xbox one xbox

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:50

^ Yes, a product must be fit for purpose.  If it's sold in the UK as having all these TV features, then it must work.  If it needs anything extra to work, that must be stated clearly on the packaging.  However, if it doesn't, you can't really sue MS over it, just get a refund.

#32 sharpy2k4

sharpy2k4

Liverpool Fc 5 Time Champions YNWA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:35

^ Yes, a product must be fit for purpose.  If it's sold in the UK as having all these TV features, then it must work.  If it needs anything extra to work, that must be stated clearly on the packaging.  However, if it doesn't, you can't really sue MS over it, just get a refund.

Yeah I wasn't looking at the sue microsoft route, just that they would need to specify prior to sale. Otherwise they could face customers buying it for this feature, (mostly adults whos kids want either console, and this feature sways it in their favour as they can tie it in with Sky/Virgin) and then having to return it due to it not working

#33 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:52

A few entitlement issues going on here.

If you don't have the proper equipment to make use of all the features in the XB1 then i fail to see how that's MS's fault.

I receive my television over the air via the built in DVB tuner, my TV is relatively cheap and it still has an HDMI out so chances are i'll be ok with it. A hell of a lot of houses use Sky/Virgin both have an HDMI out.

So basically i don't see the issue with the majority of  UK households. And if you really want to make use of this and you currently can't then you'll have to upgrade some of your other equipment.

Regarding marketing, there's no way MS would be allowed to sell it without putting a disclaimer on the box along the lines of "Compatible hardware required".

#34 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:26

If you don't have the proper equipment to make use of all the features in the XB1 then i fail to see how that's MS's fault.

I don't think it is entitlement, but people questioning and discussing how Microsoft are going to make it work with the many different and varied TV markets outside of the US. If Microsoft were a bit more forthcoming with information then people wouldn't need to be guessing.

Whichever way you look at it, expecting people to buy additional equipment (beyond the usual cables and bits) for a very common use-case would be a pretty poor show. Is it their responsibility? Certainly not, but I don't think saying "you need extra equipment for something already built-in to your TV" would exactly go down well with the non-tech consumer. Their best strategy would be to bundle or sell a USB tuner like the PS3's PlayTV in the territories where it'll work (most of Europe and Australia afaik).

Well no, actually their best strategy would be to properly communicate with their potential customers, both in the US and outside of it.

#35 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:35

Entitlement issue? Not even close. Just one massive reading comprehension issue.

#36 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 22 June 2013 - 13:35

Entitlement issue? Not even close. Just one massive reading comprehension issue.

I'm sorry but people complaining it ay not work for them and it should, is an entitlement issue.

#37 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 22 June 2013 - 16:04

I'm sorry but people complaining it ay not work for them and it should, is an entitlement issue.

Again, you have a reading comprehension failure.  I'm not complaining that it won't work for me.  I'm asking how MS are going to make it work for all the different ways of receiving TV.

#38 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 16:53

Again, you have a reading comprehension failure.  I'm not complaining that it won't work for me.  I'm asking how MS are going to make it work for all the different ways of receiving TV.

This is an interesting comment/question because with that you opened a whole can of worms that really goes against your point while backing up other people's point of "entitlement". I'll explain.

Your premise that Microsoft should provide the means for everyone to watch tv on the Xbox one without the need to buy additional equipment regardless of provider or said provider technologies IS in and of itself a entitlement or at least carries a sense of it (entitlement).
Because then what about the people who doesn't have an hdmi equipped TV? Should Microsoft also provide RCA and RCA-HD cables in the box along with hdmi cables in the box?
What about those who's soround sound system doesn't use digital input? Should Microsoft also provide an digital to analog converter in the box?
I'm wondering if by now you see where your argument falls apart.

#39 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 22 June 2013 - 17:13

I don't see that it does.  MS are touting this device as being the ultimate TV experience.  That indicates they intend for it to be so in all markets where it's released, so it's going to have to work with all the different ways that TV makes its way into people's TV or it will fail at its purpose.  If people need additional equipment to be able to use those features, I can't see that they'd actually bother to buy it in the first place, especially given its rather high price.

