Mazda 3 hatchback manual or auto? or mazdaspeed 3

I'm looking to get mazda 3 hatchback or speed 3.  07 or newer.  I've tried a manual a couple times years ago and feel like after driving a auto since I got my license 6 years ago a manual would be interesting.  I just don't want to be like 2 months later with a manual ok this was fun, now I'm tired of it, lol.  I dont live in a city with heavy traffic so no worries there.  I am 99% set on getting a manual, but curious what you guys thought.

Also looking at the speed 3, which only comes in manual.  problem with the speed 3 is its hard to find one, and one that isn't modded.  they also cost about $3000 usd more than a regular 3 hatchback with the same miles.  both cars get great reviews on their handling.  the speed is suppose to have better suspension, a 0-60 in 6 because of its turbo.  regular 3 hatchback has 0-60 in 8.  I also like the sporty seats that keep you in place that the speed 3 has.  besides that the interiors are identical.

thanks.

I'd say go with he manual, but only you can tell whether you think you'll get tired of it. I think both the speed 3 and the regular 3 have fairly easy yet fun clutch/gear box combos.

Get manual, you won't get 'tired' of it, it's what makes driving fun and what prevents you from sleeping at the wheel or daydreaming with a boring auto. The Mazda 3 gearboxes are real fun to switch and have a fairly solid feel, especially for a entry level car.

With regard to Mazda speed, consider a rear wheel drive alternative instead, at least if you have that kind of money to spend you will see real return, you can have a slightly older BMW or Mazda, which would you choose? :) . Turbos and that kind of horsepower aren't exactly meant for front wheel drive, it really is pushing practical limits, and good luck when something brakes down because it will.

Good luck!

Tire of a manual car?! What is this doubt?

I assure you that once you go stick, you will look down at mere mortals with a satisfying 'clunk' as you shift through the gears and dump the burnt clutch =)

As for the car, if you have the money might as well go with latest speed 3, it's a hooligan car. Here's a good review of it versus the Focus ST:

Get manual, you won't get 'tired' of it, it's what makes driving fun and what prevents you from sleeping at the wheel or daydreaming with a boring auto. The Mazda 3 gearboxes are real fun to switch and have a fairly solid feel, especially for a entry level car.

With regard to Mazda speed, consider a rear wheel drive alternative instead, at least if you have that kind of money to spend you will see real return, you can have a slightly older BMW or Mazda, which would you choose? :) . Turbos and that kind of horsepower aren't exactly meant for front wheel drive, it really is pushing practical limits, and good luck when something brakes down because it will.

Good luck!

I have a thing for hatchbacks.  the wrx is overpriced in my opinion.  bmws are nice but expensive to fix.  wish they sold the 1 series wagon in the states.  if I only lived in europe.  so many hatchbacks to choose from.

Tire of a manual car?! What is this doubt?

I assure you that once you go stick, you will look down at mere mortals with a satisfying 'clunk' as you shift through the gears and dump the burnt clutch =)

As for the car, if you have the money might as well go with latest speed 3, it's a hooligan car. Here's a good review of it versus the Focus ST: snip

the exhaust sound on that ford is to die for.  I can't afford the latest of either car.  i watched most of the video, made me sad to hear they said the speed 3 is nothing without the turbo, since I'm considering the regular 3.

I've owned both the manual and the auto. The speed3 is manual only and the 3 has a choice. I would go Speed3. That was one of my favorite cars I have owned.

Get the speed3, otherwise you will regret not getting it. The extra power and better tuned suspension will be nice to have. Plus it will add resale if you decide to sell it down the road. 

I have a thing for hatchbacks.  the wrx is overpriced in my opinion.  bmws are nice but expensive to fix.  wish they sold the 1 series wagon in the states.  if I only lived in europe.  so many hatchbacks to choose from.

the exhaust sound on that ford is to die for.  I can't afford the latest of either car.  i watched most of the video, made me sad to hear they said the speed 3 is nothing without the turbo, since I'm considering the regular 3.

The WRX is better than the Speed 3. It's easier to modify and you can pick them up for dirt cheap since they've been around since 2002. The one down side is that they're all wheel drive, so they're not quite as fast from a roll, but if you want a hoon car, the WRX is the way to go.

RE: Manuals, that's all I drive, and I get stuck in traffic every day. You get used to it after a while and don't even think about it, and then when you want to you can go run up through redline like a real jerk. :laugh:

The WRX is better than the Speed 3. It's easier to modify and you can pick them up for dirt cheap since they've been around since 2002. The one down side is that they're all wheel drive, so they're not quite as fast from a roll, but if you want a hoon car, the WRX is the way to go.

RE: Manuals, that's all I drive, and I get stuck in traffic every day. You get used to it after a while and don't even think about it, and then when you want to you can go run up through redline like a real jerk. :laugh:

Good luck finding a used WRX (or STI for that matter) that's not driven by a boy racer - they're likely going to be more abused, and older cars bring in higher maintenance. Also, an AWD WRX is decently quick off the line - it generally gives you a much better launch, plus its good for rougher weather, only at the expense of added weight. For comparison, a 2007 WRX rates in at 5.6s for 0-60

Good luck finding a used WRX (or STI for that matter) that's not driven by a boy racer - they're likely going to be more abused, and older cars bring in higher maintenance. Also, an AWD WRX is decently quick off the line - it generally gives you a much better launch, plus its good for rougher weather, only at the expense of added weight. For comparison, a 2007 WRX rates in at 5.6s for 0-60

More abused than a speed3? STis you can find in good shape, same with WRX wagons. It's the sedans that are mostly used and abused. On the other hand there are people with 2002s pushing 200k miles on the stock motor.

