Thinking about WP8 for my next phone

So my current contract is expiring in just over a month and I've realized that for about an extra 10 bucks I can get a smartphone.  Just to give a little perspective I'm currently using a basic LG flip phone which has worked fine for me over the past 2 years as I really don't use it for much else other than texting/calls.  For the extra 10 bucks I wouldn't mind having the option to keep up on things like sports as I work evenings and it'd be nice to keep up to date on scores and such while at work.

So to cut to the chase I've currently been debating between Windows Phone 8 or Android 4.0.3 (seems to be what's on most phones I've been checking out).  I'm looking for something fairly simple and streamlined, and currently have been leaning more towards Windows Phone 8.  I've read several reviews and there's been nothing glaring wrong with either choice from what I've seen so far.

I won't really be using it for games at all as I've got a Vita/DS that I use if I want to be gaming on the go.  Not a huge facebook or twitter user either so those sorts of things aren't really much of a concern for me either. 

I'm just looking for any extra input on things you may not hear much about that people find useful or don't like with regards to both.  Anything I should be wary of before dropping down the cash on one of them?  Guess I'm just sort of looking for some confirmation that given my basic needs, that this would serve me well for a while.

Things are good, on a phone running Windows Phone, for the most part.

Performance is fluid and smooth and whatnot. Because of the simplistic design structure, you can move through the whole interface without a hint of lag.

App situation is not as bad as it looks on the paper. In my experience, and opinion, app count ain't the issue, trialware is. For someone who is a student, yet, and can't afford to spend 2 bucks everyday or so, the app situation may get a bit frustrating.

One thing you should strongly consider, is the abysmal multi-tasking. Its so badly implemented, its not even funny. For someone who is coming from another platform, multi-tasking really is a hideous, annoying thing to bear

Hardware, external that is, is one of the best, and in some cases, the best you can find  for similar money. 920, 8X, 620, 520. You name it, and they've got it.

If you decide to go with Windows Phone, I'd suggest going with Nokia. They have been the best WP OEM in terms of updates.

I recently made the switch from Android to Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 928) and while I was hesitant, I'm very happy with it.  The interface is very nice, esp comapred to the version of Android I was on.  There are a couple apps (banking and AmazonMP3) that I miss, but other than that, it's been solid.

• 3 weeks later...

I also recently made the switch from Android to Windows Phone. Now was the right time and while I have had some different apps to get used to using, overall I am very pleased. It is so much faster than my old Android phone (though that did run 2.3). Still it feels much better made and I like the consistantcy with the OS and apps (more or less).

While the multi-tasking is a little weird, it isn't horrible since apps not currently front and center are not using any resources (with a few exceptions like music). I find the battery last better with my WP than Android. I do still have an Android tablet and that is JellyBean. While it has better multi-tasking as far as switching apps than WP, I don't care for the Android layout with widgets and icons. I never know what to do with it, too many choices. WP works better for me since I can customize it some, but not so much so that it looks bare or unorganized.

I watched a lot of videos and researched apps before I switched to be sure I wanted to do so. I'm quite satisfied with my Nokia 521.

• 1 month later...

I switched from Android to WP8 as well (Nokia 928) and have been really happy.  I like the WP8 OS much more than Android, but obviously you give up a lot of customization for the smooth, hang free action of WP8.  The app siutation isn't really that bad for me (c'mon Strava, give us a WP8 app!), and I have made it play nice (mostly) with gmail and google calender so I am happy.  Running MS Office works great, what a difference! Playing Halo on my phone also makes me happy.

I own a Nokia Lumia 925 and absolutely love it. Also as others have said, the app situation isnt anywhere near as bad as some articles try to make out. 

Besides, you're coming from a phone that could do little more than make phone calls and write texts. You're really not going to notice the difference, and Windows Phone 8 retains some of the simplicity you are used to, and is buttery smooth, again as others have mentioned already.

I really do recommend the Lumia 925 if you can get it, the phone is slim and light, and has the best smartphone camera out there (with the one exception of the new Lumia 1020).