Windows 8 and I haven't come across any usability issues:

Posted Image