Photo

DRM and Unauthorized Console modding/rooting the system Dead?

xbox one

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:39

I found it odd they didn't mention anything about their own drm software to protect their system from modchip or rooting the system. If their adding drm to the system there's more to it then just the software end as well.

#2 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:46

If anything, their current model(xbox one) will only make people try harder to break it, and when they finally do, more people will use it.

#3 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:48

If anything, their current model(xbox one) will only make people try harder to break it, and when they finally do, more people will use it.

Agreed to the first half, not so sure about the second.

#4 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:07

Agreed to the first half, not so sure about the second.

I'm not saying more people will pirate, but more people will choose the ability to play games they've purchased offline.

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:14

I'm not saying more people will pirate, but more people will choose the ability to play games they've purchased offline.

I wasn't thinking about piracy at all, but the most predominant use of a hacked console is to run 3rd party software, and it's often limited to a specific (reads: power user) group of owners.
Personally I can't see how a hacked console will seriously increase the sales of said console.

#6 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:17

very likely Xbox One will employ 'SecureBoot' to prevent any usages of non standard Xbox One's OS.
so, yeah you can't repurpose the xbox one into something else, except paper weight. ;)

#7 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:20

very likely Xbox One will employ 'SecureBoot' to prevent any non standard Xbox One's OS.
so, yeah you can't repurpose the xbox one into something else, except paper weight. ;)

and who's to say that someone won't find a way around secure boot? ;)
i'm betting it'll happen on both windows RT and the One at some point

#8 OP Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:24

Agreed sooner or later its going to get cracked

#9 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:29

I wasn't thinking about piracy at all, but the most predominant use of a hacked console is to run 3rd party software, and it's often limited to a specific (reads: power user) group of owners.
Personally I can't see how a hacked console will seriously increase the sales of said console.

Ahh, I guess that's where we both misunderstood, I never meant more people would use/purchase the Xbox One because it's hacked
I meant more people(percentage wise) would use the hack on their already purchased Xbox Ones.

Exactly, it's not a matter of if, but when.

#10 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:37

well the first part in any hacking is actually getting a dump of the software/OS. you cant possibly do anything if you don't know what and when its doing things.

as I understand it, the way the xbox360 OS dump was made was through a dev unit,which allowed access to unencrypted RAM. once the dump was made, holes were found.

the king kong exploit abused a kernel bug found by studying the dump, and used unsigned shaders in the game disc to feed data into memory to perform this hack. the jtag hack uses the gpu jtag and SMC to modify memory to perform the hack.

the RGH glitches the system when the system is doing the bootloader sig checks,and this causes the system to believe the signatures match when in reality the code is not properly signed. none of these hacks would be possible if a dump was not available.

ps3 was dumped by a hack performed in Linux,which allows people to run their own code on the system. once dumped, the first hack used a bug in the USB driver to gain access to the whole system,and this opened the floodgates to other bugs and vulnerabilities that allowed keys to be dumped,which lead to self signing and running other unsigned code. if it weren't for Linux on board, I doubt even today the ps3 is hacked.

im positive current xb1 and ps4 dev units prevent any such memory accesses and third party code is sandboxed from such sensitive areas. the general public will not be allowed to tinker and run their own code on these systems. although I believe you'll be able to run xbox rt apps, I believe this will only be open to select developers who are invited because of their work in the windows 8 store.

unless someone has access to a focused ion beam workstation and has access to chemicals,and other expensive tools to work on 40nm parts, it isn't happening. then again,if someone has access to these things,i doubt they would be hacking consoles .

#11 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:44

although I believe you'll be able to run xbox rt apps, I believe this will only be open to select developers who are invited because of their work in the windows 8 store.

unless someone has access to a focused ion beam workstation and has access to chemicals,and other expensive tools to work on 40nm parts, it isn't happening. then again,if someone has access to these things,i doubt they would be hacking consoles .

WinRT apps are sandboxed, I hope Microsoft keeps it open access.

#12 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:08

WinRT apps are sandboxed, I hope Microsoft keeps it open access.

I hope so too,but the reason why I think it wont be open to all submissions is to keep the quality high. Or,they might make it where anyone can submit,but they will only approve at their discretion.

#13 Raa

Raa

Resident president

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:13

Ahh, I guess that's where we both misunderstood, I never meant more people would use/purchase the Xbox One because it's hacked
I meant more people(percentage wise) would use the hack on their already purchased Xbox Ones.

Sorry, yes you make a very good point in that regard and I do tend to agree. Obviously depending on how the hack would work of course!

#14 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53

Do not underestimate peoples brilliance, thirst for knowledge, and utter contempt for Microsoft. That is a powerful combination.

I give it 2 years, max

Posted Image

#15 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:06

Why is there a questionmark on PS2's "security" and "hacked" columns?