#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 19 June 2013 - 19:14

http://www.engadget....what-to-expect/

Huge article, read at source

What's in a name? A whole lot, if you're asking yours truly. "All Your Entertainment. Input One." Such intriguing statements were declared in a document that leaked from Redmond last summer. The slogan "All in one, input one" was on the Microsoft banners decorating the LA Convention Center for E3 this year. But this probably left many wondering: what is "input one," exactly? It didn't go unnoticed by those who follow the TV industry. Input one is commonly used in the biz to refer to the TV input most Americans use to access the majority of their content. This is the input that's displayed when the TV is turned on, and it's the input that most connect their set-top box from their cable or satellite provider to. Naturally, it's a highly coveted position in the content industry and one that is well fortified by the incumbents.

Microsoft has had its sights on input one for a long time, and this particular go-round isn't all that unfamiliar. The Xbox One intends to share input one in what I'd call a man-in-the-middle attack. How well it works won't be revealed until later this year, but clicking through will reveal how I think it'll play out, why this attempt is a direct result of industry constraints and finally, how it matches up with the competition.

#2 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 21:24

I'm really excited for this feature.

#3 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:55

So, MS are going to have available every TV code and every set top box code there is, for the XBox One to send?  What about the many people who get digital TV over the air, such as the majority of homes in the UK? In many cases, there IS no set top box, and almost none of those TV's have a HDMI out, either.

The TV features are nice, but I just don't see how they're going to work for many countries outside of the US.   For you guys, cable TV might be the norm, but outside the US it's a whole other story.  Even IN the US, I doubt it'll cover a huge number of folks...

Would be nice if MS actually ponied up some REAL information about how this is going to work...

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 21 June 2013 - 13:26

The key here is that MS will probably try and make deals with the big cable providers to make the Xbox One either the primary set-top box option or as a secondary one for a reduced price, think $299 + whatever you're paying to your cable provider.   The only thing they'd have to do is install a smaller box that takes the actual cable wire in, does it's decoding and so on, and then passes the signal out via hdmi to the Xbox One.   Better option than having two set-top boxes under the TV when you get it as a deal from the provider themselves.  

If something like this comes to pass and MS announces deals with Comcast and other big providers then the Xbox One sales have the possibility of skyrocketing.   People who would normally never get a Xbox because they're not hardcore gamers would possibly buy one as a bonus/more advanced all around set-top box option for their cable though.    It does open it up to a whole different group than before.

#5 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 21 June 2013 - 13:40

So the entire article (apart from the many paragraphs not related to the Xbone) is basically conjecture about how it might work?

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 21 June 2013 - 13:43

It works via HDMI-CEC which is pass-through, go research the HDMI-CEC spec

#7 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:00

The TV features are nice, but I just don't see how they're going to work for many countries outside of the US.   For you guys, cable TV might be the norm, but outside the US it's a whole other story.  Even IN the US, I doubt it'll cover a huge number of folks...

Would be nice if MS actually ponied up some REAL information about how this is going to work...

Indeed, we have heard all this talk about how great it is yet i don't really see this working in the UK. Maybe we will see a USB DVB-T2 tuner or something? I believe the PS3 has an actual TV tuner add-on for the UK so its not impossible.

#8 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:02

So, of course, I'm not surprised that Microsoft is looking forward and turning the corner on the DVR. What I mean is that the Xbox One is not a DVR, and I don't expect it to integrate tightly with third-party DVRs. Sure, it'll control any provider's set-top box, but this is about live TV.

This might sound ill advised, but according to Nielsen, the lion's share of TV is still viewed live, with DVR usage paling in comparison. So the idea isn't to replace your provider's DVR or even to do much more than to use it as a source for live TV. There has been no indication from Microsoft that the Xbox One will be able tosearch the recordings on your DVR or even schedule them. You'll still be able to use the DVR features, but my bet is that you'll have to resort to using its remote to watch recordings, rather than using the Xbox One to control it.

Very disappointing, if true. I wasn't going to be a launch buyer of the Xbox One, but if the right games turned up I would have been interested for the games and a more unified TV experience. Lack of DVR support would make that entirely useless to me as I watch nearly everything via the DVR. Also makes a mockery of the "all-in-one" idea. Really hope it isn't true.

#9 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:17

So, MS are going to have available every TV code and every set top box code there is, for the XBox One to send?  What about the many people who get digital TV over the air, such as the majority of homes in the UK? In many cases, there IS no set top box, and almost none of those TV's have a HDMI out, either.

