Why is Neowin so biased towards Xbox?

I know, but the forums are getting silly. I wanted to discuss PS4 and now every thread is filled with the same people, vcfan, ctrl-alt-del, yogurtmaster, etc.. all proclaiming that PS4 sux and XB1 is so much better. There is that much of a circlejerk they all upvote each others posts, its pathetic.

Those kind of people are tiring (not talking about anyone specific). I just try to ignore those kind of people because the more you reply to them, the more they will post and derail a topic. Or turn a topic in to a troll/flame war. I am all for debating, but when you have to debate using words like suck or insults, its no longer a debate. Its a headache I dont want, or like, to deal with.

I mean, I think we all know Neowin is biased towards Microsoft Xbox and I'm sure there's a bit of money being thrown around. But seriously, this is a bit comical just how skewed the frontpage is towards Xbox when there is plenty of news coming out of E3 for Sony's PS4.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/VmGJ5sU.jpg

I counted at least 19 Xbox related articles and 2 PS4 articles...

EDIT: update title and wording to better reflect my opinion (Xbox versus Microsoft in general)

Neowin is a Microsoft-centric site. Yes, we cover other technology companies, but news in relation to Microsoft is always going to be our bread-and-butter coverage area. As has already been pointed out, our name is a direct reference to Microsoft's most popular product.

With that said, have you read the articles that you claim make us "biased"? We've covered all angles extensively -- Microsoft's games for Xbox One, the fact that DRM is getting slammed by everyone, etc.

Furthermore, there are ways to tip us about stories you'd like to see covered, and you're free to apply to become a writer here yourself if you'd like.

The fact Neobond liked that post says everything about this site.

Especially when it comes from a ****ing moron who doesn't know the first thing about Playstation too busy wanking over his Xbox.

Yes that was totally worth the ban.

If you don't like Neowin, you're free to find a site that meets your needs better. Neowin is free, and no one's forcing you to be here. As Neobond already said, he's not even a gamer -- you're jumping to a lot of conclusions. Furthermore, your previous post about how everyone here is so anti-Sony is pretty silly. We've had the same issue where users who support Sony go through and rate everything in the Microsoft gaming section one star, and some users only post negative news about the company in there. Yes, there are more Microsoft fans on the site because that's our primary focus, but don't imply this is a one-way street.

If you see problematic posts, REPORT THEM. That's what the button's there for.

• Like 3

I know, but the forums are getting silly. I wanted to discuss PS4 and now every thread is filled with the same people, vcfan, ctrl-alt-del, yogurtmaster, etc.. all proclaiming that PS4 sux and XB1 is so much better. There is that much of a circlejerk they all upvote each others posts, its pathetic.

To be fair it swings both ways here.

You only seeing it from your 'sony point of view', thats not me calling you a fanboy by the way.

It's how arguments like this always work.

A few thoughts...

* If we are going with the argument that "NeoWin - win for Windows"... Fine, so explain this - if the site is for new releases of windows (taking that argument to it's logical conclusion) - why are there threads about girlfriend issues. You can't have it both ways - it either is open to everything, or about one core subject area.

* What information about the PS4 is there that hasn't been reported? - Spot on. I have learned everything I know about the PS4 here. And one thread about how they are not being revolutionary. I don't disagree. They are all clear logical steps in the evolution from PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4. XBox have made some major changes in their structuring for the Xbox arena, moving it from a gaming device to a lifestyle device that also games. They have made some pretty major changes to the way they see us buying and playing games. Maybe rightly, maybe wrongly - but either way, it's going to foster a culture of conversation over these points. The PS4 is more a case of "OK, makes sense, cool".

• Like 2

Like this Yogurtmaster idiot, saying PS4 has no games then when I give him a list of games that were at the conference he went through and said multiplatform and indie games don't count and how Sonys conference was crap and he wonders why I even like PS4.

I ignore those kind of people and anyone who responds/likes his comments as well. Just probably immature kids not even worth your time.

• Like 1

You mean, the PS4 threads are now what you, Nashy and boxy have been making the xbox threads... and NOW you complain...

It would be best if everyone talked about the benefits of their own platforms instead of going out of the way to talk trash about the other platform. But honestly, it's somewhat hypocritical to complain about something when you where a big part of doing it in the first place.

* If we are going with the argument that "NeoWin - win for Windows"... Fine, so explain this - if the site is for new releases of windows (taking that argument to it's logical conclusion) - why are there threads about girlfriend issues. You can't have it both ways - it either is open to everything, or about one core subject area.

why can't we have it both ways?