#40 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2013 - 17:53

I don't see that it does.  MS are touting this device as being the ultimate TV experience.  That indicates they intend for it to be so in all markets where it's released, so it's going to have to work with all the different ways that TV makes its way into people's TV or it will fail at its purpose.  If people need additional equipment to be able to use those features, I can't see that they'd actually bother to buy it in the first place, especially given its rather high price.

They're only touting it as the ultimate TV experience if you have the necessary equipment for it.  They're still billing it first and foremost as a gaming machine.  The TV and other stuff is icing on the cake if you're able to take advantage of it.  Just because they say a gaming console can do something beyond gaming doesn't mean they have to provide the means for it to do so - it's still a gaming machine at heart and can be a gaming machine for anyone.

#41 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 17:55

Sony only ships hdmi cables in their boxes, so what about the people who's TVs doesn't have an hdmi port? won't they have to go out and BUY an hdmi-to-RCA adapter or other equipment to be able to play the ps3 or ps4 on their TV??

Microsoft is marketing their device as an all in one entertainment device that provides for great TV, games and apps experiences.

#42 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 18:13

To stat the obvious.. I'll buy my Ceton Six Tuner (usb + network capabilities), and use a cable card in a HTPC.  I won't need to subscribe to Xbox Live to use any features I'm already paying for (hulu, netflix, etc).  I won't need another settop box on my entertainment center.  I'll have full DVR capabilities for up to 6 channels at one time recording.  I will not be limited by anything other than upgradable HD space.  Windows Media Center to this day is still the best Guide.  I can share any of my 6 tuners to any other pc in my house and over the internet anywhere in the world pending provide bandwidth host and client side.

Nothing to this date beats that.

My HTPC is my;

Gaming Machine

TV Tuner

Blu-Ray Player

Web Browser

One Input to rule them all.  And it all runs thought my HT Equipment.

#43 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 20:12

To stat the obvious.. I'll buy my Ceton Six Tuner (usb + network capabilities), and use a cable card in a HTPC. I won't need to subscribe to Xbox Live to use any features I'm already paying for (hulu, netflix, etc). I won't need another settop box on my entertainment center. I'll have full DVR capabilities for up to 6 channels at one time recording. I will not be limited by anything other than upgradable HD space. Windows Media Center to this day is still the best Guide. I can share any of my 6 tuners to any other pc in my house and over the internet anywhere in the world pending provide bandwidth host and client side.

Nothing to this date beats that.

My HTPC is my;
Gaming Machine
TV Tuner
Blu-Ray Player
Web Browser

One Input to rule them all. And it all runs thought my HT Equipment.

Lol nice setup.....but sounds like a whole lot a power draw to me. I'd never leave my computer running constantly.
Plus that ceton is like $300! + your power bill. You know what, it's your money, use it how you will.

#44 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:31

Apple launched iPhone as the ultimate 3-in-1 device but it assumed that you had a mobile connection with data. They didn't need to make it work with 3G. They designed and supported only 2G/2.5G.

So is that a bad design? No. Xbox One has some requirements to work with. If your TV service can't match it, it's hardly anyone's fault. Just won't work.

#45 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:53

Lol nice setup.....but sounds like a whole lot a power draw to me. I'd never leave my computer running constantly.
Plus that ceton is like $300! + your power bill. You know what, it's your money, use it how you will.

You can get the Ceton Quad (same as 6 but with 4 tuners) for 169$ most times.  CableCards can be free from your provider, and if you only have 1 device as your "one input to rule them all" power is no more than anything else.   Are we to forget the Xbone is 499$? ;)  Yeah you can say a gaming HTPC can rack up cost, but when you cut the monthly setop box cost, the blu ray player cost, extra cabling, etc.  Saves you money in the long run.  Imagine paying for 4 hd dvr boxes throughout your house.  I don't know about you but verizon charges 20$ a box, thats 100$ a month i'd be saving.  If you want tuners for rooms without the need for a PC you can get the Ceton Echo Extender.

And why would it always be on?  With operating systems such as Windows 8 or even sleep modes, PC's boot up within seconds.