Photo

Destiny

official destiny bungie activision martin odonnell umbra 3 ps3 ps4 xbox 360 xbox one

579 replies to this topic

#571 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:12

That's ridiculous. lol.

Agreed. Not really something I desire to play.

#572 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,672 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted Yesterday, 10:25

That's ridiculous. lol. 

Well the problem is that Bungie things that the way to add difficulty in "dungeons" and "raids" is to add more health and immunity. It's like they've learned nothing in the decade of other companies doing this, and any end game content being that simple and unintelligent gets bashed by the entire gamer fanbase. 

#573 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• 5,883 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted Yesterday, 11:19

Just over 11 hours after it was first made available to play Destiny’s first Raid has been beaten by a team called PrimeGuard. The six man fire team consisted of players FraserBaws, KingSmaals, McTwidget, nanowatts, psx-Yoshi, and Des_Waffles. Bungie confirmed that they were the first to complete the Raid via this Tweet.

Bxrj7Q1CAAE_UJC.jpg

https://twitter.com/...972115776425984

Doing some quick math from the post-game report the team killed 5733 enemies, and died 1325 times. The team consisted of two Hunters, three Titans, and one Warlock all at or above level 26. You can check out more stats from the players and their historic run at the link above.

http://attackofthefa...finally-beaten/

It basically took these guys 11 hours to beat it.

That's awesome! Bungie knocked this one out of the park, that is for sure.

#574 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:30

That's awesome! Bungie knocked this one out of the park, that is for sure.

Playing for 11 hours and dying 200 times (per person) is awesome? Whatever they got for it can't have been worth it. Just reminds me of the south park WoW episode.

#575 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,112 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:49

Playing for 11 hours and dying 200 times (per person) is awesome? Whatever they got for it can't have been worth it. Just reminds me of the south park WoW episode.

Kind of have to agree with you there. I'm all for challenging games that you die to your own mistakes like the Souls series, but this just sounds like artificially bumped imblanace.

Still not played my copy of Destiny yet :/ Noticed retailers prices dropping. Tesco are now selling a PS4 with Destiny for £329.99, used to be £349.99.

#576 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,370 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:38

Well the problem is that Bungie things that the way to add difficulty in "dungeons" and "raids" is to add more health and immunity. It's like they've learned nothing in the decade of other companies doing this, and any end game content being that simple and unintelligent gets bashed by the entire gamer fanbase. 

I get what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing with you, but Bungie didn't have to copy other games with this. They are allowed a bit of creative freedom to try and create something new. If they just copied any other game then they would have been criticized for it so it sounds like they were never going to win. Sure with hindsight they may sit back and wish they had gone with a more traditional route but it doesn't hurt to try something new.

I also personally feel that this game isn't aimed at (and is perhaps why you don't like it) your typical MMO audience that enjoy the current formula, they're trying to appeal to the CoD, Halo and Battlefield audience and people who wouldn't normally play an MMO, I certainly haven't.

#577 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,672 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted Yesterday, 12:51

YEah, but adding difficulty by increasing health and immunity isn't creative freedom, it's copying what other games did 10-15 years ago, before they got creative and figured players wanted somethign that required team work, thinking, creativity and skill. you know besides blast it until it dies. 

They they can't wish they went with the traditional route, they did, as traditional and old fashioned as it gets. well not quite, older games like Metroid before boss fights where simplified to just pump it full of led in Doom and Quake was more advanced again. 

PS, what I don't like about the game has nothing to do with MMO, i don't want it to be an MMO. it's because they're doing bad decisions on it as a shooter. And trying to be an MMO in areas and doing it really badly. Either they need to be a shooter and do that well, or they need to integrate the "MMO" elements in a proper good way. Not half assed and different just to be different, but worse. I have enough MMO's to play I don't need Destiny to be one, and it isn't.

#578 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• 5,883 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted Yesterday, 13:50

As long as they had fun (and that is what I have heard), yup it's awesome. I have been playing it and loving every second of it. Best game this year so far.

#579 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

• 969 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:44

It basically took these guys 11 hours to beat it.

That's horrible. No other words for it. That's just hours of grinding for the sake of hours of grinding.  :pinch:

#580 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,370 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:56

YEah, but adding difficulty by increasing health and immunity isn't creative freedom, it's copying what other games did 10-15 years ago, before they got creative and figured players wanted somethign that required team work, thinking, creativity and skill. you know besides blast it until it dies. 

They they can't wish they went with the traditional route, they did, as traditional and old fashioned as it gets. well not quite, older games like Metroid before boss fights where simplified to just pump it full of led in Doom and Quake was more advanced again. 

PS, what I don't like about the game has nothing to do with MMO, i don't want it to be an MMO. it's because they're doing bad decisions on it as a shooter. And trying to be an MMO in areas and doing it really badly. Either they need to be a shooter and do that well, or they need to integrate the "MMO" elements in a proper good way. Not half assed and different just to be different, but worse. I have enough MMO's to play I don't need Destiny to be one, and it isn't.

Ah fair enough, I think I completely missed your point about the more health thing being the older way of doing it. I did read it and then wrote my reply without even considering it. I guess the only reason it doesn't bother me so much is because i haven't played a game like this for a very very long time. Borderlands is probably the closest but I only played a bit of the first one and got bored (more because I was always on my own).

That's horrible. No other words for it. That's just hours of grinding for the sake of hours of grinding.  :pinch:

I'll comment once/if I ever manage to get that far (level 12 atm) but I actually like the idea of something taking more than 20 minutes to complete. 11 Hours might be the opposite and extreme side of the scale but I would hope to get a real satisfaction after doing so.