• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 June 2013 - 22:53

Really? you burn your game discs? really? :rolleyes:

Why not?  I don't need containers full of games I'll never play again.  I still need to look through the manuals for games I don't even have too.

You know because giving them to less fortunate people < burning them in a fire. If you really wanted rid of something that badly that still holds a lot of worth to someone who hasn't experience it I'd like to think most people would either give it to someone as a gift, or even just sell it to make some money to put towards something else you now want/need in your life.

They're PC games.  They have CD keys, bad DRM, or are just so old nobody cares.  And they can't be sold back to the store.

And if less fortunate people can't afford a $5 digital copy of these things they should probably find a better hobby.  (Heck a lot of my digital purchases were on sale for less than that.)

#17 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

joO 4R3 73H L337!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 23:07

Why not?  I don't need containers full of games I'll never play again.  I still need to look through the manuals for games I don't even have too.

I think you're the minority here, of people who like to burn their discs in fire when they're done, the people that like to trade/sell/lend/keep and play 10-15+ years later far outnumber

the pyromaniacs

#18 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 June 2013 - 23:12

I think you're the minority here, of people who like to burn their discs in fire when they're done, the people that like to trade/sell/lend/keep and play 10-15+ years later far outnumber

the pyromaniacs

I totally would if I lived in a city.  Out here it's not like I can put a box on the curb with 'free stuff!' on it.

#19 Ultravires

Ultravires

Neowinian

Posted 18 June 2013 - 23:43

Sorry about not quoting your entire article njbrodeur87, it was just a bit to long to repost all that, however, i don't think they could really offer the family sharing feature while changing the 24hourly check. It would lead to too much abuse or would just make the whole feature useless. Also you stated  "Me and my girlfriend play games together on 2 separate xboxes with our own account. Now i buy said battlefield 4, and share my library. No longer will she also have to buy it. Since the system allows the primary person and one other in your circle to use the same game at the same time, now effectively it will cost us only 30 dollars each for 1 copy of the game". I think this family sharing feature though very cool, will have some restrictions, first of would be the 24hourly internet checks if you are playing your purchased game on your personal console. Your girlfriend who is playing the shared copy would require the 1 hourly checks. Now just say you where to load up your profile on someone elses console, since it is not your personal console, it would require an 1 hourly check, but all of this is required, to prevent abuse of the family sharing feature. Furthermore, if you decided to add other friends to the list, your girlfriend would only be able to access BF4 only if it was not actively being played, where as you could play anytime.

Moreover, i am thinking the family sharing feature would be limited to certain types of games or features, for example, just say you purchased a single player game like Skyrim. Since you purchased the game you would have access to it 24/7 on any console. Your girlfriend who is on your shared family list could access and play Skyrim as well. Now lets look at a multiplayer game like Halo. If you purchased Halo, you would have access to the game anytime, but you would also have access to both the single player and online portion of the game. Your girlfriend, who is a big fan of halo as well. Wants to play the game as well; however, she will only be able to play the single player portion of the game, but if she tried to play the online component she would be greated with a popup asking her if she would like to purchase the game, so she could have access to all the games features. (Potential Sale)

Now lets backtrack a bit, going back to the newly purchased Skyrim game both you and your girlfriend have been enjoying, also lets throw in another two new friends on that shared family list PS4 and Nin. Now just say PS4 and Nin were both able to access your shared library and get a chance to play skyrim at seperate times and they both enjoyed it very much. However, between your girlfriend, PS4 and Nin all trying to access skyrim, Nin decides he doesn't want to deal with the waiting, so he decides he will purchase the game right away. (Potential Sale)

Now what i mentioned here are merly methods they could try and entice players into purchasing the full product, this way both players and publishers benefit from this feature. I have no idea if they have any of this stuff in plan. I just also realized that the restrictions on the single, multiplayer aspects of a game, wouldn't really resemble actually giving someone else the physical copy of the game, since a given copy would have full access to the features and what i described in that scenario would be limited, however i will just leave what i typed up as a possible scenario.

#20 Timoshuu

Timoshuu

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:20

I totally agree with you! People on the internet are unfortunately so ignorant that they just criticise something only because other people do. They only talk about the negative points and not about the positive. They jusy WON'T LISTEN. People think that DRM makes you pay to share games with your friend or family members which is COMPLETELY false!

Xbox One is really cool, but people when you asked them about Xbox One they say: Internet everyday, fee for used games and DRM. Yes, Internet can be a bad thing for some people but I really don't think it affects alot of people. Also there is no used game fee, you just have to give it to a participating retailer.

People on the internet are just so ignorant sometimes... it's just pathetic.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!