Photo
pennsylvania charged fees not minimum wage class action suit unfair unjust enrichment direct deposit

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,959 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:38

Oh ok, sorry, must have missed it. And I also don't really know what a credit union is? If it's just another bank account the employer really needs to change their policy, it's ridiculous.

I guess you haven't also bothered to google "credit union", either.

#17 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,166 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:05

I guess you haven't also bothered to google "credit union", either.

Well sorry, I don't Google every single word I read that I don't know the exact meaning of.

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:52

Why should you have to pay a fee for your wages?

You aren't really paying a fee on your wages, but a fee for using the debit card.

#19 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,470 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:57

Well sorry, I don't Google every single word I read that I don't know the exact meaning of.

"credit union" is a 'member-owned' bank.

Easier to borrow money, lower interest rate, more friendly -- usually.

#20 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

• 3,506 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:20

Personally if the manager cannot do direct deposit with the employee then write a check.  How expensive is it to write a check?  There's gotta be some cost involved setting up these debt cards or getting some type of perks from the bank.

#21 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,210 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:27

I never got why people just cant get a darn checking account to start with.... most anymore more have a very low balance requirement... I've seen them as low as $10 minimum balance in Pennsylvania.... not saying that is the case here since she had a credit union account... but I've seen people get cards like this pay the fees and complain, just get a darn account and don't be scammed...

btw she had a choice in this case, but for some reason her choice wasn't accepted to get checks, the first story I read about this (a different site) said she choose to get checks put into her credit union account but the franchiser didn't listen and forced her to take the cards even though they gave her a choice

#22 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,079 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:34

You aren't really paying a fee on your wages, but a fee for using the debit card.

If you're forced to take your wages on a wage card, and there's a fee to take money from that wage card, it boils down to a fee on your wages.  That's fundamentally unfair.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:27

If you're forced to take your wages on a wage card, and there's a fee to take money from that wage card, it boils down to a fee on your wages.  That's fundamentally unfair.

Oh I agree but it happens a lot. My wife's employer requires direct deposit and yet our bank is now  trying to install debit card charges, so she is in essence having to do the same thing.

#24 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,079 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:41

Oh I agree but it happens a lot. My wife's employer requires direct deposit and yet our bank is now  trying to install debit card charges, so she is in essence having to do the same thing.

Vote with your feet then! Move to a bank who are less arsey.

#25 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,673 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 17:18

It's even worse in Australia.  Not only do most accounts have fees associated with them but the government charges a tax on all deposits.

#26 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,939 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 June 2013 - 17:37

Forcing people to use a fee-laden debit card to receive their pay is wrong. It really is that simple. Unfortunately the US has incredibly weak employment protection, meaning that it's rare for people to bring lawsuits like this for fear of having their employment terminated or their hours substantially dropped. More importantly, it irritates me that banks have the audacity to charge fees for accessing one's money when they have committed wide-scale fraud, received trillions from governments around the world and are posting record profits. The system is broken.

I hope she wins her lawsuit.