Photo

Sony says PS4 ‘demand may well outstrip supply’

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 June 2013 - 19:42

It is news, not unexpected news, but news nonetheless.

Why does everything have to be breaking news on this forum to some people? It's just a topic people can discuss if they wish. The title was clear, if you felt you already knew this why bother clicking the link?

When its news about the Xbox One selling its pre-order allowance its okay obviously :p

#17 vetSpyder

Spyder

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2013 - 19:49

preorder now!

#18 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 June 2013 - 20:22

Apparently they haven't learned their lesson with Windows 8/8.1. You can't force change on people, especially when they are vocal even before the product is out. When Win8 beta was out, there was a large portion of testers that simply did not like the lack of the start button, yet they chose to ignore it and the end result is slow adoption. Time and time again, drm just fails to gain traction and more often results in more lost sales than not having it all. Yet MS is still going forward with it. The only positive solutio is to come in line with ps4's policies.

Maybe you haven't been following 8.1, but MS is seriously addressing issues like the lack of a start button and boot straight to desktop. There is a long list of tweaks meant to improve metro and to reduce the 'shock' between the desktop and metro.

MS doesn't have to match Sony's policies to make a compelling case for the X1. If they target Steam policies, they can make it work.

Basically, take away the check in requirement or extend it to something like a month, and you have a system mirroring Steam. Then MS can show off the additional sharing features that make it better than Steam.

Then when it comes to disc based releases, let the user choose. When you first install it, the system prompts you with a choice tying your purchase to a digital copy which gives you all the sharing/access features, play without a disc, etc, but you also get the limitations that go with any digital purchase. If you choose not to, then you must use your disc to play, just as you do now, but you don't have to deal with any restrictions such as the the online checks.

There is room for MS to make both sides happy. I just hope they take it seriously and reach out.

#19 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 14 June 2013 - 23:36

Maybe you haven't been following 8.1, but MS is seriously addressing issues like the lack of a start button and boot straight to desktop. There is a long list of tweaks meant to improve metro and to reduce the 'shock' between the desktop and metro.

MS doesn't have to match Sony's policies to make a compelling case for the X1. If they target Steam policies, they can make it work.

Basically, take away the check in requirement or extend it to something like a month, and you have a system mirroring Steam. Then MS can show off the additional sharing features that make it better than Steam.

Then when it comes to disc based releases, let the user choose. When you first install it, the system prompts you with a choice tying your purchase to a digital copy which gives you all the sharing/access features, play without a disc, etc, but you also get the limitations that go with any digital purchase. If you choose not to, then you must use your disc to play, just as you do now, but you don't have to deal with any restrictions such as the the online checks.

There is room for MS to make both sides happy. I just hope they take it seriously and reach out.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I have been following Win8.1 and well aware of the start button coming back due to "customer feedback." My point is MS should have never let it come this far to begin with and just listened when Win8.0 released the first time around when majority of the beta testers were complaining about it. Yet, they chose to ignore it and assume that users would put up with it. If do decide to that again with xbone, then it wil be too late to recover the xbox users who will buy a ps4 instead by the time they backtrack on some of their policies. I won't deny that there are gross misconceptions and overexagerations about some of the drm-related issues, even I still don't fully understand them nor do I have the time to. MS isn't doing much on their end to clear up the confusion or make it any easier to understand the benefits other than "this is great for supporting the game devs and using xbox live for everything allows us to provide quality content for you" type of responses.

#20 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 15 June 2013 - 00:48

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I have been following Win8.1 and well aware of the start button coming back due to "customer feedback." My point is MS should have never let it come this far to begin with and just listened when Win8.0 released the first time around when majority of the beta testers were complaining about it. Yet, they chose to ignore it and assume that users would put up with it. If do decide to that again with xbone, then it wil be too late to recover the xbox users who will buy a ps4 instead by the time they backtrack on some of their policies. I won't deny that there are gross misconceptions and overexagerations about some of the drm-related issues, even I still don't fully understand them nor do I have the time to. MS isn't doing much on their end to clear up the confusion or make it any easier to understand the benefits other than "this is great for supporting the game devs and using xbox live for everything allows us to provide quality content for you" type of responses.

I agree that they cannot wait a year like try did with win 8 to fix issues. My point was that we need to keep the pressure on them to fix things before launch, or it could be a bloodbath.

I know in the internet age we all get impatient with info, but considering we have months before launch, I want to see the pressure put on MS to fix things for the sake of gamers. It would suck to miss out on the games they have because of this. Not pressure as in screaming attacks, but just laying out the issues.

With BUILD coming up soon, we will be hearing about the dev plans for the X1, hopefully the indie program they mentioned before. They need to use that to start over imo. Then they need to reach out to the community as much as possible and tweak their rules.

Its frustrating as a gamer to have to avoid a console with a strong roster of games. I don't care about the console wars, I usually buy all the consoles, but having to waste time worrying about drm sucks. So to MS.....get your act together and clean this up.

#21 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 June 2013 - 00:57

sony is staying afloat by selling insurance. they cant possibly manufacture a ton of product. their supply is low to begin with.

