osx9

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 OP The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:29

Installed last night, no issues atm. Im still new to OSX and so far its running great

#32 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 June 2013 - 23:40

I'm glad to read that performance has improved, Mountain Lion was hardly snappy. That alone is a good enough reason for me to try 10.9

#33 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:02

Depends on the price. I can't see paying much, if anything, for Finder tabs and a re-skinned Calendar.

The upgrade is going to be $29.99 for single user and $49.99 for a 5-user family pack as it has been for the past couple years. Just find some family/friends with macs and split the cost of the family pack so that it becomes $10/mac. Even if you have just one other friend, you have save money by spending only $25 each.

I'm really excited about finder tabs as I can see my productivity going through the roof because I always have to move around multiple finder windows to get a good view.

#34 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 17 June 2013 - 13:23

The upgrade is going to be $29.99 for single user and $49.99 for a 5-user family pack as it has been for the past couple years.

OS X Mountain Lion costs €15,99 ($19,99). For that price it can be installed onto multiple Macs. The latter goes for OS X Lion too.

#35 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 17 June 2013 - 14:31

I wish they would update the App Store so it doesn't feel like its just a website in a window and feels more like an actual application. I am pretty excited for Mavericks though with all the under the hood changes it comes with, and tabs on Finder is going to be extremely useful! I stay away from betas for my actual desktop PC so I will be waiting for final release before upgrading.

#36 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 17 June 2013 - 16:14

OS X Mountain Lion costs €15,99 ($19,99). For that price it can be installed onto multiple Macs. The latter goes for OS X Lion too.

Yeah, I listed the OSX Lion pricing by mistake. But either way, $29.99 is worst case scenario and hardly expensive to reap the benefits.

#37 neuroticdave

neuroticdave

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5s on iOS 7

Posted 17 June 2013 - 16:58

I've been running 10.9 for a week now, and I have had not one single crash, bug, or error come up. It does boot a lot faster on and runs a lot peppier than ML did. It also bumped up the battery life nicely on my rMBP. I haven't seen the tabs in Finder, though. Do I have to enable it, or something?

#38 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 June 2013 - 17:08

I'm glad to read that performance has improved, Mountain Lion was hardly snappy. That alone is a good enough reason for me to try 10.9

This.

ML was slow on my MBP. I went back to Lion. I'm really hoping 10.9 will be a good upgrade

#39 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google

Posted 17 June 2013 - 17:16

I have been running it since Friday night on my mid 2012 Macbook Pro. I must say it does feel snappier for sure. My problem is, I created a 64gig partition for it and after  install and copying my ML stuff over it took up 63gigs..  LOL I need to make the partition bigger. 

#40 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:12

Installed it on my iMac & MacBook Pro, and it runs great. I really love the improvements they have made for multiple displays with Mission Control! Super!!

iOS 7 I'm not so fond of... the icons look dreadful and since I'm running it on a iPhone 4, I have no transparencies so it looks quite dreadful. Hopefully I'll have an iPhone 5 soon, and I'm sure it'll look & run a lot better on that device. Hopefully they will sort our the inconsistencies that are still in the current beta...

iOS 7 will indeed look *wrong* on any non-Retina iDevice - even the iOS Simulator drives that home with a jackhammer. (The basic iOS SImulator is included with Xcode 5-DP; though the iPad is NOT included, three iPhones (one non-Retina and two differently-sized Retina devices) are included.  If you compare a non-Retina display to a Retina display, you get basically smacked about with a still-live trout.)  Care to bet that this is, in fact, planned?

As far as Mavericks DP1 itself goes, it is indeed snappier than Mountain Lion (with which I am dual-booting).

#41 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:49

Finally a Dutch dictionary in OS X Mavericks, which I was able to port over to OS X Mountain Lion! :woot: It took Apple only eight years to include support in OS X...

(I understand how that isn't exiting to most people here, but it is to me :laugh: )

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 11.53.25.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 11.49.31.png

#42 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:36

OMFG ! French dictionnary too ! For me this is definitely a breakthrough feature, only they should have included it a looooong time ago.

#43 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:43

You can install the new dictionaries in OS X Mountain Lion by drag 'n' dropping the files from your OS X Mavericks installation and enabling them in Dictionary's preferences.

They're located in: /Library/Dictionaries.

#44 Sl33pyD

Sl33pyD

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:45

This.

ML was slow on my MBP. I went back to Lion. I'm really hoping 10.9 will be a good upgrade

Did I miss something??? After I upgraded to Lion on my 2010 MBP it felt really slow. 

When they released Mountain Lion I put a fresh install on my MBP and it felt much better than Lion. But it might have been due to the fact I upgraded to Lion and didn't do a fresh installation.

#45 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:06

You can install the new dictionaries in OS X Mountain Lion by drag 'n' dropping the files from your OS X Mavericks installation and enabling them in Dictionary's preferences.

They're located in: /Library/Dictionaries.

Nice ! I already had a French Dictionnary since Lion, but it was so wrong and full of crap. I followed a guide back then to put custom Dictionaries in it and it was more complicated than one could have imagined.

So far, I really love Maps, this should have been added last year at the same time Apple Maps came out on the iPhone. Only performance-wise I'm experiencing slow loading when zooming in-and-out in 3D Satellite view, and the app lags a loooooottttt on my MacBook Pro 2010. Only thing missing is : common transportation, and bicycle :) Oh, and kayak :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!