Not sure about getting this on the PC if it has wacky DRM Origin stuff, but I'll get it for XB1.

Origin's really not that bad, 'DRM'-wise I'd say its actually slightly better than steam, because its offline mode actually works reliably lol. 

Origin's really not that bad, 'DRM'-wise I'd say its actually better than steam, because its offline mode actually works reliably.

Well that's good to know. I'll keep it in mind.

I dont really get the DRM crap people keep spouting, when you put the disc in to your xbox and type the serial key in it gets attatched to your account, exactly the same way as origin is anyway unless origin requires a check in even when playing a single player?

I'm just hoping they use DX11.  I don't have any major reason to doubt they will especially given 11.2 is the only API for the X1, but the Source engine doesn't have a lot of examples of post DX9 gaming.

Mantle would be cool too, but that seems unlikely for a new dev team unless it's added in post launch.

I'm just hoping they use DX11.  I don't have any major reason to doubt they will especially given 11.2 is the only API for the X1, but the Source engine doesn't have a lot of examples of post DX9 gaming.

Mantle would be cool too, but that seems unlikely for a new dev team unless it's added in post launch.

Mantle isnt for consoles they use there own low level API's which is why they remain graphically competitive to PC's over the years although with mantle for PC's if it does what it says on the tin the performance gap will widen not shrink like the last .

gen.

You need to understand X1 uses a stripped down version of directx specifically designed for the X1, sony uses a stripped down optimised version of opengl for the PS4 so both systems dont have the same CPU bottlenecking with draw calls and the like as PC's usually get

Well looks there is going to be a Beta after all.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

There is a poster that claims Valentines Day as the date for the Beta. Looks like a Titan will be my valentine this year.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5349738/rumor-titanfall-beta-hits-valentines-day

I dont really get the DRM crap people keep spouting, when you put the disc in to your xbox and type the serial key in it gets attatched to your account, exactly the same way as origin is anyway unless origin requires a check in even when playing a single player?

And on the PC side, it is - quite literally - no different than Steam, which many Neowinians swear by - not at.

If you purchase an Origin-redeemable serial key (which you don't need Origin to do) and plug it into Origin, your game/DLC/ULC is delivered in the background - just like Steam. And as to how I can say that, I have both services, and recently redeemed an ULC (UnLockable Content) purchased elsewhere (specifically, via the GameStop e-storefront for Windows, I purchased the Cities of Tomorrow ULC for the current Simcity, which I bought retail).  Valve and Steam wrote the model - however, it's used by everyone these days, Origin (EA and tons of retail and e-tail partners, including GameStop and Best Buy), Amazon and Google Play (both for Android), Apple (iTunes and the Mac AppStore), and Microsoft (Windows Phone, RT, and Windows 8.1 AppStore).  I have most of them (the only exceptions are Windows Phone and RT) and have used those that I have - in what way do they work any different from even each other except in terms of time to fulfill?  Do the Origin-related partners compete with each other?  They certainly do - I bought from GameStop because they had the best price ($10USD less than Origin, and $5USD less than other Origin-connected storefronts or retailers - including Best Buy) - the same applies to Steam.  In other words, the competition is still there, unless there is only the single source for e-purchases (which IS the case with iTunes and the Mac AppStore); however, it's not the case with either Origin or Steam.

My only quibble with the Titanfall beta (from what I have heard so far) is that it will be more like the two SimCity betas, as opposed to either BF4 or even the Crysis 2/Crysis 3 betas - the Simcity betas required a pre-order (neither was truly *open*), whereas the BF4 beta, Crysis 2 MP beta, and the MP beta for Crysis 3, were wide open - there was no pre-order requirement at all (except for the first day).  However, that requirement is certainly open to change.

Honestly if you are okay with the controller I'd say go with the Xbox One version, purely because I imagine MS will try and push that version as the best one, you know

As for pre-ordering, Origin will be digital download on PC only, but your local Gamestop should be taking pre-orders for all formats.