What on earth are you talking about? Your trolling is beginning to get grating :p

#22 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:42

What on earth are you talking about? Your trolling is beginning to get grating :p

their electronics arm has lost like 9b in the last decade while their financial arm that sells insurance has made 9b. Analysts say their electronics arm is worthless. I'm not making this up. You think they have the financial means to go nuts and manufacture a bunch of product that may not sell?

#23 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:22

their electronics arm has lost like 9b in the last decade while their financial arm that sells insurance has made 9b. Analysts say their electronics arm is worthless. I'm not making this up. You think they have the financial means to go nuts and manufacture a bunch of product that may not sell?

Wait wait wait... we're listening to analysts now? The same people that in any given article will be slammed for pulling things out of their ass? Why the hell are we referencing analysts all of a sudden, if but only because they favor someone's argument? :huh:

You might as well have said, "Some jackasses say their electronics arm is worthless." Reads the same at least.

#24 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:42

Wait wait wait... we're listening to analysts now? The same people that in any given article will be slammed for pulling things out of their ass? Why the hell are we referencing analysts all of a sudden, if but only because they favor someone's argument? :huh:

You might as well have said, "Some jackasses say their electronics arm is worthless." Reads the same at least.

ok some jackasses say their electronics arm is worthless, happy? but that doesn't change the fact that they are in a bad spot financially,and making too much product is risky,and would probably be opposed. theyre selling their office buildings, axing 10,000 people, selling bonds to raise capital,horrible credit rating. do you even pay attention to this stuff. they're in a world of hurt.

#25 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:47

ok some jackasses say their electronics arm is worthless, happy? but that doesn't change the fact that they are in a bad spot financially,and making too much product is risky,and would probably be opposed. theyre selling their office buildings, axing 10,000 people, selling bonds to raise capital,horrible credit rating. do you even pay attention to this stuff. they're in a world of hurt.

And Microsoft is in a world of hurt in terms of PR, as people have been slamming Windows 8 and Xbox One all over the place.

Let's be realistic here: the Xbox One will sell, Windows 8 is already selling, and the PS4 will sell just as well. Why we need all this doom and gloom is beyond me. :ermm:

#26 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:46

And Microsoft is in a world of hurt in terms of PR, as people have been slamming Windows 8 and Xbox One all over the place.

Let's be realistic here: the Xbox One will sell, Windows 8 is already selling, and the PS4 will sell just as well. Why we need all this doom and gloom is beyond me. :ermm:

im not dooming and glooming. im giving an explanation why the "demand exceeding supply" trick is a pr gimmick. I said companies don't go start throwing cash and building as many boxes as they can,especially companies like sony who are doing very bad financially. does it make sense that a company, that has to sell 5 billion dollars in assets but only comes out with 500 million dollars profit in the end, can and has the means to mass produce a product that may or may not sell? can they risk and afford that? .

#27 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 15 June 2013 - 15:38

I think we all know this is a PR stunt, it's a tactic used by loads of companies. I'd argue the Wii was guilty of this when it was released.

We all know Sony is in trouble, I may be wrong but I'm sure by the electronics arm analysts are talking about Sony's TV's etc which have been a major drain on them for quite a while now, and there were whispers that Sony were considering selling it off to try and return the company to profitability. It has got a lot better under Kaz Hirai, no doubt because of the ruthlessness of the cost raising that has been happening at Sony.

I'm sure Sony will be becoming aware now though that the PS4 is most likely going to sell very well initially.

#28 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 June 2013 - 16:02

"demand" - undefined
"may" - weasel word
"supply" - undefined

#29 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:24

im not dooming and glooming. im giving an explanation why the "demand exceeding supply" trick is a pr gimmick. I said companies don't go start throwing cash and building as many boxes as they can,especially companies like sony who are doing very bad financially. does it make sense that a company, that has to sell 5 billion dollars in assets but only comes out with 500 million dollars profit in the end, can and has the means to mass produce a product that may or may not sell? can they risk and afford that? .

First, you should understand that just because a company is losing money, does not mean they will not invest in whatever manufacturing necessary to ensure their next major product will be successful. They must have spent hundreds of millions developing the ps4, and spending a few hundred more to build a proper production line hardly that expensive whether they lose $1 billion or $10 billion.

Second, Sony is divided into two major divisions: electronics and entertainment. As you mentioned, the electronics division is the one that is having some cost control issues in some of their declining products. But ps4 falls under the entertainment division, which is highly profitable, and the playstation division itself has always been profitable in the long run.

So there is no correlation between how much profit/loss the company has and how much resources Sony will put towards ensuring the most maximum supply they get by the holidays. You can't expect them to build five productions lines just for the initial release, but they definitely will be pushing them out at best cost efficiency possible. It just simply stands that the demand from a worldwide launch will make ps4 a rare commodity during the first few months.

#30 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:34

You know why demand will outstrip supply?

Because they're all reliant on AMD, who is probably having manufacturing issues right now what with Temash and Kabini launches and the consoles.

(What console did it NOT outstrip supply, anyway? Heh.)