Microsoft really screwed up! *IMO*

Not just the drivers, (That I read here somewhere) There's little in the way of support, so I've been told (of course I could be wrong in this again)

Instead of parroting the usual FUD about Linux how about using it and then making a proper assessment of the system? Or just like the Xbone "controversy" you are just going to spout nonsense instead? Prime example of the whole mess, ignorant people making ignorant comments following the herd instead of investigating and making up your own mind on the non issue

I doubt this will actually help their sales, PS4 fanboys have actually nitpicked the hell out of good feature.

The X1 has already sold out pre-order units at most outlets.

Don't tell that to the Sony fanboys or they'll come up with new crap to say about it!!!!!!

Instead of parroting the usual FUD about Linux how about using it and then making a proper assessment of the system? Or just like the Xbone "controversy" you are just going to spout nonsense instead? Prime example of the whole mess, ignorant people making ignorant comments following the herd instead of investigating and making up your own mind on the non issue

Oh? So for someone who reads stuff, and tries to learn as much as one can from forums, and has no real way of test installing an OS I actually would like to try out, the best you can do is blast me for being a little worried about trying it out??, (sheesh, talking about what you don't know killing you)

Oh, and when did I spout nonsense about the xbox one? I've tried to remain neutral in that stance

And to address the ignorant people remark, the facts you learned at school are one by one being disproved all the time by researchers, QI is an example of that in action

I am happy that Microsoft back peddled on its DRM restrictions. Now I am actually thinking of buying Xbox One when Microsoft have a tie up with my DTH operator Tata Sky. 

Regarding the previous DRM policy where you could share games with up to 10 people, it may not be so simple that all 10 would be playing it at the same time or just 1 of the 11 (incl you) was allowed to play at the same time. It was not totally clear. If everyone starts downloading games digitally, how much pressure be put on ISP's infrastructure? Here in India it would take 3-4 days to download a game on our 1 mbps lines.

So using game blurays is best bet for us. Discs are still going to survive for 5-6 years. 

I welcome this decision. SimCity fiasco is still fresh in my mind. EA lost my sale because of it.

Some of you guys here please be considerate. Not everyone lives in US who gets preferential treatment when it comes to TV packages and high speed internet.

I wouldn't count out on these features making a comeback in time.  Hell I think we'll see them push out the ability to share and sell your digital download titles first and then maybe if possible work out a way for users to change their disc version to a digital version like was originally planned that would then allow you to share and not need to disc at all again.  Of course in doing so it's a one way ticket and that disc is now just there for you to keep on a shelf to look pretty in it's box.

With the Xbox One set to be on the market for a good 7 years at least I bet, like the 360, they have time to re-introduce ideas over time so that gamers see the benefits and get used to the new way of doing things. So who knows?  If they pull it off right then when it's time to talk about the Xbox Two, heh heh,  we could see this all come to pass but right now it seems to have been two much too soon, though I question that.   So far the Xbox One has been stuck in the #2 spot on the Amazon best sellers list for the video game category.  Go figure.

Xbox is not all about TV! Yes, just like instergram will soon release a video upload option (do u call that all about video).

Yes, maybe DRM wasn't for you, but I like the disc sharing feature. After people made Microsoft to remove the darn DRM, not it doesn't feel next gen at all. Feels like Sony is way for ahead with its console.

Who cares if you need online connection? MS didn't say was 24/7 and 365. When you play steam games, you need to login don't you?

Microsoft is bad as it is and people made it even more crappier!

I am happy that Microsoft back peddled on its DRM restrictions. Now I am actually thinking of buying Xbox One when Microsoft have a tie up with my DTH operator Tata Sky. 

Regarding the previous DRM policy where you could share games with up to 10 people, it may not be so simple that all 10 would be playing it at the same time or just 1 of the 11 (incl you) was allowed to play at the same time. It was not totally clear. If everyone starts downloading games digitally, how much pressure be put on ISP's infrastructure? Here in India it would take 3-4 days to download a game on our 1 mbps lines.

So using game blurays is best bet for us. Discs are still going to survive for 5-6 years. 

I welcome this decision. SimCity fiasco is still fresh in my mind. EA lost my sale because of it.

