PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:58

xbox_one_56766.jpg

With nearly 95% of the vote (approximately 94.7% in favor of the PS4) Amazon has decided to end the user poll between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 early. Back on June 13th the marketplace giant ran a Facebook poll to see which one consumers were more interested in between Microsoft and Sony's consoles and it appears that gamers have spoken quite loudly with their Facebook voting. 

For now, the final numbers read 38984 votes in favor of the PlayStation 4 with only 2162 votes in favor of the Xbox One. Does anyone know how many employees work at Microsoft? 

Originally, the poll was supposed to run for a week and end on June 20th, giving gamers plenty of time to cast a vote and comment in favor of the console they were most looking forward to. Unfortunately, Amazon cut the poll short after there was a massive and clearly lopsided showing of favoritism for one product over the other. This could also be an easy indicator for companies to use as a gauge for the potential purchasing habits of gamers and casual consumers alike for this fall. 

Thinking about this logically, there's no real reason as to why Amazon would have wanted to end the poll early given all the free publicity and traffic they were receiving from the unbiased and very public escapade. That is, unless things were cut short, potentially, under coercion from upper management? 

In reality, the poll was definitely generating a lot of media buzz, especially from gaming outlets who covered the lopsided-as-a-poorly-done-boob-job poll, with an obvious reporting slant given in favor of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 4. It's not unlikely that the whole event could have incurred the intervention of reputation management agents, perhaps? 

Personally, I really wanted to see what the voting habits were going to be like at the end of the official session between both consoles, but I guess we'll have to settle for what they ended up with. 

Maybe the good folks at Forbes or Polygon can ping Amazon and find out what really happened? If I were a betting man I'd say a very nonsensical and boilerplate PR response is what we'll all end up with. Such is the fate of these kind of events during the propaganda-fueled warfare of corporate giants.

#2 Elessar

Elessar

Professional Daydreamer

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:11

We'll see where people actually put their money, but it looks quite promising for the PS4. Coupled with rumors that the Xbox One will have a limited supply at launch, and Sony is shaping up to have an excellent Holiday 2013.

#3 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:26

poor MSFT, but its totaly MSFT fault for deliberately, intentionaly, making xbox one such undesireable for the masses.

#4 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:35

While in other news Microsoft wont change anything lol.

#5 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:38

"Thinking about this logically, there's no real reason as to why Amazon would have wanted to end the poll early given all the free publicity and traffic they were receiving from the unbiased and very public escapade. That is, unless things were cut short, potentially, under coercion from upper management?"

Ah yes.  Always have to jump to the "MS forced them to stop" conclusion.  :rolleyes:

#6 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:25

With 'communities' like 4chan where their main priority is to troll the internet (as has been shown by many past polls skewed by them) I would take online poll results with a pinch of salt. It will be interesting to see actual console sale figures when the consoles are released.

#7 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:26

perhaps because that poll, many canceling their Amazon's xbox one preorder,

"loser preorder" vibes, stuff like that.

that of course doesn't bode well with the management.

#8 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:37

With 'communities' like 4chan where their main priority is to troll the internet (as has been shown by many past polls skewed by them) I would take online poll results with a pinch of salt. It will be interesting to see actual console sale figures when the consoles are released.

At this point, it sounds like Xbox One will be some kind of utopia... everyone will have a great, reliable internet connection and everyone will be rich and beautiful. All the people who complain will be playing their PS4. They should call it the Xbox 1%.

#9 Sl33pyD

Sl33pyD

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:39

I do aggree, though the general voice of the internet still remains negative about MS choice!

#10 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:46

I do aggree, though the general voice of the internet still remains negative about MS choice!

Fortunately for MS, the voice of the internet isn't a very good indicator of sales, as evidenced already by how well preorder sales are going despite poll data like this.

#11 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:49

Fortunately for MS, the voice of the internet isn't a very good indicator of sales, as evidenced already by how well preorder sales are going despite poll data like this.

It's far easier to rally people against something than for something these days.

Look how many people hate DRM!  Nevermind whether or not they actually play games, they might buy a PS4 because they hate DRM!  (I am not generalizing here, but I have seen examples of it.)

#12 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:51

It's far easier to rally people against something than for something these days.

Look how many people hate DRM! Nevermind whether or not they actually play games, they might buy a PS4 because they hate DRM! (I am not generalizing here, but I have seen examples of it.)

I'm not saying they're going to outsell Sony. But they're going to do just fine despite all the nonsense you're seeing on the internet.

#13 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:00

I'm not saying they're going to outsell Sony. But they're going to do just fine despite all the nonsense you're seeing on the internet.

Can't argue with that.  Though I do believe MS is playing the long game with 'what will people want in 1-3 years' rather than 'what do they want right now' with win8 and the X1.

If they'd stuck with what works they wouldn't face the backlash but they wouldn't have a competitive edge in the future.

#14 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 17 June 2013 - 13:19

Whether this is legitimate results or 4chan trolling it is still heaps amusing.

I'm surprised there isn't more Xbox apologists in this thread foaming at the mouth about this.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2013 - 14:13

I'm sure the Xbox will sell but Microsoft definitely has a PR problem here.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!