GameStop WILL be taking orders for all formats - they are also an Origin e-storefront partner (for platforms that support Origin).  As to whether or not they can undercut Origin pricing, they certainly can - in fact, they have for other Origin-deliverable content, regardless of platform (I've pointed out the Cities of Tomorrow ULC example in other posts) - it's why I have GameStop on my shortlist for e-purchases.

GameStop WILL be taking orders for all formats - they are also an Origin e-storefront partner (for platforms that support Origin).  As to whether or not they can undercut Origin pricing, they certainly can - in fact, they have for other Origin-deliverable content, regardless of platform (I've pointed out the Cities of Tomorrow ULC example in other posts) - it's why I have GameStop on my shortlist for e-purchases.

Ah okay sweet, never heard of this e-Storefront dealio. So you can just head on in and purchase the game and they give you a CD Key\Download code?

Well looks there is going to be a Beta after all.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

There is a poster that claims Valentines Day as the date for the Beta. Looks like a Titan will be my valentine this year.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5349738/rumor-titanfall-beta-hits-valentines-day

aka a "demo" in all but name :P Good news though, definitely required from both a technical standpoint and to let people get a taste for it before dropping ?40 on new IP.

• Like 2

Titanfall for PC is made by an entirely different studio, so they probably make their own choice which tech they use to create the game for PC.

Just in case the beta does release on Valentines day, I came prepared.
1782097_10151835874761809_410836562_n.jp

Titanfall for PC is made by an entirely different studio, so they probably make their own choice which tech they use to create the game for PC.

I believe it has always been the case that Respawn are doing both the PC and Xbox One version, whilst the studio for the Xbox 30 version was officially announced. Where did you hear about another studio for the PC port?

I believe it has always been the case that Respawn are doing both the PC and Xbox One version, whilst the studio for the Xbox 30 version was officially announced. Where did you hear about another studio for the PC port?

I stand corrected. It was a while ago I read the news about that so I could only vaguely remember it; and I was too lazy to look it up before posting. I apologize.

Ah okay sweet, never heard of this e-Storefront dealio. So you can just head on in and purchase the game and they give you a CD Key\Download code?

Basically - the GameStop e-storefront is actually the older ImpulseDriven platform that GameStop bought from Stardock.

(That was a FP article on Neowin last year.)

Jesus christ, open a Titanfall topic and just get five pages of people whining about PC gamers/gaming. What the ****?

It has nothing to do with Titanfall - it's a complaint about multiplatform shooters, if not multiplatform games in general (it came up with the original Crysis, for example).

Heck, *I* caught an earful on Neowin when I mentioned playing the original Hot Pursuit with a keyboard.

I get even more grief, considering I play all (not most) of my games with a *wireless* keyboard.  (You would think that I'd been caught in coitus interruptus with HoTS Kerrigan.)

Meh racing games and keyboards have always been crap together.

and I show you trackmania, an esport grade racing game, where some of the best players in the world play with.... a keyboard, those that don't, they play with a gamepad. 

Considering TItanfall is running on the Source engine, I'm not concerned about the PC port, especially since Respawn is doing it themselves (unlike the 360 version). I don't get why some PC gamers here are so negative about it being a multiplat game, I'm quite sure the game will play just fine on a gamepad on PC, and play just as good on keyboard and mouse on PC.

Considering TItanfall is running on the Source engine, I'm not concerned about the PC port, especially since Respawn is doing it themselves (unlike the 360 version). I don't get why some PC gamers here are so negative about it being a multiplat game, I'm quite sure the game will play just fine on a gamepad on PC, and play just as good on keyboard and mouse on PC.

People just tend to find a way to be angry when things aren't catered to just them and only them, such is the way of the entitled gamer.

and I show you trackmania, an esport grade racing game, where some of the best players in the world play with.... a keyboard, those that don't, they play with a gamepad. 

True.

Keyboards are always available, and you never have to play Musical Plugs with them - unlike controllers or racing wheels.  That was true when I had a WIRED keyboard, and is just as true today with my wireless one.

The negativity is not due to it being multiplatform, but entirely due to wondering if it will have controller-isms (as even some PC games have been known to have, such as both the original Wipeout and the sequel - yes, both were also available for PC).  The presence of such leads folks to thinking that the PC version was not planned.