• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,342 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:17

SNAG-0008.png

As you can see we have a few "Reasons" we can add and the points vary from one to two points per infraction.

The old system used percentages up to 100% which could result in a ban, the new system will instead use 10 points as a maximum and possible ban, suspensions and punishments remain at the discretion of the moderators and supervisors, or in other words, there are no default punishments for reaching a certain amount of points.

Also new is that you will have to acknowledge any warnings before you can post again. This ensures that the member is aware of a warning immediately, rather than seeing a new PM.

And finally, we used to reduce warnings every six months, now the warning is reduced after 90 days. This gives you a chance to get your warning level down quicker, and hopefully encourages better behavior due to the fast tracking of reductions.

The reasons are covered by our community rules, and as I pointed out moderators will still be required to give the member a custom message relating to the warning. There are no templates for this, so your communication with the moderator will always remain custom to the infraction.

Thanks to Haggis who helped me test the warning system earlier (Y)

#2 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,393 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:28

It's a shame some mods like to give warnings for ridiculous circumstances, but oh well - you'll always get the one or two who do it.

Thanks Haggis :pirate:

#3 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,386 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:32

ok guys this is what you will see if you get a warning

at the bottom where the quick reply box usually is

warn1.JPG

and then when you click View Warning you will see this screen

warn2.JPG

When you click I Acknowledge this warning it then takes you back to the normal screen :)

If you click into your profile you will be able to see how many warning points you have

warn3.JPG

and if you click on that link it will give you a list of the warnings you have at the current time

warn4.JPG

#4 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 7,871 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:34

It's a shame some mods like to give warnings for ridiculous circumstances, but oh well - you'll always get the one or two who do it.

Thanks Haggis :pirate:

Couldn't agree with that one anymore than I currently am!! ;)

6 months was about a stupid and ridiculous amount of time.

Cripe,

Rapists don't do that much time!!

#5 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,342 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:36

Cripe,

Rapists don't do that much time!!

It was determined over ten years ago ;)

#6 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,604 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:25

I already have 2 points... eh, punishment fits the crime -- I would'a gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling mods.

#7 Gary2MBz

Gary2MBz

Sneakier than your worst nightmare.

• 1,599 posts
  • Phone: AT&T iPhone 5 32GB - White & Silver

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:32

I already have 2 points... eh, punishment fits the crime -- I would'a gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling mods.

You funny sir  :rofl:

#8 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,777 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:37

so what exactly defined in 'Miscellaneous' point(s) ?

#9 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:38

I think Spamming should result in a immediate ban for obvious reasons. I have seen some spammers get onto Neowin and post total nonsense in the threads.

#10 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,604 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:14

so what exactly defined in 'Miscellaneous' point(s) ?

Questioning their ability to randomly distribute points is probably under this banner, lol.  :rofl:

It's likely just a, 'we never thought about this, but we don't like this, here is a warning!' type thing. I doubt it's going to be just '1' point in every situation as well.

#11 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,414 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:21

Trolling is a bit of a 'grey area' imo, because a good troll can make people laugh, cause no more annoyance than an 'oh, it's him again' and generally, stay withing the rules

that being said, abusive and aggressive trolls and such, yes I can understand the need to have some sort of flagging system in place.

#12 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,604 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:24

Trolling is a bit of a 'grey area' imo, because a good troll can make people laugh, cause no more annoyance than an 'oh, it's him again' and generally, stay withing the rules

that being said, abusive and aggressive trolls and such, yes I can understand the need to have some sort of flagging system in place.

There are also legitimate cases where someone can be construed as a troll simply because he believes something no one else does. Trolling is certainly a grey area but it's not like it wasn't already a part of the warning system; I think Neowin is pretty relaxed on 'trolling' and I only really ever see issues in severe cases and even then I doubt a mod just all willy nilly shoots out warnings.

#13 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,414 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:26

There are also legitimate cases where someone can be construed as a troll simply because he believes something no one else does. Trolling is certainly a grey area but it's not like it wasn't already a part of the warning system; I think Neowin is pretty relaxed on 'trolling' and I only really ever see issues in severe cases and even then I doubt a mod just all willy nilly shoots out warnings.

:)

(Off topic, post)

Thank you by the way, I was wondering what the new notification system looked like, (instead of just 'lighting up' it now shows how many notifications etc...)

#14 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:39

I've racked up 4 points because I committed some "fowl" behavior in the past. I've without a doubt learned from this, because I did not like having my posting abilities restricted. As long as you follow the rules and stay calm in heated discussions you'll be ok. Also, another thing is to not create feather ruffling threads that will inflame others (which can cause warnings)!

#15 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,795 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:42

I still think an offender should be made to rewrite the offending post such that it constructively contributes to the community, before the posting ban is lifted. Some people could use the practice.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!