Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

snip

lol @ this response. That guy is so out of touch with gaming I'm actually glad he left Epic now.

He'd have you believe that consumers are the reason the industry is struggling, rather than his own ex-colleagues failing to come up with better ideas than "hats/tacked on MP". If that's the best he has to offer, then he doesn't belong in gaming any more.

We're shortsighted? You'll be thanking us in 10 years time when you want to revisit one of your favourite Xbox One games & don't have to worry about the authentication servers being offline.

And again, like others have said, you haven't lost the ability to share. Xbox One's DRM would have stopped you. Now you can lend your games to as many people as you like, as often as you like.

Games will still probably be installed to the HDD, so discs will not be damaged & if people are too lazy to switch a disc then they have more pressing issues in their life quite frankly.

Once again it's not about cant get up to go change a disc in the drive. I'm sure I'm more fit than you are (anyway that's against the point). I've already explained that currently the way how we switch games is the same as how we used to switch 45 vinyl records in the 1980s, here we were moving to a new way like how we play our mp3 songs today......and the whole slew of people who couldn't see this didn't make it happen.

Getting some serious lulz out of you tonight. Your nick is spot on. Waiting for your to rage quit at any moment. :laugh:

No rage quit. I wanted to put that sig as my sig too but this blasted iPad can't drag and drop, nor can my note 2 even in multi window. My windows tablet is in for repair screen broke and not around a computer right now.

In retrospect, I think what Microsoft was trying to do was a good idea. However, people were not ready yet for the digital game model Microsoft was aiming for.  I think Xbox One was a 2020 console trying to be released in 2013!

You're kidding right?

I have a bunch of family members and friends that play xbox. You know how amazing it would be to play their games and vice versa at anytime? 

So you don't mail your games across the world today? Therefore you haven't lost anything like I said.

Hell, you know the solution? PayPal your friend/family member to go rent the damn game for a few days & the problem is solved. You get to keep your copy and they get to try out a game for free. Everyone's happy.

I don't disagree that having the sharing thing would be a bonus, but I see it as just lube, for the big DRM dick.

It was far to restrictive, and an outright assault on our consumer rights. So if losing those features is what it takes, then so be it.

But workable solutions have been presented, and my well me implemented, so all this arguing right now could be for nothing.

So you don't mail your games across the world today? Therefore you haven't lost anything like I said.

Hell, you know the solution? PayPal your friend/family member to go rent the damn game for a few days & the problem is solved. You get to keep your copy and they get to try out a game for free. Everyone's happy.

Everyone can see how amazing the feature would have been. Sharing games online with nine other people would have been awesome. 

That's a ridiculous workaround and you know it.  We had a great, industry-changing feature lined up and Microsoft took it away. That's what happened and you can't say otherwise.

Was never gonna happen, the console is region locked.

My gamertag is and will always be a UK account, I'd only buy digitally from the UK store, this was never an issue even though I lived in australia. They would have gained access to my games from the UK digital library

I am not sure the sharing features would work in the way people think they would. People in this thread are saying they would let up to 10 people share their collection across the world, with no restrictions?? How would this work?? 1 person buys a game then 10 people automatically have full access to it?? How would publishers put up with this?? they would be losing out on the other 9 sales, exactly what they are trying to get rid of.

FYI - not region locked anymore

A few people have pointed that out now. That is a bonus. Not sure how or why that changed, especially if you listen to Major Nelsons reasoning, but it's cool none the less. :)

Once again it's not about cant get up to go change a disc in the drive. I'm sure I'm more fit than you are (anyway that's against the point). I've already explained that currently the way how we switch games is the same as how we used to switch 45 vinyl records in the 1980s, here we were moving to a new way like how we play our mp3 songs today......and the whole slew of people who couldn't see this didn't make it happen.

You're right, it is against the point, so why make it? You don't know a thing about me or my physical fitness. Oh wait, an attempt to troll maybe? Try harder :rofl:

As for your analogy of MP3s vs games, the day a song last 10+ hours I'll listen to your agrument. Until then it holds no merit.

I can only laugh at DRM "backers" here acting like they know that in the next 5-7 years they won't be able to download games digitally if they want to.

There's plenty of full digital games availble right now on XBL and I'm not talking XBLA mini games.

It takes me about 7-8 minutes to dl a full XBOX360 game (had 120Mbps since forever) and I still love the choice of owning a physical copy. it's not about the bs of "being connected", it's owning something. I'll sell you a picture of a Lamborghini I got for $1000.

Everyone can see how amazing the feature would have been. Sharing games online with nine other people would have been awesome. 

Would it though? It was never properly outlined what you could/couldn't do. I think you've let your imagination run wild thinking you could have 9 friends share your games and cut your costs by 10x.

Hell, I'm not even against the idea of it. I'm excited by the rumour of Steam allowing it today. But it's not going to be the solution you are expecting & it certainly won't give you the freedom you think it will.

Just putting this in here. Seems appropriate

The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault

Microsoft just announced that its much-maligned DRM policies won't look at all like they originally had originally been described. They're going to more relaxed, sort of like the PS3's. Good news, you say? No. Bad news. The Xbox One just got worse.

But what? Isn't all DRM bad and anti-consumer? No. Often it is, sure. If applied in the ways that gaming culture has been anxious about for the past few weeks, it would be disastrous. But that's not what was really at stake.

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905

• Like 2

This seems more influenced by the Military factor in addition to what Sony are doing rather than "What the internet said"

I'm pretty sure MS has a "contract" with the military (UK RAF/MOD) especially for the UAV's which I've seen first hand controlled by 360 controllers so maybe have some influence factor there, also, many countries now have more public respect and admiration for their service personnel (not saying they didn't before this war on terror, however its more in the public domain so public support is seen more often) so why would MS want to annoy these guys by limiting the console to online only?

