Xbox One: No Games DRM or "Always Online"

MS keeps saying "Just like you could before" I don't want to be doing it like i did before, with a new console i want to be gaming like it's the future not the past.

Basically we're now stuck with two nextgen consoles with last gen thinking.

This is the problem with the pro DRM people. ME ME ME. "I don't want to walk up the stairs to swap discs. I have an always on connection, doesn't bother me. I never rent games". Never stopping to think how the previous model would actually impact on people while these changes announced today are at worst a minor inconvenience for themselves. It doesn't stop them playing games.

I think any rational person would recognise this is a good thing.

The thing they should do is allow both, use the old policy for digital download and the "new" policy for disc base, that way you give users a choice not just forcing them in to one method.

• Like 1

MS keeps saying "Just like you could before" I don't want to be doing it like i did before, with a new console i want to be gaming like it's the future not the past.

Basically we're now stuck with two nextgen consoles with last gen thinking.

there is a glimmer of hope in this quote

Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won?t be able to deliver at launch."

Similarly I think a lot of the PS fanboys who keep going on about their "supposedly" region free Playstations(we know how true that was with the PS3) are missing the full meaning of this quote:

Microsoft also announced today a loosening of the Xbox One's regional restrictions. "You could buy a console in any country and use it any country," Whitten said. "You can use any disc in that console."

Why would I want to run with my disk up and down the stairs, when I could have my entire libary working n both consoles here.  Ha ha ha wow, so you would take draconian DRM simply so you don't have to go up and down the stairs? incredible. I don't think the Kinect is for you either. Regardless, theyre not getting rid of digital downloads so you can still sit on your butt and access any game to your hearts content. and consoles elsewhere. and I could share my library with my family, including the ones living 2 hours away in Sweden. Andeven if I install the disk, I still need to take out the disk and have it in the console, as opposed to safe in a case on the shelf. I thought you didn't want to have a disc collection anymore? why are you worried about scratched discs? just download them. not a chore. but sometimes I like to swap around games, untill I decide what to play. it's better not to require a disk, arguing that havign to insert a disk to change game is better is rather. ridiculous.

with their old system I could lend games digitally to my friends(not at launch but soon after), and they where implementing digital rentingway to keep up.

Nope it was something they said they were looking in to. Nice attempt to try and make yourself appear to be in the know however

Ha ha ha I know. The Xbone fans are suddenly upset that they will have to buy digital downloads instead of physical media to get the no-disc-check feature, when up until today those same people were saying DD was the future and that physical discs were just another way of installing the game for luddites who don't want to have to download them.

And people thinking the 'family plan' was ANYTHING other than a trial-balloon floated by MS as an attempt at damage control... LOL.

This is the problem with the pro DRM people. ME ME ME. "I don't want to walk up the stairs to swap discs. I have an always on connection, doesn't bother me. I never rent games". Never stopping to think how the previous model would actually impact on people while these changes announced today are at worst a minor inconvenience for themselves. It doesn't stop them playing games.

Yup, don't change what isn't broke. There's a reason consoles attract different gamers than PCs, just like mobiles attract different gamers than consoles. We've been using a similar model for consoles since the beginning, and it's worked great. Neowin is full of people who only think about themselves, others ON Neowin, or at the most a very specific group of people.

Ha ha ha I know. The Xbone fans are suddenly upset that they will have to buy digital downloads instead of physical media to get the no-disc-check feature, when up until today those same people were saying DD was the future and that physical discs were just another way of installing the game for luddites who don't want to have to download them.

And people thinking the 'family plan' was ANYTHING other than a trial-balloon floated by MS as an attempt at damage control... LOL.

For a company that's spent the last few days saying "BUT THE CLOUD!", you'd of thought the people lapping up PR statements would stop by now after this complete U-Turn.

So stop buying discs and support Microsoft's digital services.

Seriously, there is nothing stopping them from retaining the prior feature set on the digital side of the console. You people keep clamouring about wanting a "new next-gen console" and not the status quo, so why on earth are you still buying discs?

Thing is, these new features have been removed full stop. I will be buying digitally but now this will not get me the new features.

Also don't remember saying i was buying discs, i've not bought a physical disk in years. Have a read over the full announcement and then come back at me with a reply that makes sense.

To counter this, all your moaning about DRM was 'me me me' too. Not so smart now eh? ;)

To counter this, all your moaning about DRM was 'me me me' too. Not so smart now eh? ;)

Actually I think about 85% of the internet was included in the moaning about DRM.

Can you read? The new features have been removed from digital downloads as well. Your point is mute.

Yup, don't change what isn't broke. There's a reason consoles attract different gamers than PCs, just like mobiles attract different gamers than consoles. We've been using a similar model for consoles since the beginning, and it's worked great. Neowin is full of people who only think about themselves, others ON Neowin, or at the most a very specific group of people.

For a company that's spent the last few days saying "BUT THE CLOUD!", you'd of thought the people lapping up PR statements would stop by now after this complete U-Turn.

