Deer: Near Miss - Deer Feces: Direct Hit

Out on a rural sunset joy drive a few days ago South of KC, and this happened.

The deer comes at an angle (rear to front) across the road from my left. I didn't even see it until it was almost right in front of me. I was doing about 50 MPH. I pumped the brakes and it looked right at me, we locked eyes for a split second, and then I saw what I thought was a big brown rock flying right at my face.

The thud you hear was the impact of the deer's lunch from earlier in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6no1rqYrwOQ

This was around 20 min after sunset, and I was testing with "Auto Focus" off, and also had panned away from the road (although the deer and the road are still visible)... So the quality isn't as good as it could have been.

do you keep a camera on all the time?  kinda funny but thing could fly through your windshield and kill you.  ive almost been hit by a big one while mountain biking.  i believe they kill more humans than any other animal.

do you keep a camera on all the time?  kinda funny but thing could fly through your windshield and kill you.  ive almost been hit by a big one while mountain biking.  i believe they kill more humans than any other animal.

I've started keeping a camera on about 60% of the time, half because I'm still learning how to do it best, and half because it would be nice to have some of the things I've seen on the road on video. I love driving, and would like to be able to document my drives sort of like below, as well as some storm chasing out in central Kansas.

I've been doing 100-150 mile rural drives like this about once a week for the last 15 years. It by far wasn't even the closest call I've had with deer (never hit one though, knock on wood). He was a decent distance in front of the car as long as he kept his speed, and would have made it without me having to break if it weren't for the curve, which he probably hadn't accounted for.

Never heard of a deer move it's bowels onto a car while crossing though :)

I've started keeping a camera on about 60% of the time, half because I'm still learning how to do it best, and half because it would be nice to have some of the things I've seen on the road on video. I love driving, and would like to be able to document my drives sort of like below, as well as some storm chasing out in central Kansas.

I've been doing 100-150 mile rural drives like this about once a week for the last 15 years. It by far wasn't even the closest call I've had with deer (never hit one though, knock on wood). He was a decent distance in front of the car as long as he kept his speed, and would have made it without me having to break if it weren't for the curve, which he probably hadn't accounted for.

Never heard of a deer move it's bowels onto a car while crossing though :)

snip

thats cool.  I like this camera angle below.  camera on the dash is also good.

Something very similar happened to me a few years ago, all I could think was SSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! Hit the brakes as hard as I could, barely missed the deer.

Though I didn't have the feces in my close encounter, I had a Ford Galaxy at the time. (In the UK this is a minivan)