Photo
washington state facebook ruse arranged meeting blocked escape are you interested

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,876 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 22:35

SPOKANE, WA –  A father who discovered his 15-year-old daughter was being wooed on Facebook by a man twice her age took matters into his own hands.

He hatched a Facebook ruse that drew the 30-year-old Federal Way man to Spokane earlier this month. Then the father and a couple of his buddies staked out the arranged meeting spot and blocked the man's escape until police arrived.

The Spokesman-Review (http://bit.ly/190xaXm ) reports that the suspect, identified in court documents as Jason D. Richards, faces charges of child rape and attempted kidnapping in Spokane County Superior Court. He is jailed on a $100,000 bond.

The newspaper did not publish the name of the girl or her family.

The relationship began in April through a Facebook dating application called "Are You Interested" and was discovered earlier this month by the parents, court records show.

Richards and the girl exchanged hundreds of Facebook messages, communicated via YouTube, met face-to-face in May and then made plans to elope, court records show.

When the girl's parents discovered the relationship on June 7, they took their daughter's computer and locked her out of her Facebook account.

The mother then continued to message the man, posing as her daughter, and persuaded him to go through with the runaway plan. When he arrived at the family's Spokane home in the early hours of June 8, the girl's father and two of his friends were waiting for him in an alley behind the house. They held him until police arrived.

#2 NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

• 2,269 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 22:59

Awesome. Too bad they didn't kick his ass too.

#3 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 23:09

faces charges of child rape and attempted kidnapping in Spokane County Superior Court

When did this happen? I must have missed that part.

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,876 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 23:58

^ Maybe he had her 'do things' on-cam.

#5 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:10

^ Maybe he had her 'do things' on-cam.

And that's rape and/or attempted kidnapping?

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,876 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:13

^ Could be considered statutory rape -- I am not a lawyer.

The attempted kidnapping part is of course, from attempting to elope with the girl.

And of course, the charges may not stand up in court.

#7 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:21

He probably has previous charges on him.

#8 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,876 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:25

:p Should have had him on hand ...

th?id=H.5021131266721274&pid=15.1&H=136&

#9 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,133 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:25

When did this happen? I must have missed that part.

"hundreds of Facebook messages, communicated via YouTube, met face-to-face in May and then made plans to elope"

I'm guessing then.

#10 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:31

"hundreds of Facebook messages, communicated via YouTube, met face-to-face in May and then made plans to elope"

I'm guessing then.

Clearly.

Anyways, I'm not condoning this practice I'm just pointing out a gap in the story. If it was a reasonable relationship without rape or kidnapping then I don't have an issue with a 15 year old dating a 30 year old if they are both aware of the social problems arising from that. I don't say this to justify myself ever doing that -- as I wouldn't -- but, getting rape and kidnapping charges is a big deal, and if it's only because he flirted with her then I think that's a tad extreme.

They probably had 'consensual' sex and he's been tried for statutory rape. The attempted kidnapping charge is interesting though...

#11 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,133 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 00:43

Clearly.

Anyways, I'm not condoning this practice I'm just pointing out a gap in the story. If it was a reasonable relationship without rape or kidnapping then I don't have an issue with a 15 year old dating a 30 year old if they are both aware of the social problems arising from that. I don't say this to justify myself ever doing that -- as I wouldn't -- but, getting rape and kidnapping charges is a big deal, and if it's only because he flirted with her then I think that's a tad extreme.

They probably had 'consensual' sex and he's been tried for statutory rape. The attempted kidnapping charge is interesting though...

Well, removing a minor against the will of the parent is kidnapping, so it is a small leap there. Quick story... I had a friend that turned 18. His girlfriend was under 18. He picked her up one day and they decided together to drive to the next state and spend time together - consensually. The police got him, as the parents called the cops. he was arrested for kidnapping and went to the big house until it all got sorted out in court.

I remember him crying to me before the trial. It was consensual, and I even hung out with them before, and they were one of those 'in love couples', but because the age, her parents took advantage of the law and boom.

Now, I am torn because 15 and 30 is a BIG difference in age, and I more wonder why (well, we know why) the 30 year old was hanging out with a 15 year old.

#12 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,908 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:22

The relationship began in April through a Facebook dating application called "Are You Interested" and was discovered earlier this month by the parents, court records show.

WHY is a facebook app letting kids on! They should be AGE checking this!

#13 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,780 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:40

Father had quite some patience. I would have skipped straight to "ass beating" mode.

#14 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,403 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:10

Awesome. Too bad they didn't kick his ass too.

I think the fact he didn't resort to violence and helped the law apprehend this guy is admirable. I could understand why a father would want to kick the guy's ass, and perhaps he deserves it, but vigilante justice is never a good idea.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 13:39

Awesome. More parents need to take active interest in their children's lives and be proactive.