Mazda 3 hatchback manual or auto? or mazdaspeed 3

There is no denying that if you want the fastest shift possible, a modern auto. will spank a manual

A dual shift gearbox or any similar transmission will beat a manual (most of the time). A normal geared automatic or a CVT is going to be a complete turd compared to a manual.

But yes,  clutch based automatics are great. They have two downsides:

• Launch control is usually annoying to start or non-existent.
  • If you mod the car and either need to replace the clutch for power reasons or you blow the clutch, it's $$$$ to fix.

Personally, I'm glad I can bounce the needle off the rev-limiter for a few more years.

A dual shift gearbox or any similar transmission will beat a manual (most of the time). A normal geared automatic or a CVT is going to be a complete turd compared to a manual.

But yes,  clutch based automatics are great. They have two downsides:

• Launch control is usually annoying to start or non-existent.
  • If you mod the car and either need to replace the clutch for power reasons or you blow the clutch, it's $$$$ to fix.

Personally, I'm glad I can bounce the needle off the rev-limiter for a few more years.

Sorry yep, that's what I meant - a performance oriented automatic car, not the automatic found in say a Hyundai Elantra or <insert another econobox>. 

it constantly astounds me how the how auto vs manual debate is the complete opposite way in the UK...

i wouldn't dream of buying a car without automatic these days.. well, some form of auto shifter anyway whether that be double clutch, DSG, PDK, SMG or whatever.

it's much more 'flashy' to have a nice autobox than a pauper spec manual car in the uk :)

the only caveat is if you drive a serious performance car, but even then i would probably go with the auto as they are so sophisticated these days and generally nice to live with.

i say go with the auto! :D

The majority of the time I've noticed it's down to this - people who enjoy driving, go for manual. People who don't, prefer auto.

I personally drive an Alfa Romeo MiTo - it has a fantastic engine and makes a great noise - and I couldn't imagine driving it with anything but the fantastic 6 speed manual box that's in it. "Hot hatchback" + auto =  :(

yeah but i drive an auto and also love driving, the two are not mutually exclusive. i toyed with ordering a BMW M135i earlier in the year, and would defo have gone for the auto box...

in the end i went for a diesel instead, but i still specced the auto box! 8-speed ZF transmission is just amazing :D

some high performance cars only come in auto now.. BMW M6, Audi RS5, AMG C63(i think) etc..

The majority of the time I've noticed it's down to this - people who enjoy driving, go for manual. People who don't, prefer auto.

I personally drive an Alfa Romeo MiTo - it has a fantastic engine and makes a great noise - and I couldn't imagine driving it with anything but the fantastic 6 speed manual box that's in it. "Hot hatchback" + auto =  :(

Not necessarily. I enjoy driving, and my past two cars have been auto. The CLS 63 was auto, but then again Mercedes/AMG just mostly use automatic transmissions these days - you basically can't buy a new Mercedes with a manual transmission in the US. My 335xi is an automatic, and this leads me to the next point: the 8 speed ZF transmission. It is an awesome automatic transmission, shifts are indeed very fast. Putting it in D (Eco Pro/Comfort) mode is great for fuel economy. Put it into Sport mode with the transmission on Sport, and you can have some good fun, and it shifts at the right times (if you're not in manual mode). 

yeah but i drive an auto and also love driving, the two are not mutually exclusive. i toyed with ordering a BMW M135i earlier in the year, and would defo have gone for the auto box...

in the end i went for a diesel instead, but i still specced the auto box! 8-speed ZF transmission is just amazing :D

Yep, it is a great transmission! 

Not necessarily. I enjoy driving, and my past two cars have been auto. The CLS 63 was auto, but then again Mercedes/AMG just mostly use automatic transmissions these days - you basically can't buy a new Mercedes with a manual transmission in the US. My 335xi is an automatic, and this leads me to the next point: the 8 speed ZF transmission. It is an awesome automatic transmission, shifts are indeed very fast. Putting it in D (Eco Pro/Comfort) mode is great for fuel economy. Put it into Sport mode with the transmission on Sport, and you can have some good fun, and it shifts at the right times (if you're not in manual mode). 

Yep, it is a great transmission! 

hells yeah!! :D :D :D

Alfa is suppose to be coming to the us at end of this year.  is the Mito considered reliable?  it'd be nice to get one imported, but wouldnt be worth the money.  since Alfa is just talking about bring the 4C to the us at first, which is expensive.  I wish they had the mito from the get go cause its affordable.