Sony says PS4 ‘demand may well outstrip supply’

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:16

Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House has suggested that PS4 “demand may well outstrip supply” after the console made all the right headlines at E3 this week. Speaking to the Wall Street Journal, the PlayStation boss said Sony has raised internal sales forecasts for the upcoming console following the positive reception shown by consumers and retailers over the past few days.

Sony revealed the actual PS4 hardware for the first time on Tuesday at its E3 press conference, where it also announced a Christmas release date in Europe and the US and a PS4 price of £349 / €399 / $399, which is $100 less than Xbox One’s launch cost. Consumers and retailers alike also reacted positively to the news that PS4 won’t impose restrictions on used games or require regular online check-ins, unlike Microsoft’s console.

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton said GameStop executives had told him the retailer would purchase "every single [PS4] unit" Sony can manufacture, a claim the WSJ verified with a spokesperson for the retailer. Meanwhile, SCE UK MD Fergal Gara told GamesIndustry.biz PS4 isn't in "mass manufacture right now" but that he expected to have “very significant stocks for the UK".

Source

#2 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:20

How is that news?
Almost every console sells out at launch regardless of popularity.

#3 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:23

As with every console release cycle, be prepared for scalping. I would not be surprised to see ps4 selling close to double retail on craigslist or ebay during the first couple weeks as people try to get their hands on it. Considering they are doing a global rollout to all regions simultaneously, that is going to further constrain supplies.

#4 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:23

How is that news?

Yes. But I don't think they where expecting THIS many people to want one now.. Just from my facebook and reading comments on other gaming sites.. I would say at least 60% of xbox one people are now PS4 people..

^Not intended to start a flamewar. If you are going to quote me to argue.. do some research.

#5 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:26

This was expected because Sony did everything right with the ps4 and didn't alienate it's gamers. The poor Wii U has been left out of all of these debates and arguments. Why isnt everyone talking about how awesome the Wii U is with its tablet-esque controller?

#6 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:28

Yes. But I don't think they where expecting THIS many people to want one now.. Just from my facebook and reading comments on other gaming sites.. I would say at least 60% of xbox one people are now PS4 people..

^Not intended to start a flamewar. If you are going to quote me to argue.. do some research.

Most people say they might switch to ps4 now, but there's still a lot of time to change their minds, especially if MS grows a brain and backs down on drm closer to launch despite their strong stance right now. MS simply has no incentive to do this since they haven't started preorders yet to gauge their demand, which will surely be low when they do.

This was expected because Sony did everything right with the ps4 and didn't alienate it's gamers. The poor Wii U has been left out of all of these debates and arguments. Why isnt everyonr talking about how awesome the Wii U is with its tablet-esque controller?

Wii/Nintendo never aimed to fight head to head with xbox and ps4. They are a class of it's own when it comes to casual gaming, and not for playing hardcore FPS gaming like CoD. The Mario franchise alone is worth getting it as a primary console for most casual gamers, and even better as a secondary console.

#7 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:32

As expected, i expect the same for XB1 too. It's a common marketing technique to make people panic in to pre-ordering.

This was expected because Sony did everything right with the ps4 and didn't alienate it's gamers. The poor Wii U has been left out of all of these debates and arguments. Why isnt everyone talking about how awesome the Wii U is with its tablet-esque controller?

Can we possibly try not to turn this in to another flame fest?

#8 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:32

As must as most people say they might switch to ps4 now, there's still a lot of time to change their minds, especially if MS grows a brain and backdowns on drm closer to launch despite their strong stance right now. MS simply has no incentive right now to do this since they haven't started preorders yet to gauge their demand, which will surely be low when they do.

Wii/Nintendo never aimed to fight head to head with xbox and ps4. They are a class of it's own when it comes to casual gaming, and not for playing CoD. The Mario franchise alone is worth getting it as a primary system for most casual games.

Seeing the way Microsoft transformed over the past few years I can't imagine them changing their mind. They're making worse decisions every day yet fail to see it.

#9 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:35

I always wish the best for Nintendo because they had the first sucessful console (nes) and they always put the fun factor first. I still have my NES and still works. Playing Super Mario bros 2 & 3 is extremely fun and is timeless. Nintendo and Sony way back then were working together to put a console out, which obviously didnt go as planned.

#10 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:38

How is that news?

It is news, not unexpected news, but news nonetheless.

Why does everything have to be breaking news on this forum to some people? It's just a topic people can discuss if they wish. The title was clear, if you felt you already knew this why bother clicking the link?

#11 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:40

Most people say they might switch to ps4 now, but there's still a lot of time to change their minds, especially if MS grows a brain and backs down on drm closer to launch despite their strong stance right now. MS simply has no incentive to do this since they haven't started preorders yet to gauge their demand, which will surely be low when they do.

Wii/Nintendo never aimed to fight head to head with xbox and ps4. They are a class of it's own when it comes to casual gaming, and not for playing hardcore FPS gaming like CoD. The Mario franchise alone is worth getting it as a primary console for most casual gamers, and even better as a secondary console.

Hopefully they will grow a brain.. It's like they want to fail..

#12 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:42

I'm not shocked by this at all. I've lived through enough console releases to know there will be shortages. I've also seen the shortages being used as pr to create even more demand. The ps4 won't be any different.

Seeing the way Microsoft transformed over the past few years I can't imagine them changing their mind. They're making worse decisions every day yet fail to see it.

MS seem willing to change in the face of consumer reaction hence things like win 8.1. The key is for them to see a real consumer reaction against certain things. That means no trolling or personal attacks, just people saying why they dislike features leading them to not buy. I hope MS listens and comes back with a positive solution. I also think they need to strike up a dialog with the gaming community somehow. Talk these things out, explain advantages and work out changes in our favor.

#13 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:51

MS seem willing to change in the face of consumer reaction hence things like win 8.1. The key is for them to see a real consumer reaction against certain things. That means no trolling or personal attacks, just people laying why they dislike features leading them to not buy. I hope MS listens and comes back with a positive solution. I also think they need to strike up a dialog with the gaming community somehow. Talk these things out, explain advantages and work out changes in our favor.

Apparently they haven't learned their lesson with Windows 8/8.1. You can't force change on people, especially when they are vocal even before the product is out. When Win8 beta was out, there was a large portion of testers that simply did not like the lack of the start button, yet they chose to ignore it and the end result is slow adoption. Time and time again, drm just fails to gain traction and more often results in more lost sales than not having it all. Yet MS is still going forward with it. The only positive solutio is to come in line with ps4's policies.

#14 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:55

I just want to see the one where they buy the console and then destroy it in the parking lot. I think the Xbox One is going to get a hell of a beating, people have a lot of rage to release. :D

#15 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 14 June 2013 - 17:32

sony is staying afloat by selling insurance. they cant possibly manufacture a ton of product. their supply is low to begin with.