Convicted killer collects $55G-per-year in pension from behind bars

A veteran Chicago fire lieutenant who is serving a lengthy prison sentence for beating his second wife to death has been receiving a pension check from the city that has amounted to $840,000 since his incarceration.

Eugene Ornstead, 76, applied for his firefighter's pension days after he committed the murder, the station reported. He is not eligible for parole until he is 100. :huh:

In 1994, the veteran Chicago fire department lieutenant beat his second wife to death in their home, MyFoxChicago.com reported. Then, he stuffed her body in the trunk of his car and drove to Racine County, Wis., where he told police they had been kidnapped.

Before his conviction on first-degree murder charges, Ornstead resigned from active duty in a handwritten letter and put in for his pension, reminding the fire department he's still owed his furlough and mileage checks.

Documents show Ornstead receives more in his pension check because he is considered a "sole survivor," the station reported.

more

That's just wrong. Why does he even need money in prison?

To buy cigarettes and drugs without having butt pain?

Normally financial restitution goes to the victims family, but in this case he killed his wife and the money's going to his daughter grom a prwvious marriage.

Ornstead?s daughter from this first marriage, Kristyn McClearn, a Chicago police officer, was given the power of attorney and has been cashing his pension checks for the past 19 years, the station reported. She told the station that she spends some of the money on herself with her dad's permission.

"A lot of people will be angry, but if you read the statute it's fine. Correct? That's what the pension board told you, correct? In my opinion? What he did, he's serving time for it," McClearn says. "Is it right that he gets his pension? Yes, he deserves his pension. What he did has nothing to do with his being a fireman and he deserves his pension."

Normally financial restitution goes to the victims family, but in this case he killed his wife and the money's going to his daughter grom a prwvious marriage.

Yeah this is the way it is, but is it right? 

I'd send it to the victims blood family, not his previous wifes daughter, but given how screwed up some Illinois laws are it's no surprise.

It's definitely a screwed up mess up there.

I don't see the problem. Committing a crime?even one as serious as murder?should not forfeit any legally earned income.

I don't see the problem. Committing a crime?even one as serious as murder?should not forfeit any legally earned income.

Might want to check the restitution laws in most states, and sometimes the federal govt. if they prosecute. Most all assets can be eligible for forfeiture.

Might want to check the restitution laws in most states, and sometimes the federal govt. if they prosecute. Most all assets can be eligible for forfeiture.

Does the US really allow restitution for non-tangible losses? As far as I'm aware, in the UK restitution is limited to ?5,000 per offence and only applies in cases where a person illegally profited from a crime - i.e. stealing items, reneging on a contract, etc. Personally I think the desire to apply a monetary value to everything in life is distasteful. The criminal justice system should not revolve around money. The US bail system is the most obvious example of money influencing justice, with bail amounts determined by what people are willing to pay rather than the risk to society.

There's more to life than money.

Yes but that has to happen at the time of conviction and sentencing. If this money was not included, what is being done is correct. Just because there were eligible to be forfeit does mean they will be.