Some of you guys here please be considerate. Not everyone lives in US who gets preferential treatment when it comes to TV packages and high speed internet.

Amerikuhh fuuu yeah!

Selling out of anything is fairly meaningless until you know the number that were available in the first place. I could make just five Playbox 920's and say "this is so awesome and everyone obviously wants one as it sold out!" Meaningless.

On top of that you have bundles, SKUs, etc.

I am happy that Microsoft back peddled on its DRM restrictions. Some of you guys here please be considerate. Not everyone lives in US who gets preferential treatment when it comes to TV packages and high speed internet.

1. The 24hr check didn't need a high speed connection

2. This changes nothing about TV.

1. The 24hr check didn't need a high speed connection

2. This changes nothing about TV.

1. Downloading cloud based games needs fast connection with liberal download caps. (Which you know we dont have here)

2. I want to dump the slow and clunky set top box of Tata Sky. So waiting for deals to happen in future.

Microsoft really messed up here. Surely most of you saw my comments and probably assume I?m some PS fanboy. But let me explain where I stand as well as my opinion on the matter.  This whole thing honestly reminds me of Windows 8 and how they force changed upon consumers. I?m starting to think they really don't know what they're doing. Yes they corrected their mistake with Windows 8 with the Windows 8.1 update but with Xbox one they appear a bit desperate because of their policy changes today. I honestly believe they didn?t think things through like they did with Windows 8.1. Instead of finding the middle ground they immediately went with the majority of people who wanted DRM removed and without thinking about the other side.

So what do we have now? A newer gen Xbox 360 with all these cute TV features and no new gaming features. Between the 3 new Gen consoles the Xbox One really stood out to me mainly because all of these features. Xbox one could have simply kept the family plan for digital content and the shared library feature as well as allow used games. Which would require people to not be force to installed games to the hard drive if bought as disc. That way users can see the advantages of using digital content. It makes no sense to remove it completely like some of you might think it being a wise decision. We still have CDs for music and Blu-rays are still around. Perhaps in the next 4 or 6 years, yes I can see this happening. Clearly it is not time to remove disc just yet. Instead of thinking things through Microsoft obviously pulled a desperate maneuver due to the Sony E3 Conference.

In conclusion. Don't blame fans who wanted choice. Blame your precious Microsoft for their arrogance and greed for not allowing choice and middle ground. This pathetic attempt to beat Sony only made things worst IMO. Now we have people who feel screwed over and fans who feel that the new Xbox is nothing special now that its features have been stripped away.  We lost features, so do you feel that it?s worth the 500$ anymore? I don?t. I usually don't write things like this but I felt like I had to get this off my chest. 

I know a lot of people keep saying arrogance and I know how it must look, but I don't think it's really that.  Microsoft has a vision and it's multiple things.  I think they knew that gamer's would be upset about it, but they thought once they saw the features they would get over it.  The items that publishers would have an option would be not tampered with because if the publishers stop these features below they know that people would stop buying their games, so they wouldn't risk that.

Lets examine what they had with the DRM

- Microsoft would have allowed used games to be sold

- Microsoft would still allowed trading in of used games

- Microsoft would have allowed for the rental of games (they were working with Gamefly to do this)

- Microsoft would have allowed borrowed games using the 10 person library over the Internet with 2 people at one time

- Microsoft would not stop the servers as the servers are for multi-player, cloud storage, and cloud processing

- Microsoft would have allowed you to take all of your games with you anywhere

That is a lot of things you can do and I think people are just not thinking rational about the DRM process.

It did not help that Microsoft couldn't properly tell this story and explain this.

Microsoft should fire their PR people, that was the biggest disgrace to all of this.   Peter Moore needs to be at the head, let him run it from San Fran. 

I plan on doing a write up now that I have some time this weekend and explain why I don't think all of the features are gone.  Sure the DRM related stuff is gone, but the other stuff will be still in play it will just take longer to get them and they won't be at play at launch. 

1. Downloading cloud based games needs fast connection with liberal download caps. (Which you know we dont have here)

2. I want to dump the slow and clunky set top box of Tata Sky. So waiting for deals to happen in future.

You didn't to download games with the old system. Disc was your download medium.

