• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#136 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 21 June 2013 - 19:55

Yeah, real hero.

A more condescending and arrogant man I've never seen allowed to rep. a company.

I'm surprised Don Mattrick has not been fired yet.

#137 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 21 June 2013 - 19:57

This is a pretty good read. http://devfodder.blo...-used-game.html

#138 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

Posted 21 June 2013 - 19:58

Oh you sure got me there, with all those... OLD games.

#139 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 21 June 2013 - 20:01

The fact that you could have...

1. Buy a game for $60

2. Keep it until you don't want it any more

3. Sell it back to an authorized reseller for $50/$40/$30 (whatever the buy back is)

4. Reseller can offer the game back to a consumer for $50 (or whatever the current market rate of the game is) (not a used game with a scratched disc at this point)

5. Games should eventually go down in price, since the additional funds are being made by publishers/developers.

Sounds like a win win to me.

Not really the authorized reseller will never ever give you as much as if you sell the game on eBay or Kijiji.

The few times i went to EB Games to sell a used game they did offer me between 5$ to 10$ less than what i finally sold the game for. Across an entire generation it's a lot of money.

#140 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 21 June 2013 - 21:18

Oh you sure got me there, with all those... OLD games.

you expect discount on new games? :/ would like a unicorn with them?
thank you for moving goalpost though.

#141 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 June 2013 - 21:27

No. Games will never go down in price. They make too much money as it is from games being $60, why would they screw themselves over? It's a nice pipedream sure... but feasible? no.

Let's look at game prices historically, NES and SNES games was 50-60£ back when inflation meant your money was actually worth 50% more. 

no, they sure haven't gone down huh...

#142 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

Posted 21 June 2013 - 23:18

Let's look at game prices historically, NES and SNES games was 50-60£ back when inflation meant your money was actually worth 50% more.

no, they sure haven't gone down huh...

You surely aren't playing dumb right now are you?

Cartridge based anything was always going to be more expensive.

Manufacturing costs for cartridges were much higher than what it costs to manufacture disc's. That is a simple fact.

#143 +chorpeac

chorpeac

NeoRequest Engineer

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:49

Not really the authorized reseller will never ever give you as much as if you sell the game on eBay or Kijiji.

The few times i went to EB Games to sell a used game they did offer me between 5$ to 10$ less than what i finally sold the game for. Across an entire generation it's a lot of money.

No. Games will never go down in price. They make too much money as it is from games being $60, why would they screw themselves over? It's a nice pipedream sure... but feasible? no.

See you are stuck on the current game purchasing model. Microsoft's model was supposed to bolster a new model, which is not entirely different than how Steam works. It was based on a single non-tangible license for a game, not a disc. Only thing that will cause the price drop on that license is time. Not condition or wear. When the first buyer of a disc-based pays $60 and the second or third pays considerably less, the publisher/developer had to split that $60 one time and the third party resellers made the final profits. Any future games will not be cheaper, instead they will likely be the same or more to cover their costs.

Check out this article which kind of details how it could have been...

http://www.eurogamer...of-xbox-one-drm

#144 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:54

We were all told when digital become more common/viable in the console scene we'd see cheaper digital counterparts to physical copies, yet here we are with digital still the same price as physical.

#145 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:59

Sometimes digital is more expensive in some parts of the world.

#146 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:04

You don't understand how retail works, do you? The reason you can sell a game directly off at sale price is because you are the seller online and you are competing with other sales prices. When selling to EB/Gamestop or whatever you are selling it to a retailer, not a customer. The retailer will by it under sale price so they can make profit when they themselves sell it.

For example, when I buy Magic the Gathering cards and I go online and look at their prices (say a good rare card is $25 to sell), if I go to a card shop and sell my card they'll give me around 50% of that ($12.50). This is true regardless of industry. They aren't being evil or mean to you, they do have to make money.

#147 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:17

You don't understand how retail works, do you? The reason you can sell a game directly off at sale price is because you are the seller online and you are competing with other sales prices. When selling to EB/Gamestop or whatever you are selling it to a retailer, not a customer. The retailer will by it under sale price so they can make profit when they themselves sell it.

Do you seriously think i am that stupid ?

My point was you make more money by selling the game yourself so preventing you from doing so is a loss and not a "Sounds like a win win to me" situation like chorpean said (the post i was replying to).

#148 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 24 June 2013 - 18:59

Do you seriously think i am that stupid ?

My point was you make more money by selling the game yourself so preventing you from doing so is a loss and not a "Sounds like a win win to me" situation like chorpean said (the post i was replying to).

Tbh, I don't see how that is a loss either. Especially if those resales are going through MS (iirc they were planning on allowing digital reselling). That would also kill the middle man, allowing you to sell your games retail rather than at 50% value loss.

#149 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

Posted 24 June 2013 - 20:09

Tbh, I don't see how that is a loss either. Especially if those resales are going through MS (iirc they were planning on allowing digital reselling). That would also kill the middle man, allowing you to sell your games retail rather than at 50% value loss.

You really believe you'll get full value for resale? That's laughable. They'll probably have set prices setup for when you resell online so that you're not buying a game, beat it in 2 days and then sell it for the same price you paid for it.

Let's be real here, Microsoft are not that stupid.

#150 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 24 June 2013 - 20:44

You really believe you'll get full value for resale? That's laughable. They'll probably have set prices setup for when you resell online so that you're not buying a game, beat it in 2 days and then sell it for the same price you paid for it.

Let's be real here, Microsoft are not that stupid.

Or Microsoft will let people set their own prices and people will buy what they feel comfortable paying for. Just like anything else.