• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,023 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 15 June 2013 - 17:51

Although a known thing, I am not a huge fan of this tactic from either side, MS or Sony.

#32 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,002 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 18:19

"Just for giggles"?

We know you are usually misinformed (since you just come and post whatever comes to your mind in any of these posts), but you should really get your facts straight before posting here.

I suppose it's not easy to understand that these games have been in development for quite a while now. That means these games were developed under Windows 7, with tools designed to work in Windows 7 or previous versions. Have you played a PC game designed for one OS and then installed it in a newer operating system? ever? Have you seen the compatibility problems, and other issues they have? Well, starting development in one system and then switching to another one "just because it's modern" and "new-new-gen" is QUITE STUPID... expensive, both time and money wise.

You say I'm misinformed and yet you resort to vague references to past compatibility issues? Hah!

So much for all those Microsoft fans clamouring about how Windows 8 is compatible and is just "Windows 7 but better/faster" eh?

#33 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 18:45

I'm curious exactly what hardware those PCs had. Any info about that?

Still, it's very curious that they used W7 instead of W8, when the Xbone's OS is supposedly based on the latter.

#34 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,148 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 15 June 2013 - 18:49

I think running demos on dev kits is fine, even if they have slightly higher specs. The most important thing is the system architecture.

Running your games on Windows 7 basically means you can demonstrate that 3rd party developers did a great job in writing just another DirectX game with controller support. Hardly anything "Xbox One" about it and it doesn't give you any indication of what the game will be like on the Xbox One at all. Running your games on a dev kit actually means you have your fundamental architecture working properly (with the shared RAM and everything). Huge difference if you ask me.

#35 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,312 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:21

I think running demos on dev kits is fine, even if they have slightly higher specs. The most important thing is the system architecture.

Running your games on Windows 7 basically means you can demonstrate that 3rd party developers did a great job in writing just another DirectX game with controller support. Hardly anything "Xbox One" about it and it doesn't give you any indication of what the game will be like on the Xbox One at all. Running your games on a dev kit actually means you have your fundamental architecture working properly (with the shared RAM and everything). Huge difference if you ask me.

The dev kit still likely has 2-4 times the RAM and a beefier processor though. Cause, you know, they need to actually use it to make games, not just to play them.

#36 Graimer

Graimer

Neowinian

• 312 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:25

Since its such a common practice (which it is) why would they hide that is not xbones in the cabinets but desktop PC's running Windows 7 with nVidia GPU's ?

1st: Because you want to restrict access to the hardware to avoid stealing of equipment or even worse, the game. And glass windows showing a dev-kit is really unnecessary and also easier to break.
2nd: The illusion that it is a Xbox One or PS4. Games are made on a PC, and the OS is running as a VM on the Xbox One, so it would be easy for MS to create a similar virtualization software to run the games at similar specs.

Don't worry about the games. Even though they run on PCs, they will work fine on the console. I mean, they wouldn't release a new console with games on launch date if they were lagging or not working.

#37 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,407 posts
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:27

I thought it was obvious from the lack of Kinect 2 on lots of the game demo areas (especially the indie / new developer games).

#38 Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

• 15,334 posts
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:30

I guess people never would think that the PCs are probably running the same configurations as the Xbone.

#39 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,135 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:44

Why the hell is there so much underhanded press against Microsoft? Is it popular? The hipster thing to do, or what? Seriously, stop going out of the way to create fake stories and news.

Sheesh, everyone knows that dev kits and other PCs are used to run game demos prior to systems being produced and in the dev stages. This was news maybe a decade or more ago.

#40 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,774 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:51

Since its such a common practice (which it is) why would they hide that is not xbones in the cabinets but desktop PC's running Windows 7 with nVidia GPU's ?

Cause the content of all the cabinets aren't the same, depend son the developer. some are just computers running the SDK, other are early production test Xbox ones, others are Dev kit devices.

what's inside is of no interest, they're showing off what's on the screen.

#41 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 15 June 2013 - 20:04

The dev kit still likely has 2-4 times the RAM and a beefier processor though. Cause, you know, they need to actually use it to make games, not just to play them.

2 times the RAM probably, no need for more than that, and no dev kits do NOT have better CPUs in them, they have either fully-clocked stock CPUs or underclocked stock CPUs or either but with extra debug ports direct to the CPU die.

#42 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,208 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 16 June 2013 - 00:47

So porting will be easier?