Photo

Destiny

official destiny bungie activision martin odonnell umbra 3 ps3 ps4 xbox 360 xbox one

370 replies to this topic

#361 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,349 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:57

I doubt we'll see that, they've designed it like that on purpose (They want you to design a team to tackle it, not just have random people added to the group)

They could always add it, but it would conflict with the way the raids are designed.

#362 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

• 484 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:00

I doubt we'll see that, they've designed it like that on purpose (They want you to design a team to tackle it, not just have random people added to the group)

They could always add it, but it would conflict with the way the raids are designed.

I'm not going to have a problem finding friends to play this with, but for people whom don't have that luxury it is a bit of a downer. I guess the raids could work like public events and chuck other fire teams into the fray also?

#363 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,511 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:33

They kind of, sort of said their reasoning was that raids need a dedicated team and communication to finish them. That is easily fixed if Bungie would just allow voice chat with randoms and add some type of queue penalty for rage quitters. You give players the tools they need to communicate and you give an incentive to not bail on a team that failed a few times. Also strikes already have matchmaking fill in open slots if someone leaves part-way through. So why can't that happen for raids too?

People have countered this argument with "if pugs keep failing they'll just complain that the raid is too hard and cry for nerfs; ruining the whole mode for clans." Well again, that's easily solved. Every "activity" in Destiny has an info card that pops up when you hover over their node in the map. Just put a disclaimer on the raids that says it's extremely difficult. In addition, Strikes and Story missions have multiple difficulties, so why not raids? Have a normal difficulty that pugs can probably finish if they're persistent, and have a hard mode that truly can't be done without extreme coordination and communication. Pugs MIGHT be able to do hard mode, but it would be extremely difficult.

It really boils down to this: I'd rather get the chance to see some of the content and continually fail at it in a pug, than never have the chance at all.

All of the solutions I mentioned are either already in the game for other modes or are easy fixes. This decision by Bungie is beyond stupid.

#364 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,432 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:28

I'm not going to have a problem finding friends to play this with, but for people whom don't have that luxury it is a bit of a downer. I guess the raids could work like public events and chuck other fire teams into the fray also?

For those on neowin who need friends to play with, for the reason stated here, add me. I've got probably about 5 ppl ill be playing with on/off.

#365 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 July 2014 - 23:43

I know it's not what you meant but this reminded me of a slight disappointment I had. Nothing major but I was disappointed that they didn't do jack with the special capabilities of the PS4 controller. They treat the touch pad just as some giant button which stinks and they didn't bother to use the speaker at all. I think it would be cool to be able to scroll with the touch pad (like on maps or on your gear screen for example) and to have the option to have your ghost speak to you through the controller speaker. I know everyone wouldn't want that so it should definitely be an option and it's not a big enough deal to push my buy decision one way or the other but it would have been nice.

the touch pad is just awkwardly placed to be used. and why would the ghost voice come from your hands as opposed  from where he actually is on your surround system...

#366 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,941 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:23

why would the ghost voice come from your hands as opposed  from where he actually is on your surround system...

If you have a surround system. IIRC you could choose between speakers, headphones or both for the ghost's voice, so it'd be a matter of adding another option for the controller's speaker.

They used it for the audio records in Watchdogs and it worked fine, IMO. It helps to set the specific audio apart from all the other enviromental sound.

#367 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,511 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:20

Controller speaker support would be a neat feature, but more than that I really hope they separate the audio volumes in music/effects/voice like most other games do. I prefer to have the voice way higher than everything else the first few times through, so that I don't miss any of the conversations.

#368 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,941 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 13:09

Controller speaker support would be a neat feature, but more than that I really hope they separate the audio volumes in music/effects/voice like most other games do. I prefer to have the voice way higher than everything else the first few times through, so that I don't miss any of the conversations.

I enabled the subtitles in the beta for that reason, but they look like crap  :/

#369 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,511 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 14:48

I enabled the subtitles in the beta for that reason, but they look like crap  :/

Yeah, Yellow text doesn't show up very well on a lot of different background colors. White text with a either a black stroke or a darkened bar background would have been better.

#370 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• 1,003 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 01 August 2014 - 18:39

the touch pad is just awkwardly placed to be used. and why would the ghost voice come from your hands as opposed  from where he actually is on your surround system...

I don't have any problem using the touch pad.  Granted it's not something you'd want to use in the heat of battle but like I said when you're on a full screen map (selecting which mission to run, etc.) or playing around with your gear (outside of combat) it would be a nice option to have.

As for where the ghost voice comes from "where he actually is" is not clear to me.  Your ghost seems to fly into you when not in use.  I don't see the little ghosts flying around other players in the multiplayer areas.  Except for when you "take him out" by pushing the touch pad on the PS4 or during a cut scene where he flies out or says something I'm not really sure where he is supposed to be.  When he's just a voice in year ear and not flying around it would be pretty cool to have the sound come from the controller.  I thought the speaker in the controller thing was pretty silly until I played Infamous: Second Son and I really liked how it worked.  I think it could be equally cool in Destiny.  Sure during cut scenes when hes flying around the room or whatever it should come from your surround sound but when he's "docked" or wherever he goes when not "out" but is talking to you then I just think it would be cool for that part to use the controller speaker.  Like I said though it's not a big thing either way and of course you are free to disagree.

#371 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,511 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 13:20

Someone posted a custom trailer that's Destiny gameplay with a voice-over from Interstellar's trailer. It's really, really well done.