PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

xbox_one_56766.jpg

With nearly 95% of the vote (approximately 94.7% in favor of the PS4) Amazon has decided to end the user poll between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 early. Back on June 13th the marketplace giant ran a Facebook poll to see which one consumers were more interested in between Microsoft and Sony's consoles and it appears that gamers have spoken quite loudly with their Facebook voting. 

For now, the final numbers read 38984 votes in favor of the PlayStation 4 with only 2162 votes in favor of the Xbox One. Does anyone know how many employees work at Microsoft? 

Originally, the poll was supposed to run for a week and end on June 20th, giving gamers plenty of time to cast a vote and comment in favor of the console they were most looking forward to. Unfortunately, Amazon cut the poll short after there was a massive and clearly lopsided showing of favoritism for one product over the other. This could also be an easy indicator for companies to use as a gauge for the potential purchasing habits of gamers and casual consumers alike for this fall. 

Thinking about this logically, there's no real reason as to why Amazon would have wanted to end the poll early given all the free publicity and traffic they were receiving from the unbiased and very public escapade. That is, unless things were cut short, potentially, under coercion from upper management? 

In reality, the poll was definitely generating a lot of media buzz, especially from gaming outlets who covered the lopsided-as-a-poorly-done-boob-job poll, with an obvious reporting slant given in favor of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 4. It's not unlikely that the whole event could have incurred the intervention of reputation management agents, perhaps? 

Personally, I really wanted to see what the voting habits were going to be like at the end of the official session between both consoles, but I guess we'll have to settle for what they ended up with. 

Maybe the good folks at Forbes or Polygon can ping Amazon and find out what really happened? If I were a betting man I'd say a very nonsensical and boilerplate PR response is what we'll all end up with. Such is the fate of these kind of events during the propaganda-fueled warfare of corporate giants.

We'll see where people actually put their money, but it looks quite promising for the PS4. Coupled with rumors that the Xbox One will have a limited supply at launch, and Sony is shaping up to have an excellent Holiday 2013.

"Thinking about this logically, there's no real reason as to why Amazon would have wanted to end the poll early given all the free publicity and traffic they were receiving from the unbiased and very public escapade. That is, unless things were cut short, potentially, under coercion from upper management?"

Ah yes.  Always have to jump to the "MS forced them to stop" conclusion.  :rolleyes:

With 'communities' like 4chan where their main priority is to troll the internet (as has been shown by many past polls skewed by them) I would take online poll results with a pinch of salt. It will be interesting to see actual console sale figures when the consoles are released.

perhaps because that poll, many canceling their Amazon's xbox one preorder,

"loser preorder" vibes, stuff like that.

that of course doesn't bode well with the management.

With 'communities' like 4chan where their main priority is to troll the internet (as has been shown by many past polls skewed by them) I would take online poll results with a pinch of salt. It will be interesting to see actual console sale figures when the consoles are released.

At this point, it sounds like Xbox One will be some kind of utopia... everyone will have a great, reliable internet connection and everyone will be rich and beautiful. All the people who complain will be playing their PS4. They should call it the Xbox 1%.

I do aggree, though the general voice of the internet still remains negative about MS choice!

I do aggree, though the general voice of the internet still remains negative about MS choice!

Fortunately for MS, the voice of the internet isn't a very good indicator of sales, as evidenced already by how well preorder sales are going despite poll data like this.

Fortunately for MS, the voice of the internet isn't a very good indicator of sales, as evidenced already by how well preorder sales are going despite poll data like this.

It's far easier to rally people against something than for something these days.

Look how many people hate DRM!  Nevermind whether or not they actually play games, they might buy a PS4 because they hate DRM!  (I am not generalizing here, but I have seen examples of it.)

It's far easier to rally people against something than for something these days.

Look how many people hate DRM! Nevermind whether or not they actually play games, they might buy a PS4 because they hate DRM! (I am not generalizing here, but I have seen examples of it.)

I'm not saying they're going to outsell Sony. But they're going to do just fine despite all the nonsense you're seeing on the internet.

I'm not saying they're going to outsell Sony. But they're going to do just fine despite all the nonsense you're seeing on the internet.

Can't argue with that.  Though I do believe MS is playing the long game with 'what will people want in 1-3 years' rather than 'what do they want right now' with win8 and the X1.

If they'd stuck with what works they wouldn't face the backlash but they wouldn't have a competitive edge in the future.

Whether this is legitimate results or 4chan trolling it is still heaps amusing.

I'm surprised there isn't more Xbox apologists in this thread foaming at the mouth about this.

Obama has a PR problem, Microsoft has months to turn the tides and fortunately for them consumers have all the memory of goldfish, few people will still be giving a toss about this inflated drm business come holiday launch. 

Much like when they entered the games market, microsoft takes a long term approach to things, theres clearly a lot of doubt around the xbox one and MS would be expecting short-term pain but if the xb1 turns out to be the a connected piece in your home hardware and kinect takes off, Microsoft will have essentially innovated and integrated the console experience and in the next gen sony will be playing catch up wondering why the same old model is still producing sweet FA profits compared to their other ventures.

Much like when they entered the games market, microsoft takes a long term approach to things, theres clearly a lot of doubt around the xbox one and MS would be expecting short-term pain but if the xb1 turns out to be the a connected piece in your home hardware and kinect takes off, Microsoft will have essentially innovated and integrated the console experience and in the next gen sony will be playing catch up wondering why the same old model is still producing sweet FA profits compared to their other ventures.

That's still a big IF.

Why is that nonsense actually ? Because you don't agree ?

That's still a big IF.

A really big if. Specially since Smart TVs will continue to innovate and progress. Lot of people here discard Smart TVs but it would be totally foolish to not consider them as a future obstacle to the media side of the XBox brand.

I'm not surprised that Microsoft have taken a massive hit from what they've announced. Nor am I surprised about they don't have a 'games console', they have an 'entertainment console'. They've been heading that way for a while, with the introduction of on demand services, Xbox Music, etc. However their other announcements such as DRM and always-on have seriously damaged them.

Regardless of what the poll says, people are going to buy what they are used to.  If they like the PS4, then they are going to buy it.  If they like the Xbox One, then they are going to buy it.

LOL! @ this thread, the ideas being suggested and some of the nonsense contained with in. But ofc Im not thinking "logically".

Might I suggest it being cut short simply due to the fact its a Facebook poll where biased ideas and voting run rife?

What's really funny is that you're not considering their vote when they're clearly people too; the XBone is a DRM ad box and you become upset by the unsurprising reactions by gamers

What's really funny is that you're not considering their vote when they're clearly people too; the XBone is a DRM ad box and you become upset by the unsurprising reactions by gamers

So Steam is a DRM ad service?

Yes, but in the past when 4chan have trolled online polls they don't only voted once, they create hundreds of accounts and vote hundreds of times.

Also, who's upset? I have both consoles on preorder and will be enjoying both on release while certain others will be online pointlessly arguing which is best.