I had one, I  maintain that it's easier to fix and modify than a speed 3, but they're both fun cars. FWD + a turbo has always seemed like a silly combination to me, but there are certainly cars on the market that do it well (up to a point).

One concern with manuals is that fewer people know how to drive them, so that means fewer people that can drive your car. Depending on the circumstances this could be problematic to you.

Personally I drive a CVT which technically doesn't have any gears and I've fallen in loooove with this type of transmission. Of course you won't find these on Mazda 3s, but they're getting more popular on recent cars.

i am driving 2009 mazdaspeed 3 manual and let me tell you i haven't regretted for buying it. you will never get tired of manual because it is really fun to drive. you can cruise it or WOT it like hell :)

plus, car thief won't steal manual because it is harder to get away from cops lol.

One concern with manuals is that fewer people know how to drive them, so that means fewer people that can drive your car. Depending on the circumstances this could be problematic to you.

Personally I drive a CVT which technically doesn't have any gears and I've fallen in loooove with this type of transmission. Of course you won't find these on Mazda 3s, but they're getting more popular on recent cars.

That's interesting that you say that.  I was on vacation last week and my rental car was a new Altima with a CVT, and it was pretty interesting having never driven a car with that tranny type.  It was strange never having the noise and feel of a gear change.  At first it feels like the car lacked every bit of power, but it actually moved pretty well.  It's a little slow off the line since the CVT is tuned for fuel economy, but overall it was a nice smooth ride.  Since those are cheaper to build and get better gas mileage, I'm sure we'll be seeing those in more and more cars soon enough.

I agree, mazdaspeed 3 and manual. Even the stock Mazda 3s are pretty quick little cars for what they are, but the mazdaspeeds are just that much better. I've driven a manual transmission all my life and I can tell you you won't get bored or tired of it unless you do a lot of stop and go driving which you said you won't. Even then it's not that bad as I would bet the clutch on the Mazdas is pretty light. People who don't drive manuals picture having to shift constantly and it getting annoying, but you really only shift when you take off. After you're at speed you're just cruising in gear, and manuals are far more fun. Hell, I tell people I don't know how to drive an automatic. I always end up stomping on the brake on accident looking for a clutch, haha.

i'd really like the speed 3 but it pushes my budget, most of the time the ones I see that are within budget are modded and thats why.  they seem to hold their value but that isn't good for me since I'm buying used lol.  manuals of the regular 3 are hard to find, but i'll wait it out.  after communicating with dealerships its amazing about bad they are at their job.  from not responding emails to listing a car as a manual then seeing the photos and its actually an auto.

im currently driving an auto - Nissan 350gt - its a nice car, but i do miss driving a manual, nothing better than letting the engine rev high and changing late

There is nothing IMO like a auto. Manual is stupid and makes you want to believe you are racing in F1 but at the end of the day, its a stupid manual.

This is from someone who has always driven manual, never auto.

i'd really like the speed 3 but it pushes my budget, most of the time the ones I see that are within budget are modded and thats why.  they seem to hold their value but that isn't good for me since I'm buying used lol.  manuals of the regular 3 are hard to find, but i'll wait it out.  after communicating with dealerships its amazing about bad they are at their job.  from not responding emails to listing a car as a manual then seeing the photos and its actually an auto.

Speed3 is cheaper than a fully loaded 3 and has more resell value.

There is nothing IMO like a auto. Manual is stupid and makes you want to believe you are racing in F1 but at the end of the day, its a stupid manual.

This is from someone who has always driven manual, never auto.

no, paddle shifters make you want to believe you are racing F1, lol.

it constantly astounds me how the how auto vs manual debate is the complete opposite way in the UK...

i wouldn't dream of buying a car without automatic these days.. well, some form of auto shifter anyway whether that be double clutch, DSG, PDK, SMG or whatever.

it's much more 'flashy' to have a nice autobox than a pauper spec manual car in the uk :)

the only caveat is if you drive a serious performance car, but even then i would probably go with the auto as they are so sophisticated these days and generally nice to live with.

i say go with the auto! :D

it constantly astounds me how the how auto vs manual debate is the complete opposite way in the UK...

i wouldn't dream of buying a car without automatic these days.. well, some form of auto shifter anyway whether that be double clutch, DSG, PDK, SMG or whatever.

it's much more 'flashy' to have a nice autobox than a pauper spec manual car in the uk :)

the only caveat is if you drive a serious performance car, but even then i would probably go with the auto as they are so sophisticated these days and generally nice to live with.

i say go with the auto! :D

thats because you guys are becoming more like americans, kidding.  I see posts in the past like yours from UK guys.  I think manuals were pretty much all you could find in the UK and people got tired of them.  now that theres more autos around people are liking them cause its new and different.  how long have you driven a manual for and how long the auto?

no, paddle shifters make you want to believe you are racing F1, lol.

There is no denying that if you want the fastest shift possible, a modern auto. will spank a manual

thats because you guys are becoming more like americans, kidding.  I see posts in the past like yours from UK guys.  I think manuals were pretty much all you could find in the UK and people got tired of them.  now that theres more autos around people are liking them cause its new and different.  how long have you driven a manual for and how long the auto?

i don't know the reasons why.. it's certainly a cultural thing though

my driving career is only 10 years old, but my first four cars were manual, and rather average, inefficient heaps of rubbish tbh

my last two cars have been from the 'luxury' end of the spectrum and both automatic, and i absolutely love them. My previous car had paddle shifters, and i truly miss them.