xbox one xbox

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:22

So we have the government to blame for it?

Yeap, most of BT's appearance of being incapable is due to very tight legislation on BT because of them owning the phone network after they were privatized. The government do it so BT can't run a monopoly. That point is starting to become invalid simply due to the fact that most ISP's don't actually use BT equipment anymore, only the last mile, which is the worst mile. Its a ridiculous situation.

#62 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:24

I do hope that the phased international roll-out means that content deals for tv are in place for every country.

For instance, If Xbox in NZ was to become the exclusive console provider of premier league football (via these guys), perhaps in a combo deal discounted package of Xbox + EPL (+ FIFA14 maybe) then there is a great many people I know who would happily give up their existing Sky TV and leap into the world of the new Xbox. Even the rabid enthusiastic PS4 fans who think XB1 is a piece of utter cr*p (their words) would quickly abandon PS4.

The XB1 would seem like an absolute bargain to those who currently pay Sky for sports tv; they'd recoup the costs in no time at all ($~80/month *12 months = $960 vs $649 for XB1). They'd get access to all they wanted from TV (EPL), they'd get a game console, and they'd have easy access to all the features of XBL.

It's a no brainer really. MS, make it happen already!

#63 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:31

Yeap, most of BT's appearance of being incapable is due to very tight legislation on BT because of them owning the phone network after they were privatized. The government do it so BT can't run a monopoly. That point is starting to become invalid simply due to the fact that most ISP's don't actually use BT equipment anymore, only the last mile, which is the worst mile. Its a ridiculous situation.

Another thing to add to my list of reasons why "I hate our government". :p

#64 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:44

Another thing to add to my list of reasons why "I hate our government". :p

Yeap. To steer it off-topic a little, I actually installed and fitted a couple of server racks for the gov while I worked at a top ISP in 2011. The intentions of these boxes were unknown to the whole infrastructure team bar the director of engineering. There was a big difference to that equipment to the rest of it in that data center though. Even though the data center was highly secured, manned 24/7, cameras everywhere, ridiculous amount of auth/process before access gained. The boxes which were installed were behind a solid steel fence gate under lock and key (very unusual) and the server racks where the equipment was being located was 3 inch thick steel. All the cabling was actually ran through private and custom made ducts in the data center which was completely isolated to everything else, yet there was a point where the ISP network and the gov stuff met. This point where they met actually sat between the two tier 2 networks which handled the handing over of customer traffic to public peers (Google, Facebook etc). When the GCHQ stuff came out recently, It actually dawned on me what its used for.