I'm sure that post launch, digital copies will have added features to entice people to give up physical media.

MS want to have a digital system so start off with what we have now, introduce digital downloads with more incentives and that way it won't be a massive shock.

Can you image (pre policy change) parents trying to set up the console for their kids and trying to explain why they can't play this game or that game that a friend has?

I'm hoping that its normal for launch, then moves steadily and with encouragement towards a digital environment.

My 2 pennies.

So family sharing and disc-less disc-based games dissapeared.

I'd like to officially thank all you f*ckers for ruining the best features of Xbox One for me. I'll bet 90% of the whiners already pre-ordered the PS4 and won't go back to Xbox. So congratulations, you've just ruined the Xbox for the rest of us WITH internet.

No one ruined Xbox but Microsoft. Get over yourself.

I've not preordered either console, but i'll tell you right now, i'm more inclined to buy both consoles now that MS dropped the DRM.

Just putting this in here. Seems appropriate

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905

Just countering with a more reasoned view...

Some day, far down the road, we'll be sitting with our grandchildren at our feet. As we rock in our holochairs watching the virtual sunset in our Googlezon immersi-room, we'll get all nostalgic. We'll look back on the period of May to June 2013 fondly, remembering all those memes we posted and those angry diatribes we wrote. We'll look down fondly at those tiny children, busy killing zombies in ActiBethesdaValve-Blizzard's Portal to World of Call of Fallout 6, and we'll say something like the following:

"Little Jimmy, did I ever tell you about the days when I fought and won in the great Microsoft used-game/Internet check-in battle of '13?"

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/xbox-one-eighty-microsoft-fails-to-sell-the-future-retreats-to-the-past/

You're right, it is against the point, so why make it? You don't know a thing about me or my physical fitness. Oh wait, an attempt to troll maybe? Try harder :rofl:

As for your analogy of MP3s vs games, the day a song last 10+ hours I'll listen to your agrument. Until then it holds no merit.

I don't need to know anything about you. And it's a guarantee that I am more fit than you are.

And about your comment that the day when a song lasts 10+ hours?? In that single statement you've showed your inability to see the larger picture and how narrow minded you really are because you've completely missed the true benefit of what was offered.

Sigh to narrow minded people. Smh

• Like 1

A few people have pointed that out now. That is a bonus. Not sure how or why that changed, especially if you listen to Major Nelsons reasoning, but it's cool none the less. :)

The fact region lock was removed in the same sweep leads me to believe the whole digital distribution, sharing with family and trading games was also limited in this fashion, I'm glad this was removed, it'll allow me to buy an xbox locally here in NZ and still be able to get games shipped in from back home in Canada.

And while it would have been nice to be able to share games with family back in Canada, I suspect in situations such as mine, the regional locks would

have prevented it.

Fast game switching and sharing were progress in my opinion. Making you get up and change the disk or jump on a train to give it to a friend is not. Progress is about making life easier and that's what the XB1 offered up until now.

Fast game switching for those that switch games a lot (I say not that many) is progress, and I'm sure it will come if there is demand, in a way that doesn't restrict more than it progresses for many. I'm not sure about the sharing, I think what was lost was too high of a cost with regards to game renting and used games, and simply giving a game away, etc.

They need to find a better way to do those things. Probably the biggest is fast game switching but I don't  think anything lost outweighs what was gained by dropping the restrictive policies.

I'm not sure why fast game switching has to go away with regards to digital purchases and even digital purchases and a game on physical media. And sharing digital downloads, I'm not sure why that has to go away.

If there's enough demand, software updates can return these features.

I really don't think you can say Sony won anythig with BR. In fact MS pulled out of the "HD War" very early because their bet is and always has been on digital. Sony still haven't reached the success they had with DVD/PS2, nor made the money back on it last I heard.

No, HD-DVD lost. Went on fire-sale, and never returned. Developers were stripping content and textures to fit on DVD9 for Xbox. Blu-ray won the HD-War and the console media war for now. Let's hope all next-gen games utilize as much of that as possible.

No, HD-DVD lost. Went on fire-sale, and never returned. Developers were stripping content and textures to fit on DVD9 for Xbox. Blu-ray won the HD-War and the console media war for now. Let's hope all next-gen games utilize as much of that as possible.

Agree to disagree.

HD DVD was superior in many ways compared to BR, but Microsoft were the ones who decided to pull the plug in the end. They could have continued the fight if they didn't have XBLM. And with the gift of hindsight we have now, they've managed to achieve far more with apps (Netflix/HBO etc), on X360 than Sony have with BRs, which aren't really a selling point outside of PS3 exclusives.

The ironic part -- you have to connect online to enable offline mode.  The lack of DRM is coming via Day One patch update.

I like that Microsoft changed their stance. But I think those of you who are angry they removed it are thinking about it all wrong. Family-sharing, fast game-switching, sans-disc gaming, and all of the other features that this DRM "allowed" can be done without a mandatory 24 hour brick-check.

In my opinion, this shift in policies by Microsoft did not permanently remove these cool features. It merely delayed them. And now we can look forward to Microsoft implementing them in a way that is fair to everyone. So we have to wait a little while for those features? That's fine. In the meantime, we get better digital distribution, cloud functionality, and it's gaming as usual. And I am totally fine with that.

To think that this change completely removed these things from the Xbone for its entire lifespan is kind of ridiculous. The 360 is completely different today than it was when it first came out. Anyone remember the blade UI or the days prior to Netflix integration? I don't see why it would be any different with the upcoming generation.