Pot Kettle Black

• Like 3

Agreed, your opinion is probably the only one of the "other side" I respect, you handle my sometimes over the top defending of PS4 the correct way, explaining why you think I am wrong and giving your own opinion without the smug attitude.

Probably because i'm not 'on the other side' i genuinely am interested in what both companies are trying to do.

I do get sick of the threads in both forums though, it's becoming increasingly hard to read facts.

• Like 2

why can't we have it both ways?

Because the arguments are mutually exclusive?

If the site is to be out new windows releases (as a mod earlier suggested - and was the original reason for the site) - how can it then also be about girlfriend issues and such? It's one or the other. Or a third idea (which is the reality here) that it's a general tech site that has evolved into real world issues also. Which is absolutely spot on.

Except that negates the argument that someone gave about NeoWIN being a WINdows forum. Thus using the name NeoWIN to justify a site-wide XBox bias is a very weak argument.

You're conflating the news we report with allowing members of the forum to talk about pretty much whatever they want. It has nothing to do with having it both ways. We don't report on girlfriend issues.

Fair enough, they are probably discussing whether to ban me or not, so peace out.

Stop trying to martyr yourself. You're being rude of the sake of being rude in the hopes that you'll get banned and I don't understand why. There are reasonable ways to have discussions and you're not doing any of them. If you have issues, please discuss them and draw them to our attention with some sort of intelligent conversation. As it is, you're just trying to pick a fight.

Because the arguments are mutually exclusive?

If the site is to be out new windows releases (as a mod earlier suggested - and was the original reason for the site) - how can it then also be about girlfriend issues and such? It's one or the other. Or a third idea (which is the reality here) that it's a general tech site that has evolved into real world issues also. Which is absolutely spot on.

Except that negates the argument that someone gave about NeoWIN being a WINdows forum. Thus using the name NeoWIN to justify a site-wide XBox bias is a very weak argument.

We're a technology website, so we report on tech news. The forum is another matter entirely. There was no justification of any sort of bias, merely a reasoning as to why we cover Microsoft more than any other technology company.

• Like 3

It seems just the other way around for me.. Seems like most people on here are also against it.. Microsoft is their Own Worst Enemy

Probably because i'm not 'on the other side' i genuinely am interested in what both companies are trying to do.

I do get sick of the threads in both forums though, it's becoming increasingly hard to read facts.

I agree with that point, i am interested in both consoles, i don't like the DRM thing, but i didn't like the steam stuff either but have plenty of games on steam, i generally use DRM stuff until it stops me doing things i want to do. However with the general comments it's getting harder and harder to browse the forums and i am having to go to other sites more and more, which is a shame as i do like the style of reporting and the forums on neowin.

I don't see why there is a problem with the site having a main focus whilst being able to have discussions about things that are not the main focus.

You can have a job with core responsibilities yet do things that are unrelated to those main responsibilities. not everything is black and white :blink:

ah well.

• Like 2

You're conflating the news we report with allowing members of the forum to talk about pretty much whatever they want. It has nothing to do with having it both ways. We don't report on girlfriend issues.

Very fair point. For the record, I can't say as I've felt it biased, if anything I have made 99% of my decision to get a PS4 from this site.

Was just sharing a view :)

• Like 2

Just do as I do and pickup some slack by posting a ton of Sony (or Nintendo if that's your thing) topics in the forum. You'll never get a 50/50 site, but yes, Neowin on the whole is far more pro-MS, even on the staff front.

:rofl:

I have been doing, nothing seems to be happening.

I know I went a bit over the top criticising in Microsoft threads but I stopped posting as I got sick of the conflict, now it's all spilling into PS4 threads.

Just ban me and have done with it.

Let me ask you this - what you were doing was "over the top criticism" and what others are doing is "trolling", did I get that right?

We don't report on girlfriend issues.

Are you listening Neobond, there is a business idea for growing the userbase!

As evidence from Baji above what I do see on Neowin is the MS fans try a lot harder to rile up Sony fans with snide remarks, where as their upset seems to come from "stop posting negative articles".

As evidence from Baji above what I do see on Neowin is the MS fans try a lot harder to rile up Sony fans with snide remarks, where as their upset seems to come from "stop posting negative articles".

Do you want me to go and search for that screenshot of your posts in the XBox forums?

