Photo

Anywhere to find windows 8 discounted?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:56

So I am going to be ordering a new PC,  it comes with Windows 8, It costs more to add Windows 7.  I have a windows 7 OEM 64 bit DVD,  however it's currently used for this PC.  Does anyone know of any place to buy Windows 8 for a discount?  I should have bought it when it was like what $40?  

That way I can get rid of the Dell bloatware. 

#2 YanksOnTop

YanksOnTop

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:14

No need to get windows 8 if it comes preinstalled.  If you have windows 8 pro that is.  You can just follow the directions to load windows 8 to USB stick and you can use the product key that will comes with your new computer. That way you can install a clean version of 8.

If you dont have 8 pro then you need to do some shopping.  Try amazon, microcenter, fryes, tiger direct,new egg.  Those are your best bet for a low price version of windows..

#3 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:25

Well I got my Windows 8 Disc for £50 from PC world.

#4 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:01

No need to get windows 8 if it comes preinstalled.  If you have windows 8 pro that is.  You can just follow the directions to load windows 8 to USB stick and you can use the product key that will comes with your new computer. That way you can install a clean version of 8.

If you dont have 8 pro then you need to do some shopping.  Try amazon, microcenter, fryes, tiger direct,new egg.  Those are your best bet for a low price version of windows..

Could I do this without it being pro?  Could I use someone elses OEM 64 Bit DVD and enter my product key in?

I don't want to spend $90 on an OEM version DVD, If I can use just my key. 

#5 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 20:27

http://windows.micro...roduct-key-only

Could I use that, and enter in my OEM key?  or use a Windows 8 system builder DVD and enter my key?

#6 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 22:02

You can get a windows 8 disc from Dell for reinstalls, without the bloatware.

Only the recovery images have the bloatware.

#7 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 June 2013 - 00:28

You can get a windows 8 disc from Dell for reinstalls, without the bloatware.
Only the recovery images have the bloatware.

You got to pay for it if I remember correctly. Doesn't windows 8 have an option I'm settings to completly erase everything? Wouldn't that work?

#8 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 00:43

you can download the ISO from torrents or other file sharing site and use that to perform a clean install

the Windows 8 OEM Key is stored within the computers BIOS and is specific to the version that was installed.

#9 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 18 June 2013 - 00:47

It shouldn't cost extra to get Windows 7 from Dell, I've ordered from them and it's just a simple change...

#10 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 June 2013 - 00:52

idk why I read windows 8 discontinued

#11 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:34

you can download the ISO from torrents or other file sharing site and use that to perform a clean install

the Windows 8 OEM Key is stored within the computers BIOS and is specific to the version that was installed.

Will any windows 8 DVD work?

#12 Sadelwo

Sadelwo

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:40

Will any windows 8 DVD work?

If the PC came with Windows 8 Core or Windows 8 Pro, pretty much yes. However, if the system comes with "Core Single Language" or a Country specific SKU its a bit more complicated.

#13 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:57

It shouldn't cost extra to get Windows 7 from Dell, I've ordered from them and it's just a simple change...

I don't think they offer it. The offered the same set up with windows 7 for a bit more money.

#14 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:31

Wasn't there a rumor that when Win 8.1 comes out they will have the cheap pricing again for a while

If you can wait that long it might be worth it. I guess they will announce pricing at Build

#15 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:30

Wasn't there a rumor that when Win 8.1 comes out they will have the cheap pricing again for a while
If you can wait that long it might be worth it. I guess they will announce pricing at Build

Well 8.1 is to be a free update to windows 8 users correct? So I should be able to just install that and fresh install it.