56 posts in this topic

Posted

Not just the drivers, (That I read here somewhere) There's little in the way of support, so I've been told (of course I could be wrong in this again)

Instead of parroting the usual FUD about Linux how about using it and then making a proper assessment of the system? Or just like the Xbone "controversy" you are just going to spout nonsense instead? Prime example of the whole mess, ignorant people making ignorant comments following the herd instead of investigating and making up your own mind on the non issue

Posted

I doubt this will actually help their sales, PS4 fanboys have actually nitpicked the hell out of good feature.

The X1 has already sold out pre-order units at most outlets.

Posted

Don't tell that to the Sony fanboys or they'll come up with new crap to say about it!!!!!!

Posted

Instead of parroting the usual FUD about Linux how about using it and then making a proper assessment of the system? Or just like the Xbone "controversy" you are just going to spout nonsense instead? Prime example of the whole mess, ignorant people making ignorant comments following the herd instead of investigating and making up your own mind on the non issue

Oh? So for someone who reads stuff, and tries to learn as much as one can from forums, and has no real way of test installing an OS I actually would like to try out, the best you can do is blast me for being a little worried about trying it out??, (sheesh, talking about what you don't know killing you)

Oh, and when did I spout nonsense about the xbox one? I've tried to remain neutral in that stance

And to address the ignorant people remark, the facts you learned at school are one by one being disproved all the time by researchers, QI is an example of that in action

Posted

I am happy that Microsoft back peddled on its DRM restrictions. Now I am actually thinking of buying Xbox One when Microsoft have a tie up with my DTH operator Tata Sky. 

Regarding the previous DRM policy where you could share games with up to 10 people, it may not be so simple that all 10 would be playing it at the same time or just 1 of the 11 (incl you) was allowed to play at the same time. It was not totally clear. If everyone starts downloading games digitally, how much pressure be put on ISP's infrastructure? Here in India it would take 3-4 days to download a game on our 1 mbps lines.

So using game blurays is best bet for us. Discs are still going to survive for 5-6 years. 

I welcome this decision. SimCity fiasco is still fresh in my mind. EA lost my sale because of it.

Some of you guys here please be considerate. Not everyone lives in US who gets preferential treatment when it comes to TV packages and high speed internet.

Posted

I wouldn't count out on these features making a comeback in time.  Hell I think we'll see them push out the ability to share and sell your digital download titles first and then maybe if possible work out a way for users to change their disc version to a digital version like was originally planned that would then allow you to share and not need to disc at all again.  Of course in doing so it's a one way ticket and that disc is now just there for you to keep on a shelf to look pretty in it's box.

With the Xbox One set to be on the market for a good 7 years at least I bet, like the 360, they have time to re-introduce ideas over time so that gamers see the benefits and get used to the new way of doing things. So who knows?  If they pull it off right then when it's time to talk about the Xbox Two, heh heh,  we could see this all come to pass but right now it seems to have been two much too soon, though I question that.   So far the Xbox One has been stuck in the #2 spot on the Amazon best sellers list for the video game category.  Go figure.

Posted

Xbox is not all about TV! Yes, just like instergram will soon release a video upload option (do u call that all about video).

Yes, maybe DRM wasn't for you, but I like the disc sharing feature. After people made Microsoft to remove the darn DRM, not it doesn't feel next gen at all. Feels like Sony is way for ahead with its console.

Who cares if you need online connection? MS didn't say was 24/7 and 365. When you play steam games, you need to login don't you?

Microsoft is bad as it is and people made it even more crappier!

Posted

I am happy that Microsoft back peddled on its DRM restrictions. Now I am actually thinking of buying Xbox One when Microsoft have a tie up with my DTH operator Tata Sky. 

Regarding the previous DRM policy where you could share games with up to 10 people, it may not be so simple that all 10 would be playing it at the same time or just 1 of the 11 (incl you) was allowed to play at the same time. It was not totally clear. If everyone starts downloading games digitally, how much pressure be put on ISP's infrastructure? Here in India it would take 3-4 days to download a game on our 1 mbps lines.

So using game blurays is best bet for us. Discs are still going to survive for 5-6 years. 

I welcome this decision. SimCity fiasco is still fresh in my mind. EA lost my sale because of it.

Some of you guys here please be considerate. Not everyone lives in US who gets preferential treatment when it comes to TV packages and high speed internet.

Amerikuhh fuuu yeah!

Posted

Selling out of anything is fairly meaningless until you know the number that were available in the first place. I could make just five Playbox 920's and say "this is so awesome and everyone obviously wants one as it sold out!" Meaningless.

On top of that you have bundles, SKUs, etc.

Posted

I am happy that Microsoft back peddled on its DRM restrictions. Some of you guys here please be considerate. Not everyone lives in US who gets preferential treatment when it comes to TV packages and high speed internet.

