Photo

PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 June 2013 - 20:49

I'm in the 5% I guess - much prefer Xbox titles to PS ones. I need my Halo! 

Although if Final Fantasy is only coming to the PS4 as I've heard, I'll probably end up with both. 

#122 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

Posted 23 June 2013 - 21:11

Although if Final Fantasy is only coming to the PS4 as I've heard, I'll probably end up with both. 

It's not. Neither is Kingdom Hearts.

#123 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 26 June 2013 - 16:36

My quick skim of that article reveals nothing more than the blinding obvious, i.e. you have to wait for in-progress updates to finish before engaging offline mode. As I said, if you disable auto-updating that should be a non-issue.

They were very much pointless restrictions, the fact they've been nuked compounds this. Microsoft are/were fully capable of pursuing sharing features and etc on the digital side without enforcing restrictions on physical media. Really, I don't get why people have a hard time comprehending this. If you want the status quo, buy a disc - if you want next-gen, buy digitally. Everyone wins, everyone is happy.

Not only are the devices you mention portable (Stuff it in a drawer), but none of them make those components mandatory to the function of the device.

Even Steam doesn't do that. No digital service does that. If I buy a copy of Mass Effect 3, I pretty much have to register it through Origin, and when I do the disc becomes useless. Same with BF3 and a number of other games on Steam.

I cannot understand why people are so ready to dismiss Steam as a comparison just because it gives sales. They are willing to die for it as a platform just becuase it sold you games at a 75% discount. Cause that makes it ok, right? Oh, and only Steam can ever give you sales, other digital services can't (Origin with it's 50% - 75% off sales that nobody talks about).

#124 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:40

Even Steam doesn't do that. No digital service does that. If I buy a copy of Mass Effect 3, I pretty much have to register it through Origin, and when I do the disc becomes useless. Same with BF3 and a number of other games on Steam.

I cannot understand why people are so ready to dismiss Steam as a comparison just because it gives sales. They are willing to die for it as a platform just becuase it sold you games at a 75% discount. Cause that makes it ok, right? Oh, and only Steam can ever give you sales, other digital services can't (Origin with it's 50% - 75% off sales that nobody talks about).

Whatever nonsense you're rambling on about isn't relevant to the point I was making.

Microsoft are perfectly capable of continuing to pursue their sharing plans on titles acquired digitally, all that has changed is physically acquired titles will maintain the status quo.

If Microsoft are smart, they will use the advantages of digital distribution to add value to titles acquired via that method (luring in customers from the latter), and let ye olde physical media slowly sail off into retirement.

#125 +Graimer

Graimer

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:48

There's a difference between being able to do something and do something.

If MS adds the family sharing etc. for digitally bought games(which I hope), they can easily get bad PR just like they did with DRM and that's probably why they removed it.

You need to remember that PEOPLE ARE STUPID. If some rules like family sharing were available, they would certainly focus on it in their advertising. No matter how many disclaimer lines etc. you have in an advertisement, Averge Joe would not read it and MS would get complaints and bad PR because people bought a physical game and it didn't work as they'd expected.

That's what happend with the drm and family sharing etc. People got confused by all the rules, so MS removed it to keep everything simple. By adding the family sharing etc. back for digital only, things would get complicated again...

#126 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:07

There's a difference between being able to do something and do something.

If MS adds the family sharing etc. for digitally bought games(which I hope), they can easily get bad PR just like they did with DRM and that's probably why they removed it.

You need to remember that PEOPLE ARE STUPID. If some rules like family sharing were available, they would certainly focus on it in their advertising. No matter how many disclaimer lines etc. you have in an advertisement, Averge Joe would not read it and MS would get complaints and bad PR because people bought a physical game and it didn't work as they'd expected.

That's what happend with the drm and family sharing etc. People got confused by all the rules, so MS removed it to keep everything simple. By adding the family sharing etc. back for digital only, things would get complicated again...

People didn't get confused by the rules, they decided that the restrictions Microsoft wanted to push were not a fair trade and were not in the interests of the consumer.

Honestly now, you're manufacturing issues here. If advertising it is a potential problem, don't advertise it - simple.

In the long term, digital distribution doesn't need any assistance (providing it's not done badly) in replacing physical media. Offer Halo 5 for preload with a midnight unlock and bam, the exodus begins.

#127 +Graimer

Graimer

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:39

There's a BIG difference between people who comment in forums and non-techy people who doesn't comment or only read stuff on facebook etc.

Ex. my sister would probably not understand the difference, she would just hear about a great console with ex. a simple family sharing feature etc, and buy the console with some games in a retail store to keep it simple..

And if they included family sharing, which would be an exclusive feature, how could they NOT advertise about it? It would've been a big selling point.

Some people complained about DRM because they didn't think the benefits were good enough, while other non-techy people complained because all the news articles told them how bad it was (without focusing on the benefits it brought). Believe it or not, but the majority of game console users are actually those who doesn't know what DRM is, those who doesn't bother about check-ins (or don't understand it) etc.

#128 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:43

There's a BIG difference between people who comment in forums and non-techy people who doesn't comment or only read stuff on facebook etc.

Ex. my sister would probably not understand the difference, she would just hear about a great console with ex. a simple family sharing feature etc, and buy the console with some games in a retail store to keep it simple..

And if they included family sharing, which would be an exclusive feature, how could they NOT advertise about it? It would've been a big selling point.

Some people complained about DRM because they didn't think the benefits were good enough, while other non-techy people complained because all the news articles told them how bad it was (without focusing on the benefits it brought). Believe it or not, but the majority of game console users are actually those who doesn't know what DRM is, those who doesn't bother about check-ins (or don't understand it) etc.

How could they not advertise it? By not advertising it.

Let the smart people lead the change to digital, the sheep can follow on later.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!