Yoshida on Oculus Rift: We have dev kits, 'I love it'

Sony Computer Entertainment head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida is a big Oculus Rift fan, it turns out. "We've got a couple of the development kits, and I tried it out and I love it," he told us in an interview this morning at E3 2013. Whether the PlayStation 4 will support it is another question. "No, it doesn't," Yoshida told us. Not yet, that is.

When we asked whether the company's planning on offering support in the future, he only offered a "No comment" with a big smile. The picture of the retail Oculus Rift is potentially a bit clearer now, especially given this week's addition of an HD version of the headset. We'll be sure to keep on Sony about Oculus support on the PlayStation 4 as the year goes on.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/playstation-4-oculus-rift/

Oculus Rift is about the ONLY innovation worth taking notice of right now.

Let's face it, the upcoming generation is just more of the same with only slightly better graphics. Still not sure if I will bother, not having turned my 360 on for over 6 months.

• Like 2

What type of connectors does the rift have? If it used HDMI for video and USB to transmit sensor data then any console could support it (Which would be awesome)

What type of connectors does the rift have? If it used HDMI for video and USB to transmit sensor data then any console could support it (Which would be awesome)

So far it uses a DVI/HDMI + USB Connector for the interfacing, the commercial version will likely be the same thing.

From what I have heard you really need to pair it with Kinect to make Oculus Rift really well. Then that would be literally game changing.

Shame the Kinect is connected to the Xbox One.... Also I'm not sure I want to flail around my living room with what is basically a blindfold attached to my face.

So far it uses a DVI/HDMI + USB Connector for the interfacing, the commercial version will likely be the same thing.

Sounds good, hopefully they could tie into the existing 3D rendering functionality offered.

• 1 month later...

PS4 Developers have confirmed they are using an Oculus Rift devkit and are hinting at future support for the Virtual Reality platform.

Shuhei Yoshida (Head of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios) was asked if the PS4 supports the Oculus Rift and he said 'Not Yet" *hint* *hint*

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/playstation-4-oculus-rift/

• 2 weeks later...

Shame the Kinect is connected to the Xbox One.... Also I'm not sure I want to flail around my living room with what is basically a blindfold attached to my face.

Think the move and it's controllers actually work pretty well with the rift. Still blindfolded but at least your just moving a hand and not wandering around