8 posts in this topic

Posted

http://kotaku.com/sony-actually-has-a-very-different-future-in-mind-for-p-514144920

Sony's successful, if counter-intuitive next-gen message for the PlayStation 4 at last week's E3 is that things won't change. No disc DRM changes. No new online checks for PS4. You might think Sony doesn't want gaming to change in the PS4 era. Oh, but they do.

In fact, if you listen closely, they're veering closer to what Microsoft is envisioning for Xbox One than you may have thought, had you only been focused on the Sony and Microsoft's dueling press conferences.

The two are not the same.

Only Microsoft is planning to make your games not work if you have lost Internet for 24 hours. And, to be fair, only Microsoft is talking about a 10-member "family" game-sharing plan.

Both Microsoft and Sony, however, seem to be ready for console gamers to shift their gaming to digital, to bring console game closer to PC and phone gaming, where the default way to get a game is to download it.

In fact, it was Sony people who seemed most eager, in interviews with me, to enable a more download-heavy gaming future.

"The things we want to see change," Sony's head of worldwide studios, Shuhei Yoshida told me at E3, when I asked him about Sony's hopes for changes in the next gen, "[is to have] more people embrace the digital side and have more people connect." He wants more people to download Sony's ever-growing line-up of interesting and often independently-made downloadable games. Frankly, the PlayStation store is where Sony is presenting some of the system's more innovative stuff.

Yoshida: "The things we want to see change [is to have] more people embrace the digital side and have more people connect."

It's not just the artsy games

Posted

Continue to make improvements to PSN and the PS Store, stay up to date with digital services (streaming/multimedia), show the Gaikai purchase to be worthwhile, give indies a place to love AND do all this without stupid DRM, then the future looks good.

What some of the MS fans seem to think is you cannot offer digital unless you abandon a physical model, that's the stupidest thing you could ever think in this digitally progressing world. Both can coincide, have done already this generation, and will do next gen at least on the PS4 and Wii U. You don't have to remove something (discs) in order to improve something else (digital). Look at any industry that offers digital and physical options.... I can stream 20 millions songs to my Nexus, but I can also go buy my parents audio CDs for their Christmas... What would be the point in removing that option? How would that be good for the music realm?

Posted

Continue to make improvements to PSN and the PS Store, stay up to date with digital services (streaming/multimedia), show the Gaikai purchase to be worthwhile, give indies a place to love AND do all this without stupid DRM, then the future looks good.

What some of the MS fans seem to think is you cannot offer digital unless you abandon a physical model, that's the stupidest thing you could ever think in this digitally progressing world. Both can coincide, have done already this generation, and will do next gen at least on the PS4 and Wii U. You don't have to remove something (discs) in order to improve something else (digital). Look at any industry that offers digital and physical options.... I can stream 20 millions songs to my Nexus, but I can also go buy my parents audio CDs for their Christmas... What would be the point in removing that option? How would that be good for the music realm?

Last time I checked Xbox One games will still be available on bluray.

1 person likes this

Posted

Last time I checked Xbox One games will still be available on bluray.

True, but they do not function like 99% of gamers would expect from previous generations and how other industries of entertainment do (DVD/Blu Ray Movies/Music CDs). Try to tell a bunch of kids or parents why they can't just use a gaming disc how they have the past 10 years (Playing/Buying/Selling/Trading/Taking to a friends/Using offline).

When you buy something on PSN/XBL digitally you know what to expect, you know it's a software license tied to your account and it's never existed as something else previously. MS are trying to change what we expect from a disc, something we've been putting in consoles since the PS1 with the same results since.

Posted

I think Microsoft's future is radical and confounding with their DRM policy's and move to a "steam" like model. The future should stay more of the same with installing game data and having to put a a disc in and with digital option. Sony is putting its loyal consumer base first by sticking with their tried and true game model that it had since the PS1.  So, with the Xbox One in order to lend a game, you need to have your friends on a list.  With the Xbox One also, you cant sell your game directly to someone, which is absurd. Sony is still moving forward with the PS4, but is slowly and cautiously doing it (keeping restrictionless games and no mandatory internet).

Posted

True, but they do not function like 99% of gamers would expect from previous generations and how other industries of entertainment do (DVD/Blu Ray Movies/Music CDs). Try to tell a bunch of kids or parents why they can't just use a gaming disc how they have the past 10 years (Playing/Buying/Selling/Trading/Taking to a friends/Using offline).

When you buy something on PSN/XBL digitally you know what to expect, you know it's a software license tied to your account and it's never existed as something else previously. MS are trying to change what we expect from a disc, something we've been putting in consoles since the PS1 with the same results since.

There are only two things different in MS' model

1. You can't do private sales

2. You can't loan games to friends

I hope Microsoft did enough research to alienate these two scenarios this drastically. You will sing praise of Sony no matter so it's pointless arguing with you on this but there might be legitimate+viable business plan in all the XB1 plans.

Posted

People are aware that trying to make Sony look bad doesn't automatically make Microsoft look good, right?

To say Sony is interested in developing the digital space isn't proof of duplicity on their part, of course they want to take advantage of digital retail they're a business which wants to sell products, duh.

Posted

Sony's not talking about digital DRM right now.