NY man who locked up 4 kid vandals, is charged

CLYDE, NY (AP) ? A man who says he caught four boys vandalizing his father-in-law's home has been charged with child endangerment after corralling them in a closet until police arrived.

Jesse Daniels was arraigned on four counts of endangering the welfare of a child after authorities say he interrupted the vandalism at the empty home in the Wayne County village of Clyde, midway between Rochester and Syracuse.

Daniels, 53, told WHAM-TV in Rochester that he heard pounding coming from the home next door the night of June 8. The house is empty while Daniels renovates it for his father-in-law.

Daniels said he went to investigate while his wife called 911. He said he found four boys, ages 8 and 10, inside with hammers. He took a hammer from one, then stuck the boys in a closet until officers arrived, he said.

"I was fortunate that they were in that room that had a closet, so I put them in the closet," he said. "I said, 'Listen, you guys are staying here until the police come, period.'"

Their parents said Daniels handled the boys roughly and threatened them with the hammer.

The damage to the home included holes in the walls, broken windows and graffiti derogatory to women spray-painted on walls. Daniels estimated that the damage to his father-in-law's property exceeds $40,000.

He said he believed the boys committed the vandalism in retaliation for Daniels' wife telling them earlier in the day to stay off the couple's property.

The boys have been charged with burglary and criminal mischief. Their cases are being handled in Wayne County Family Court.

Paul Bowler, the father of two of the boys, told the station that there are no excuses for his sons' actions.

"I understand they were in the wrong, but there are other ways to handle it," he said. "He (Daniels) knew who the kids were. It's not like they were strangers. And send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."

Bowler said Daniels grabbed the neck of one of his sons and left a mark. He said that his boys are traumatized and that Daniels should have faced more charges.

Daniels counters that he was just trying to protect his family.

Daniels is due back in court later this month.

Wayne County District Attorney Richard Healy told the station that the incident is still under investigation.

source

Wow! Some boys did $40,000 worth of damage to a house and the owner will likely get more jail time because he locked them away until police showed up. What a sick, stupid world we live in. 

Now this is stupid.  It is not like they were locked up for days and suffered at all.  They were locked up until the cops arrived. 

What a dumbass legal system we have where the criminals get more rights than the victims.

And the boys are traumatized?  Really?  Look dad, parent your ****ing kids correctly, teach them right from wrong, and this kind of thing wouldn't happen.  I see your kids on future episodes of Cops.  Everything else is blamed for what goes on with kids these days except for the parents.  As soon as parents take responsibility for raising their kids and they actions, then the sooner things will be better.  My brother got caught for shoplifting in JR High.  My mom had the cops take him to jail (even tho the store didnt press charges) to teach him a lesson.  But of course, these days that would be considered traumatizing the kid.  He was also not allowed to go in to any stores for months after.  He never even considered doing anything like that again.

And this is why America is going downhill.  No one wants to be responsible.  He didn't hurt the kids or "endanger" them. 

I hope he gets off scott free, cause it's a shame you can't protect your property from morons

And this is why America is going downhill.  No one wants to be responsible.  He didn't hurt the kids or "endanger" them. 

I hope he gets off scott free, cause it's a shame you can't protect your property from morons

he will never be "scott free" once you are charged with child endangerment it's on your record FOREVER!

If you are a school teacher you just ruined your career with that charge, because they flat out ask you "have you ever been charged with..." on applications... not just been convicted, but charged or arrested