FTR, it wasn't stop posting -ve articles (nice spin btw) BUT stop posting ONLY -ve articles(i.e. post everything). You claim to have busy real life whenever there is +ve/neutral Xbox news but you have all the time in the world if there is even a slight -ve angle. You also claim to post only what interests you, so there you have it.

So stop the BS, everyone knows what you are already.

• Like 3

This post is great. you're accusing someone else of doing what you yourself do with that very same post... and that's just one of the things wrong with your post/argument.

If you're going to accuse someone of something, make sure you're not doign the exact same thign yourself, especially in the very post you're accusing in. it's kind of the calling someone a troll thing, whether they are or not, calling someone a troll is still considered trolling.

• Like 3

Do you want me to go and search for that screenshot of your posts in the XBox forums?

FTR, it wasn't stop posting -ve articles (nice spin btw) BUT stop posting ONLY -ve articles(i.e. post everything). You claim to have busy real life whenever there is +ve/neutral Xbox news but you have all the time in the world if there is even a slight -ve angle. You also claim to post only what interests you, so there you have it.

So stop the BS, everyone knows what you are already.

Exactly what I'm talking about, witch hunts on members of the GH. A gang mentality to try and make people feel unable to post anything that you do not want them to.

Take a page out of Spenser.D's and GP007s books. They're obviously MS fans, but in topics they don't agree with they simply oppose the argument, not the person. You and Hawkman steamroll the person posting and start calling them FUD spreaders and the likes.

I gave up on talking about the consoles. It isn't fun. We disagree on the services offered, whatever works. They practically have the exact same hardware other than Kinect this go, it's the services offered that differentiate em.

Until more games come out that show the strengths of the platform there isn't really much else to add without someone accusing you of bias or being an idiot or whatever.

I know some people go over the top in the MS camp. I'm sure I have once or twice, but I try to be reasonable when people aren't being dinks.

The whole point of this thread was to simply point out the "news" and how it was clearly skewed towards the Xbox. The PS4's price was technically announced AFTER the Xbox One's and has clearly been huge with almost every media outlet. The fact that one of the top 3 articles is discussing the Xbox One's price just goes to show how skewed the new is.

That's essentially what I was pointing out.

The whole point of this thread was to simply point out the "news" and how it was clearly skewed towards the Xbox. The PS4's price was technically announced AFTER the Xbox One's and has clearly been huge with almost every media outlet. The fact that one of the top 3 articles is discussing the Xbox One's price just goes to show how skewed the new is.

We went through endless amounts of people griping about the Windows 8 coverage...If you have news to report, then report it. Write it yourself if it bothers you.

Otherwise all you're doing is complaining about other people putting in their time and effort on things that interest them, which seems kind of pointless. The site wouldn't be here without them.

Exactly what I'm talking about, witch hunts on members of the GH. A gang mentality to try and make people feel unable to post anything that you do not want them to.

Take a page out of Spenser.D's and GP007s books. They're obviously MS fans, but in topics they don't agree with they simply oppose the argument, not the person. You and Hawkman steamroll the person posting and start calling them FUD spreaders and the likes.

I only call people out on spreading FUD when they actually do.

Like posting that Forza 5 won't be 1080p60 after it's been confirmed by the devs.

Or bringing up a debunked MS/NSA aerticle.

or posting about the "negative" effects of a DRM while claiming there is no positives.

you know I could keep going. but it's besides the point. and you're again accusing people of doing what you yourself are doing. and gang mentality... seriously, the pack leader of Boxy, nashy and marty is talking about gang mentality. Grow up and stop throwing accusations for which you have no grounds. it doesn't reflect well on yourself. Certainly not when thos same accusation would then apply at least as much to yourself.

Neowin already announced when they closed the neoGamr failure that gaming focus would now be on MS as it IS an MS focused site. For a MS focused site there's a damn lot of PS4 news here.

Remember E3 is a big arrangement. if you've ever been to an expo like this, you would know that as a gaming journalist or visitor, you don't have a chance to visit everything. as such you have to prioritize. when you work for an MS focused site, that means you will be prioritizing the MS focused stands and presentations.

You don't ditch an MS presentation or closed showing visit to check out something on the Sony or Nintendo side when you are there on behalf of a Neowin, an MS focused site. If you want a site that focus on everything, there's gaming sites with more journalists who try to cover everything. if you want more PS news, there's PS focused gaming news sites as well.

it's all about prioritizing, as long as there's limited hours in the day and only so many stands you can visit and overlapping presentations.