1. The 24hr check didn't need a high speed connection
2. This changes nothing about TV.

Posted

1. The 24hr check didn't need a high speed connection
2. This changes nothing about TV.

1. Downloading cloud based games needs fast connection with liberal download caps. (Which you know we dont have here)

2. I want to dump the slow and clunky set top box of Tata Sky. So waiting for deals to happen in future.

Posted

Microsoft really messed up here. Surely most of you saw my comments and probably assume I

1 person likes this

Posted

1. Downloading cloud based games needs fast connection with liberal download caps. (Which you know we dont have here)

2. I want to dump the slow and clunky set top box of Tata Sky. So waiting for deals to happen in future.

You didn't to download games with the old system. Disc was your download medium.

Posted

You didn't to download games with the old system. Disc was your download medium.

I am happy it's going to also be disc based games. I dislike downloading 20gbs of games. Would take me few days just to download a game.

What's your point?

Posted

So just because some people don't have the TV packages and good HSI the ones who do have to be denied new and interesting digital innovation? 

Posted

whats funny is, before, it was , DRM is the devil,and now once the DRM is removed,everyone is sad. Just go look at tech sites, like the verge,ars,gizmodo,etc... they are now saying its sad this DRM is gone and features like family share and digital distribution were the future. Why the fuck weren't they supporting this thing in their articles then?

Posted

So just because some people don't have the TV packages and good HSI the ones who do have to be denied new and interesting digital innovation? 

It's not some. There are entire continents (Asia mainly) who will miss out on fun and will opt for PS4 instead. Microsoft did the same to Zune and look where it is today. Microsoft knew very well that it has to be a somewhat global launch for some degree of success.

When people would have realized that all the trumpeted features were useless to them due to their geography, the backlash would have been even more. Not to forget I wouldn't have been able to order from Amazon UK or US game sales.

Hopefully all the tasty DRM features which some here want will make it into the next generation of consoles when world is ready for them (Infrastructure wise and mind frame wise)

But thankfully sense has prevailed now.

1 person likes this

Posted

whats funny is, before, it was , DRM is the devil,and now once the DRM is removed,everyone is sad. Just go look at tech sites, like the verge,ars,gizmodo,etc... they are now saying its sad this DRM is gone and features like family share and digital distribution were the future. Why the **** weren't they supporting this thing in their articles then?

The Waterboy effect, 'It's the Devil'

get rid of it, it's still the devil

(the old 'damned if you do, and damned if you don't'

1 person likes this

Posted

I will repeat what I said in the Xbox DRM thread before it was closed, because it still seems some of you are missing the bigger picture.

The family sharing, sans-disc gaming has only be temporarily removed because of the DRM reversal. It will be implemented in the future, just not at launch. So the only negative thing about this DRM news is that the innovative stuff was delayed.

Microsoft's Marc Whitten even alluded to this fact.

Giant Bomb: Does that mean, specifically, the family sharing and stuff like that is not off the table, or just something we're not talking about for launch?

Whitten: We're talking about where we are at launch, and we'll continue to invest and deliver interesting, cool, new scenarios. We'll see where we go.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-s-marc-whitten-talks-xbox-one-s-big-poli/1100-4675/

The features that were removed due to the DRM change were not removed permanently. So, the net result of this whole situation is that Microsoft leveled the playing field with the PS4, gave gamers their rights back, and left the future open to implement these things in a way that doesn't require a mandatory 24 hour brick-check for everyone.

How is that a bad thing?

Posted

I know Microsoft really didn't talk about game prices, but the one thing I will say about disc based games is that prices are going to stay on the high side because of this. The one thing I saw with the Xbox One was the long term benefits and changes to the market. In theory with digital sharing, publishers can make money of used games, which would bring the cost of games down. This obviously won't happen overnight, but maybe a year down the road we will see digital game prices start to come down. Right now from the start there is no benefit to the lower cost until games are traded. 

Posted

Linux video drivers are pretty shit.

1 person likes this

Posted

I know Microsoft really didn't talk about game prices, but the one thing I will say about disc based games is that prices are going to stay on the high side because of this. The one thing I saw with the Xbox One was the long term benefits and changes to the market. In theory with digital sharing, publishers can make money of used games, which would bring the cost of games down. This obviously won't happen overnight, but maybe a year down the road we will see digital game prices start to come down. Right now from the start there is no benefit to the lower cost until games are traded. 

You've never seen game sales have you? Lots of games get 25% or more off within a couple months of release. I rarely buy games at full price.

Posted

That was never a definite. More than likely, the prices would not have changed because there is no digital competition on the consoles. So to use it as a reason to be disappointed in this news is a little far fetched

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree. Anyone who wasn't going to buy the xbox one because of the DRM already made up their mind, and trying to change someone's mind after they decide is very difficult (marketing 101). Meanwhile, anyone who wanted the family game sharing is screwed too. Somehow Microsoft managed to make a bad situation worse, IMO.

2 people like this

Posted

That was never a definite. More than likely, the prices would not have changed because there is no digital competition on the consoles. So to use it as a reason to be disappointed in this news is a little far fetched

Again thats all speculation, no way to know unless its actually tried. Yes there is no digital competition yet, but long term there is a potential market for that. It would have been nice to see Microsoft find a middle ground.