Yeah!  ###### other people for having a different view point!!

Viva la hive mind!!!!

:crazy:

So 90% of the internet pre-ordered a PS4?  :rolleyes:

I really do think Neowin somehow lives inside a bubble at times.

I see the very real concept of the vocal (and negative) minority is totally lost on you.

Look at WoW as an example. if you read anythign about it on the Internet, you'd think it was the worst and most hated game in the worlds. there 10000 negative posts for every positive. But the game has over 8 million active players at this time, with a peak of over 11. As any marketing person knows and any store owner or manager, or even employee knows, positive people (Virtually) never talk about their experiences. people only talk about stuff if it's to complain. People don't take the time of out their day to go on the internet to write positive things, they do it to rant and flame and complain. 

The only difference is FB, but then it's lost amidst you important updates that you had to go to the toilet and stuff, and it's all about casual "conversation" not serious "talk". 

• Like 1

Actually I think about 85% of the internet was included in the moaning about DRM.

So 85% of the internet was 'me me me' what's your point?

So 85% of the internet was 'me me me' what's your point?

A successful company does not rely on 15% of the population.

• Like 2

So 90% of the internet pre-ordered a PS4?  :rolleyes:

I really do think Neowin somehow lives inside a bubble at times.

Well you see I can't "thank" people on every forum, can I? This is my news site and forum, so this is were I express myself. :-)

I don't see the issue here.  If that means I can borrow a game off a friend without the ###### then it's fine.  Also, DRM doesn't mean games would be better or cheaper, just mean the game publishes get more money and more money doesn't mean more quality.

Did you miss the part where the digital downloads are also not getting the new features. or where you just ignoring it so you could troll a bit. 

• Like 1

So stop buying discs and support Microsoft's digital services.

Seriously, there is nothing stopping them from retaining the prior feature set on the digital side of the console. You people keep clamouring about wanting a "new next-gen console" and not the status quo, so why on earth are you still buying discs?

Whats so hard to understand here, the changes base don the major lack of understanding now stop ANY DIGITALLY BOUGHT GAME BEING SHARED OR SOLD, before the disk was simply a way to save your bandwidth (so you didn't have to download it) but it would have been treated like a digital copy, thus allowing all games to be treated the same and allowing massive benefits (game sharing - diskless, selling etc.).

This is now gone, and cant be brought back due to the way these things work.

• Like 2

A successful company does not rely on 15% of the population.

A successful company thinks for itself and doesn't pander to the every whim of the naysayers and little bitches.

Thing is, these new features have been removed full stop. I will be buying digitally but now this will not get me the new features.

Also don't remember saying i was buying discs, i've not bought a physical disk in years. Have a read over the full announcement and then come back at me with a reply that makes sense.

Considering Valve are moving to support similar features on Steam I would be very surprised if Microsoft do not eventually work it back in on the digital side of the console.

Even if Microsoft are being childish by throwing the proverbial toys out of the pram, it doesn't change the core point. Nothing is stopping them for pursuing their original "next-gen" plans on the digital side of the consoles.

All that is ultimately changing is policy on physical media. The transition to DD and the relevant business models and feature sets is inevitable.

Exactly how does this Affect their cloud fucntionality ?

Exactly what do you think the cloud had to do with their DRM?

oh right you and Marty where spreading that FUD wher eyou claimed that the cloud and the DRM was the same thing, despite being to different services, doing two different things, not even running on the same servers or server systems, on running on the live DRM  servers the other running on the Azure cloud servers. 

The cloud is going nowhere. 

A successful company thinks for itself and doesn't pander to the every whim of the naysayers and little bitches.

If a company was to be successful it wouldn't call 85% of it's users naysayers and little bitches.

Considering Valve are moving to support similar features on Steam I would be very surprised if Microsoft do not eventually work it back in on the digital side of the console.

Even if Microsoft are being childish by throwing the proverbial toys out of the pram, it doesn't change the core point. Nothing is stopping them for pursuing their original "next-gen" plans on the digital side of the consoles.

All that is ultimately changing is policy on physical media. The transition to DD and the relevant business models and feature sets is inevitable.

The problem is, this was in place and ready to go. Now it's been removed and those great launch features are gone.

Whether or not they bring it back is not the point here, the point is that the evolution of console gaming has been put back, probably by a few years.

If a company was to be successful it wouldn't call 85% of it's users naysayers and little bitches.

Ummm they didn't... i did.

Exactly how does this Affect their cloud fucntionality ?

Exactly what do you think the cloud had to do with their DRM?

oh right you and Marty where spreading that FUD wher eyou claimed that the cloud and the DRM was the same thing, despite being to different services, doing two different things, not even running on the same servers or server systems, on running on the live DRM  servers the other running on the Azure cloud servers. 

The cloud is going nowhere. 

My point is MS PR the last few days has been hilariously bad at trying to defend DRM, reflect journalists questions and not answer things clearly.

Don Matrick has almost sank the whole company in a few days with the ###### that has come out his mouth.

Still having issues with the vocal minority concept.