28 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,266 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:33

Steam Might Soon Let You Share Your Games With Your Friends

You can lend your friends a console disc. You can not lend them a game you buy on Steam. Or at least, you haven't been able to previously. That might soon be about to change.

Some code buried in the latest Steam client beta (pictured above), first spotted by NeoGAF poster Grief.exe but which I can also see in my directory, has revealed the presence of something called a "shared game library". Here are the relevant parts:
  • "SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
  • "SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
  • "SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."
For three lines of code, that seems to present a pretty clear plan: you can let other Steam users "borrow" your games, then take them back whenever it suits.

As it stands, right now once you buy a Steam game that's it. It's yours, tied to your account, and you can't trade it in, sell it or lend it like you could a physical console game.

Letting PC gamers share their games, then, would be amazing, though how Valve is selling this to publishers I have no idea. Maybe every single full game can now be its own demo as well? Maybe Microsoft's ten-person "family sharing" plan for the Xbox One, which sounds a lot like this, is helping soften the blow for this kind of stuff?

Or maybe it'll just be an option for publishers that almost nobody chooses to make use of. Or something the company is looking at/thinking about, but may never actually implement. Sorry to end this on a downer, but hey, that's business for you.

We've contacted Valve for comment, and will update if we hear back.

Source: Kotaku

#2 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,625 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:39

I doubt it.  They'd have to renegotiate with a lot of publishers.

Not that it can't or won't be done eventually, but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

#3 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,717 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:47

Gabe can do no wrong. This reminds me of the time they updated their tos to copy origin's policy of not stealing games from banned users.

#4 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,369 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:48

So, just like Xbox One!  But this will be innovative and the savior of the gaming industry. 

#5 Zidane

Zidane

Spoutcraft Lead

• 218 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:55

So, just like Xbox One!  But this will be innovative and the savior of the gaming industry. 

Yep! Wait....ah yes I can go on Steam and typically get games at far lower prices.

Learn to troll better next time :).

#6 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,374 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:57

This is exactly like the Xbone, in that nobody knows how it will work.

#7 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:00

This would be amazing.   I'd like to be able to give the games I no longer want to people, that would be an awesome feature :) as I don't play every game in my Steam Library.   It'll be like Xbox one but at the same time without the intrusive and appauling DRM policies.

#8 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:11

Ja... this seems like a reaction to Xbox One and its DRM, it's almost like Valve saying "yeah... you want to disguise yourself as steam, we will simply then improve it to show you how to online games"

#9 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

• 955 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:12

Yeah, Microsoft copied Steam, but at least you don't have to be online every 24h on Steam to play games off-line. Microsoft could have got a lot less flak if they hadn't added that "feature".

#10 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,369 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:44

NinjaZidane, on 19 Jun 2013 - 08:55, said:

Yep! Wait....ah yes I can go on Steam and typically get games at far lower prices.

Learn to troll better next time :).

You understand that this DRM has been implemented so the cost of console games can go down, right? But keep resorting to ad hominems, it makes your argument seem stronger :)  

Yeah, Microsoft copied Steam, but at least you don't have to be online every 24h on Steam to play games off-line. Microsoft could have got a lot less flak if they hadn't added that "feature".

We don't know how Steam is going to do this yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar "feature" when the lending library is enabled. 

#11 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,109 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:11

Eh... All I really want to be able to do with Steam is transfer some of the games on my account over to my kids account, because I don't want them logging in to my account just to play them, and I don't play them myself.  That'd keep me plenty happy.

#12 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,755 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:18

except that you probably don't have to give them your username and password to play it (which may stop you from playing other games on your own console. Also you don't have to go to your friend's house to physically give them the game. So not like steam at all then really.

#13 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:18

Oh nice, now hopefully this happens, so that my fiance and I can share games with each other without having to buy two copies.. like we did with Modern Warfare 3, and Saints Row 3.. sheesh, that gets expensive. :/

#14 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,625 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:29

except that you probably don't have to give them your username and password to play it (which may stop you from playing other games on your own console. Also you don't have to go to your friend's house to physically give them the game. So not like steam at all then really.

What?  You don't have to give anyone your password or physically give them the game to share with Xbox One.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:37

I ain't holding my breath.