Who's going to "ante up" with ReactOS?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 1,763 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:00

do usb mass storage boot drivers exist for any modern version of windows?

Windows USB drivers have always allowed USB booting, it's Windows itself that doesn't allow it. Windows 8 allows official USB booting but only when you make a portable version (Windows To Go) that I think is restricted to the enterprise version only. There are several guides that explain which INF files to edit to have windows XP/Vista/7/8 boot from USB, good luck with the other drivers (SATA/video/audio/wifi/etc.) though.

#17 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,160 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:22

To be honest, I'm surprised this project hasn't been cancelled yet. I have to ask, just who are they targeting by developing this? They're missing many of the tools needed to complete and support the system.

#18 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,362 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:34

To be honest, I'm surprised this project hasn't been cancelled yet. I have to ask, just who are they targeting by developing this? They're missing many of the tools needed to complete and support the system.

It's not just about making something that is 100% complete, working on something like this shows you have a great deal of understanding of OS's and hardware and API's and whatnot and is a very good way to show off and get a job.

#19 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 1,763 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:46

It's not just about making something that is 100% complete, working on something like this shows you have a great deal of understanding of OS's and hardware and API's and whatnot and is a very good way to show off and get a job.

At Geek squad?

#20 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,362 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 15 June 2013 - 15:31

At Geek squad?

No, software houses. Lots of people that work on FOSS in their spare time have jobs are large companies writing software. Think google summer of code too.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:33

I gave up on this project years ago. I don't see a future for it.

#22 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,647 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 June 2013 - 23:48

I tried this, and having a USB keyboard and mouse for some reason crashed the live CD on boot

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!