Microsoft really screwed up! *IMO*

opinion

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 Zagadka

Zagadka

Neowinian

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:47

So what do we have now? A newer gen Xbox 360 with all these cute TV features and no new gaming features

... The Kinect 2.0 integration seems to be a pretty big feature.Other than that, I honestly don't know what you can add to the gaming package. 

#17 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:47

I honestly believe within the first 6-18 months MS will look to implement a middle ground, they won't have spent the money they have building an infrastructure to support what they had and some good features like game sharing and disk-less operation to just simply abandon it in desperation for not loosing too much of its consumer base.

For me I understand the majority didn't like the DRM and the 24hr checking was far too draconian however the features it gave me (completely selfish) completely outweigh what we will have at launch. If there was an option to opt in to use it as it was designed I honestly think I would.

To give MS their due, I do think they listen to their user base, people had issues with Vista, 7 came along, people had issues with 8, 8.1 is addressing some of those. This time around they don't have time on their side so it will be baby steps to get to what will be a happy medium for all.

#18 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:50

I vote one of those 'feeling suits' you see in some sci fi movies and tv shows.

The ones where once you're wearing them, you in a virtual world 'do' things to pretty women and the suit replicates the sensations.

Geez I'm such a pervert :p

Hell I'd drop the PS4 and Run to get an XBox for that :p

#19 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:53

A Fellow Staffordshire User :)

I do agree on the point you made, the main reasons I haven't dumped windows for a rival product is because I can't afford a Mac, and I've been told finding drivers and support for Linux is a nightmare

(That and I love win 7)

Similar here. I'm on Windows 8, went all-in with the Modern/Metro features and used them solidly for the first 2 months. 8 months on and I've realized I'm basically using it like I did Windows 7. It isn't that Windows 8 is bad, just that there isn't anything great about it. /offtopic

I really want Microsoft to succeed. But... they keep promising me awesomeness and delivering me mediocrity. It isn't for a lack of ideas, but a poor execution of them. Then there is their PR...

#20 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:59

I doubt this will actually help their sales, PS4 fanboys have actually nitpicked the hell out of good feature. I've not seen one person yet say, now I can get an XBO. That's because the biggest real disadvantage of the XBO is the price. The DRM complaints were a circlejerk, something PS4 fanboys could easily pick out and say our console is better and not mention any of the benefits that came with it.

#21 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:01

They have screwed up, but not because of the reasons you state. They've killed innovation, the biggest change since the console has came out to drive digital games and a full digital game library has been killed. We're now stuck with a 360 with bigger specs because of bad PR and peoples inability to think and evaluate situations themselves.

Give yourself a pat on the back Internet. 

#22 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:41

I doubt this will actually help their sales, PS4 fanboys have actually nitpicked the hell out of good feature. I've not seen one person yet say, now I can get an XBO. That's because the biggest real disadvantage of the XBO is the price. The DRM complaints were a circlejerk, something PS4 fanboys could easily pick out and say our console is better and not mention any of the benefits that came with it.

I may get an xbox one now that they removed the drm. Not for $499, that would be stupid. My Internet is not the most stable thing in the world. And no i don't have any other options for isp's so the xbox drm was a huge turn off to it.

#23 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:01

A Fellow Staffordshire User :)

I do agree on the point you made, the main reasons I haven't dumped windows for a rival product is because I can't afford a Mac, and I've been told finding drivers and support for Linux is a nightmare

(That and I love win 7)

Don't know who told you finding drivers for Linux is a nightmare, but QUIT listening to them! Couldn't be any easier in Windows even!!

Definitely biggest turn off for me is and would be the price, and the fact I'm a PS person!!

Edit:

Just short of 4 minutes for this post to go through. Sheesh!!

#24 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:10

Don't know who told you finding drivers for Linux is a nightmare, but QUIT listening to them! Couldn't be any easier in Windows even!!

Definitely biggest turn off for me is and would be the price, and the fact I'm a PS person!!

Edit:

Just short of 4 minutes for this post to go through. Sheesh!!

