Photo

Missile theory to be probed in '96 TWA Flight 800 crash

new york jfk airport reassembled parts july documentary high speed projectile explosive residue

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,533 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 22:17

A handful of aviation experts, including a number of investigators who were part of the original probe of TWA Flight 800, have come forward in a new documentary to say evidence points to a missile as the cause of the crash off the coast of Long Island 17 years ago.

The New York-to-Paris flight crashed July 17, 1996, just minutes after takeoff from JFK Airport, killing all 230 people aboard. In the weeks that followed, the plane was reassembled in a hangar from parts retrieved from the sea. But the cause of the crash was not identified immediately, and after authorities said the crash was caused by static electricity ignited fuel fumes, many skeptics cast doubt on the theory. Adding to the controversy were multiple eyewitness accounts of a fireball going up from the ground and hitting the plane before it went down, accounts which the FBI dismissed at the time.

The half-dozen investigators whose charges will be fleshed out in a documentary set to air July 17 - the anniversary of the crash - say they were never allowed to get at the truth. But they are confident a missile brought down the plane.

"We don't know who fired the missile," said Jim Speer, an accident investigator for the Airline Pilots Association, one of a half-dozen experts seeking a new review of the probe. "But we have a lot more confidence that it was a missile."

The group is comprised of people who worked for the National Transportation Safety Board, TWA and the Airline Pilots Association, all of whom have since retired. All six say that the evidence shows the plane was brought down by a projectile traveling at a high speed.

“It all fits like a glove,” said Tom Stalcup, a physicist who is considered one of the foremost independent researchers and participated in the documentary, said during a press conference on Wednesday. “It is what it is and all the evidence is there.”

Hank Hughes, a retired senior accident investigator for NTSB, said probers were not allowed to seek answers once the FBI took over the crime scene. "We just want to see the truth come out," Hughes said. "We don't have hidden agendas. The only thing we are looking for is the truth."

Speer, who says he found explosive residue on a part from the right wing which also had three holes, agreed.

“It’s obvious that the truth was not allowed to be pursued," said Speer. “A majority of people working in that hanger did not feel as if the evidence was properly being handled.”

more

#2 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 22:21

Pretty well known around here that it was a missle, fired by the Navy - supposedly a mistake.

#3 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,383 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 23:09

Can't blame anyone but Slick Willy if there was a coverup on this one.

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,533 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:00

I wonder if this was something deliberate, or some Navy guy goofing around.

#5 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,903 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:06

coverup therefore conspiracy.

#6 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,087 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:34

People will still find excuses .. seriously who do you think has access to a missile within the US ?

Can only be the Military or the Navy. Or some black ops group.

Suggesting that it could be a mistake is even more ridiculous.

#7 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 2,955 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:41

Tinhats rejoice!

#8 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,087 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:45

Tinhats rejoice!

Yeah sure ...it's so fun that the FBI coverup the death of more than 200 passengers :huh:

#9 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:38

Dozens of witness along the shore saw a light rise up from the ocean, then the plane exploded.

Adding to the oddness was how the CIA played the front man for the story explaining why it couldn't have been a missile, even so far as to create a CGI video reenactment (which said "CIA Reenactment" in the corner) for CNN and the media. It wasn't the TSA or the FBI, it was the CIA doing the explaining almost the whole time.

A lot of aviation experts came forward at the time to say the "fuel explosion" theory was very improbable. I've always thought that it was likely a missile.

Edit: -> I got curious and was surprised to find the CIA animation right from CNN.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=roCjDRgewLw

Edited by thomastmc, 20 June 2013 - 01:46.

#10 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:56

Didn't you guys know? It was a false flag and no one was even on board! Obama set it all up. 

#11 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,903 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:33

^but obama was noname in 1996 ...
even the tin hats folks wont make such absurdly baseless claim

#12 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,383 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:17

With all the Stingers we gave Afghan fighters it could also have been launched from a private ship that AQ appropriated. Could also have been captured Russian hardware.

#13 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,529 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:31

I've been saying it since that horrifying day

I personally would like to know one way or the other,

(not that I don't believe the official report, I also saw a smoke trail intercepting the plane on tv)

#14 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 13:24

Pretty well known around here that it was a missle, fired by the Navy - supposedly a mistake.

A very good reason for a coverup. Friendly fire is the worse kind.

#15 Zinomian

Zinomian

Neowinian

• 112 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 13:56

Out of all the conspiracy theories out there (which most are simply ridiculous and i am totally against!), this one is one where I can see some doubts about either or of the two possible scenarios.  The "official" statement about how the crash happened, and why some people seems to think they saw a trail of light going up (shown in the video), totally makes sense, and I could understand how it might look like something else, such as a missile, however, the fact that some of these investigators are coming forth with their doubts does raise a concern of a cover up (if there was any), although I always feel like this people get soo caught up on trying to make a theory work that they forget or ignore other facts.

usually, the simplest explanations/reasons are the correct ones. (keep in mind, usually, not always).