Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

A win for common sense. Anyone saying otherwise is deluded.

Having the majority of the forward thinking features removed because of some bawling cry babies is common sense? You're pretty deluded.

They should have kept the original requirements but add the "you need the disk in the drive" and disable family sharing if you ever lose internet. That would have solved the DRM issue without permanently losing the cool features.

See, now that makes complete and total sense. Allow people with internet to use their console without discs, and if you don't have internet, or your internet goes out, you'd be required to have the disc in the tray. This would allow people who don't have internet (military as the favorite example, but plenty of people I know also) to only buy discs rather than digital, and always be able to play by having the disc in the tray. However, if they ever decided to hook it up to the internet, it would validate licenses and allow them to do the 24hr check in and play without disc. I'm not sure why they didn't do both.

Having the majority of the forward thinking features removed because of some bawling cry babies is common sense? You're pretty deluded.

Limiting what a user can do is not forward thinking. You just fell for the marketing. This shows exactly how ludicrous their "cloud" claims truly have been.

Limiting what a user can do is not forward thinking. You just fell for the marketing. This shows exactly how ludicrous their "cloud" claims truly have been.

You see it's people like you that don;t understand and have ruined it for the rest of us.

Nothing limits users more than dropping genuine great ideas because of cry babies. I'm guessing you were one of those cry babies then, could you not just buy a PS4 and leave us the hell alone?

Thanks internet! Bunch of loud mouth *******s. This is why we can't have nice things.

Yeah its so nice to not be able to play my video games whenever my Internet dies.

People should have seen this coming. First the start menu coming back now no drm.

I'm glad MS came to their senses.

You see it's people like you that don;t understand and have ruined it for the rest of us.

Nothing limits users more than dropping genuine great ideas because of cry babies. I'm guessing you were one of those cry babies then, could you not just buy a PS4 and leave us the hell alone?

The fact that you think it was the "cry babies" responsible for this is hilarious. I think you should watch the Sony conference again. People were cheering for a reason.

• Like 2

I think it's funny that people are blaming "us". If MS were so sure of their plan they wouldn't be making a drastic move like this. They've decided it's not the right way to progress either, so if you want to bitch, bitch at them.

So thanks to the whiners, I can no longer

- share my library with my fanily

- play my games with the disk, protecting the disk

- switch games instantly since disk is required

- play my games on any of my consoles without remembering to bring the disk.

- lend games to friends

- rent games digitally. 

Thank you guys. you're awesome for saving me from this freedom. /s

The fact that you think it was the "cry babies" responsible for this is hilarious. I think you should watch the Sony conference again. People were cheering for a reason.

And yet, we lose great features like family sharing because people want to trade games. =/

- lend games to friends

- rent games digitally.

You can lend your game disc AND play with the disc!

If you want to get down to it, we just exchanged one batch of restrictions with another set of limitations.  Now I can't share my content if it's digital, I could before.  Now I can't access my whole library from any Xbox One just by logging in and downloading the game I feel like playing, I was going to be able to before.   Now we're back to being tied to a physical disc, now I have to swap discs back in when I want to play a different game unless all my games are digital but then I can't share/give them away to anyone either because they're digital and locked down like before.

More tradeoffs to gain something else.

neowin community gonnaa cry about it.. :rolleyes: I swear most of you guys were oh im going to get a ps4 and now complain that the xbox one changed?? Who cares?? Go use steam. At least they listen to feedback. And you call us cry babies? if it wasnt for feedback we wouldnt have a Windows 7 today or a new update for Windows 8!!

• Like 1

See, now that makes complete and total sense. Allow people with internet to use their console without discs, and if you don't have internet, or your internet goes out, you'd be required to have the disc in the tray. This would allow people who don't have internet (military as the favorite example, but plenty of people I know also) to only buy discs rather than digital, and always be able to play by having the disc in the tray. However, if they ever decided to hook it up to the internet, it would validate licenses and allow them to do the 24hr check in and play without disc. I'm not sure why they didn't do both.

you play game with the disk offline for as long as you want. your friend plays the game online with 60 minute verification without the disk for as long as he wants. 

see the flaw ? 

"Sharing" on a console that was initially built around DRM, yeah, I'm sure your night time fantasies of not needing to pay for your games because you could share everything was really going to be that simple.

Thanks internet! Bunch of loud mouth *******s.  This is why we can't have nice things. 

If you want DRM that bad artificially inflict it on yourself. If your Xbox loses connection to the internet for an extended period of time tell yourself no gaming for arbitrary reasons.

Am i the only one who finds it really bizarre that ms fans are crying about microsoft trying to make the console better and save it from potential failure?

- lend games to friends

- rent games digitally. 

Umm... all these things are still possible without DRM...

Has Microsoft actually confirmed those things or are you just throwing an assumption tantrum?

Yeah its so nice to not be able to play my video games whenever my Internet dies.

People should have seen this coming. First the start menu coming back now no drm.

I'm glad MS came to their senses.

OT: hate to break it to you but, it's not. 

If you want DRM that bad artificially inflict it on yourself. If your Xbox loses connection to the internet for an extended period of time tell yourself no gaming for arbitrary reasons.

LOL.

Can't believe people are wanting DRM back, best thing MS have done in a while.

• Like 1

- lend games to friends

- rent games digitally. 

No problem glad we can help!