Not just the drivers, (That I read here somewhere here) There's little in the way of support, so I've been told (of course I could be wrong in this again)

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:14

So what do we have now? A newer gen Xbox 360 with all these cute TV features and no new gaming features. Between the 3 new Gen consoles the Xbox One really stood out to me mainly because all of these features. Xbox one could have simply kept the family plan for digital content and the shared library feature as well as allow used games. Which would require people to not be force to installed games to the hard drive if bought as disc. That way users can see the advantages of using digital content. It makes no sense to remove it completely like some of you might think it being a wise decision. We still have CDs for music and Blu-rays are still around. Perhaps in the next 4 or 6 years, yes I can see this happening. Clearly it is not time to remove disc just yet. Instead of thinking things through Microsoft obviously pulled a desperate maneuver due to the Sony E3 Conference.

In conclusion. Don't blame fans who wanted choice. Blame your precious Microsoft for their arrogance and greed for not allowing choice and middle ground. This pathetic attempt to beat Sony only made things worst IMO. Now we have people who feel screwed over and fans who feel that the new Xbox is nothing special now that its features have been stripped away.  We lost features, so do you feel that it’s worth the 500$ anymore? I don’t. I usually don't write things like this but I felt like I had to get this off my chest. 

What? The desperate maneuver was necessary given all the backlash and there is probably not enough time to put in online/offline modes in the console. It is a fact that Sony forced their hand with respect to used game block but there are plenty of new gaming features that make it a good improvement over Xbox 360.

There is still,

1. High quality game audio through controller (this is a cool new feature but not advertized properly :s)
  2. new controller
  3. fast switching games/apps
  4. Power of the cloud :p (things like drivatars)
  5. Skype replacing in-game voice/video chat
  6. Game DVR, twitch integration

It doesn't matter if you think Kinect is a cute gimmick or not, fact is - it works and Kinect v2 brings many improvements on its own to existing features such voice controlled dash operation.

Then the family sharing option: If it was real (I doubt even MS knew what it was) then it wouldn't work without the used games block. They probably can't get publishers on board sharing if publishers can't be compensated by a cut in used games sales.

Microsoft doesn't have history on its side but used games block could've enabled game prices to drop faster (similar to steam) if it worked. They can still bring it back by enabling both modes in future given enough time but right now, they need to hit that launch window.

Fact is: Whoever lost with this, GameStop won.

That's the real sad part of the whole saga.

#26 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:19

Not just the drivers, (That I read here somewhere) There's little in the way of support, so I've been told (of course I could be wrong in this again)

Instead of parroting the usual FUD about Linux how about using it and then making a proper assessment of the system? Or just like the Xbone "controversy" you are just going to spout nonsense instead? Prime example of the whole mess, ignorant people making ignorant comments following the herd instead of investigating and making up your own mind on the non issue

#27 Zagadka

Zagadka

Neowinian

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:19

I doubt this will actually help their sales, PS4 fanboys have actually nitpicked the hell out of good feature.

The X1 has already sold out pre-order units at most outlets.

#28 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:21

The X1 has already sold out pre-order units at most outlets.

Don't tell that to the Sony fanboys or they'll come up with new crap to say about it!!!!!!

#29 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:22

Instead of parroting the usual FUD about Linux how about using it and then making a proper assessment of the system? Or just like the Xbone "controversy" you are just going to spout nonsense instead? Prime example of the whole mess, ignorant people making ignorant comments following the herd instead of investigating and making up your own mind on the non issue

Oh? So for someone who reads stuff, and tries to learn as much as one can from forums, and has no real way of test installing an OS I actually would like to try out, the best you can do is blast me for being a little worried about trying it out??, (sheesh, talking about what you don't know killing you)

Oh, and when did I spout nonsense about the xbox one? I've tried to remain neutral in that stance

And to address the ignorant people remark, the facts you learned at school are one by one being disproved all the time by researchers, QI is an example of that in action

#30 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:32

I am happy that Microsoft back peddled on its DRM restrictions. Now I am actually thinking of buying Xbox One when Microsoft have a tie up with my DTH operator Tata Sky. 

Regarding the previous DRM policy where you could share games with up to 10 people, it may not be so simple that all 10 would be playing it at the same time or just 1 of the 11 (incl you) was allowed to play at the same time. It was not totally clear. If everyone starts downloading games digitally, how much pressure be put on ISP's infrastructure? Here in India it would take 3-4 days to download a game on our 1 mbps lines.

So using game blurays is best bet for us. Discs are still going to survive for 5-6 years. 

I welcome this decision. SimCity fiasco is still fresh in my mind. EA lost my sale because of it.

Some of you guys here please be considerate. Not everyone lives in US who gets preferential treatment when it comes to TV packages and high speed internet.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!