I'm not sure where you're going with this about how it's going to work for those people who doesn't have HDMI out/cable box. those people will just be stuck with using the console the traditional way (just like they would any other console). are far as it seems and I've read TV is not the only thing that the xbox one can take through the hdmi in, it can take xbox 360, PC or hdmi output from other devices.

anyways, there are many DTV tuners with HDMI output so to me you're just trying to find a problem where there really isn't one.

also it's not Microsoft's fault those people don't have cable/satellite box, but other people shouldn't suffer because some people can't use a certain feature. but to me its better that the feature be there until those people can use it rather than not have the feature at all.

or is it that you wanted Microsoft to have also included a DTV tuner inside the xbox one????

#10 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:22

The key here is that MS will probably try and make deals with the big cable providers to make the Xbox One either the primary set-top box option or as a secondary one for a reduced price, think $299 + whatever you're paying to your cable provider.   The only thing they'd have to do is install a smaller box that takes the actual cable wire in, does it's decoding and so on, and then passes the signal out via hdmi to the Xbox One.   Better option than having two set-top boxes under the TV when you get it as a deal from the provider themselves.  

If something like this comes to pass and MS announces deals with Comcast and other big providers then the Xbox One sales have the possibility of skyrocketing.   People who would normally never get a Xbox because they're not hardcore gamers would possibly buy one as a bonus/more advanced all around set-top box option for their cable though.    It does open it up to a whole different group than before.

It's not possible to do this world wide.

There's too much things to support.

Here there's absolutely no way Vidéotron would agree to this cause they have their own pay per view channel (called canal Indigo) and you need their set top box to order movies and events. Microsoft would need to support that to replace Vidéotron set top box completely. And even then Vidéotron would not want that. This is a big company and they want to control everything. They have absolutely nothing to gain by replacing their own set top box with the XBox One. And they have right now more important things to care about they just launched a sports channel and are trying to buy an NHL team to market it.

#11 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:24

I'm not sure where you're going with this about how it's going to work for those people who doesn't have HDMI out/cable box. those people will just be stuck with using the console the traditional way (just like they would any other console). are far as it seems and I've read TV is not the only thing that the xbox one can take through the hdmi in, it can take xbox 360, PC or hdmi output from other devices.

anyways, there are many DTV tuners with HDMI output so to me you're just trying to find a problem where there really isn't one.

also it's not Microsoft's fault those people don't have cable/satellite box, but other people shouldn't suffer because some people can't use a certain feature. but to me its better that the feature be there until those people can use it rather than not have the feature at all.

or is it that you wanted Microsoft to have also included a DTV tuner inside the xbox one????

So it's NOT a problem, in your opinion, that people outside of the US would most likely have to buy tuner just so they can use all of the Xbone's features? Are you serious?

Also, didn't Microsoft market and name it after the fact that the Xbox One as an all-in-one entertainment box? Shouldn't that mean it should come with a tuner? To me, that's equivalent to selling someone an "HTPC" computer without a tuner.

#12 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:28

Indeed, we have heard all this talk about how great it is yet i don't really see this working in the UK. Maybe we will see a USB DVB-T2 tuner or something? I believe the PS3 has an actual TV tuner add-on for the UK so its not impossible.

Yea there is/was. PlayTV. It turned the PS3 into a TV receiver and DVR, and even supported Freeview HD. I was really interested in one when I got my PS3, but then I learned that it could only record one channel. Just as well I skipped it as when they turned analog TV off for our transmitter they managed to ruin our digital signal somehow. :blink:

#13 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:29

Reading the comments on engadget i totally agree with this one.

One thing to keep in mind is that interfaces of directv boxes and Comcast boxes are getting nicer and nicer as time goes on. by the time the XBO is 2 years into it's life, you'll have the same experience from your native cable/dish receiver. i think they are spending way too much time developing something that's not really going to be used much (not to mention dedicating a ton of system resources to it). i would rather just have my receiver manage all my inputs into one output to my TV. it's not that big of a deal to pick up the remote and change inputs.

another thing to think about is if you run surround sound-- you'll have to connect your cable box to your XBO and then connect your XBO to a receiver and then connect your receiver to your TV. i'm sorry, but i don't want my Xbox powered on when all i want to do is watch TV, unless they have some sort of hardware pass-through that does not require the XBO to be powered on

#14 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:35

Uh huh. "Hey guys, pass everything you watch through our box. We're not using it for advertising purposes at all, seriously, it's for your entertainment!"

Not that cable boxes are any better, per se, but this has always seemed like a data-grab by MS to me.

#15 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:35

So they shouldn't do it because it wouldn't work in the UK? This is like they shouldn't offer downloadable games because someone with poor internet connection might not be able to download them.