You didn't to download games with the old system. Disc was your download medium.

I am happy it's going to also be disc based games. I dislike downloading 20gbs of games. Would take me few days just to download a game.

What's your point?

So just because some people don't have the TV packages and good HSI the ones who do have to be denied new and interesting digital innovation? 

whats funny is, before, it was , DRM is the devil,and now once the DRM is removed,everyone is sad. Just go look at tech sites, like the verge,ars,gizmodo,etc... they are now saying its sad this DRM is gone and features like family share and digital distribution were the future. Why the ###### weren't they supporting this thing in their articles then?

So just because some people don't have the TV packages and good HSI the ones who do have to be denied new and interesting digital innovation? 

It's not some. There are entire continents (Asia mainly) who will miss out on fun and will opt for PS4 instead. Microsoft did the same to Zune and look where it is today. Microsoft knew very well that it has to be a somewhat global launch for some degree of success.

When people would have realized that all the trumpeted features were useless to them due to their geography, the backlash would have been even more. Not to forget I wouldn't have been able to order from Amazon UK or US game sales.

Hopefully all the tasty DRM features which some here want will make it into the next generation of consoles when world is ready for them (Infrastructure wise and mind frame wise)

But thankfully sense has prevailed now.

whats funny is, before, it was , DRM is the devil,and now once the DRM is removed,everyone is sad. Just go look at tech sites, like the verge,ars,gizmodo,etc... they are now saying its sad this DRM is gone and features like family share and digital distribution were the future. Why the **** weren't they supporting this thing in their articles then?

The Waterboy effect, 'It's the Devil'

get rid of it, it's still the devil

(the old 'damned if you do, and damned if you don't'

I will repeat what I said in the Xbox DRM thread before it was closed, because it still seems some of you are missing the bigger picture.

The family sharing, sans-disc gaming has only be temporarily removed because of the DRM reversal. It will be implemented in the future, just not at launch. So the only negative thing about this DRM news is that the innovative stuff was delayed.

Microsoft's Marc Whitten even alluded to this fact.

Giant Bomb: Does that mean, specifically, the family sharing and stuff like that is not off the table, or just something we're not talking about for launch?

Whitten: We're talking about where we are at launch, and we'll continue to invest and deliver interesting, cool, new scenarios. We'll see where we go.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-s-marc-whitten-talks-xbox-one-s-big-poli/1100-4675/

The features that were removed due to the DRM change were not removed permanently. So, the net result of this whole situation is that Microsoft leveled the playing field with the PS4, gave gamers their rights back, and left the future open to implement these things in a way that doesn't require a mandatory 24 hour brick-check for everyone.

How is that a bad thing?

I know Microsoft really didn't talk about game prices, but the one thing I will say about disc based games is that prices are going to stay on the high side because of this. The one thing I saw with the Xbox One was the long term benefits and changes to the market. In theory with digital sharing, publishers can make money of used games, which would bring the cost of games down. This obviously won't happen overnight, but maybe a year down the road we will see digital game prices start to come down. Right now from the start there is no benefit to the lower cost until games are traded. 

Linux video drivers are pretty ######.

I know Microsoft really didn't talk about game prices, but the one thing I will say about disc based games is that prices are going to stay on the high side because of this. The one thing I saw with the Xbox One was the long term benefits and changes to the market. In theory with digital sharing, publishers can make money of used games, which would bring the cost of games down. This obviously won't happen overnight, but maybe a year down the road we will see digital game prices start to come down. Right now from the start there is no benefit to the lower cost until games are traded. 

You've never seen game sales have you? Lots of games get 25% or more off within a couple months of release. I rarely buy games at full price.

That was never a definite. More than likely, the prices would not have changed because there is no digital competition on the consoles. So to use it as a reason to be disappointed in this news is a little far fetched

I agree. Anyone who wasn't going to buy the xbox one because of the DRM already made up their mind, and trying to change someone's mind after they decide is very difficult (marketing 101). Meanwhile, anyone who wanted the family game sharing is screwed too. Somehow Microsoft managed to make a bad situation worse, IMO.

• Like 2

That was never a definite. More than likely, the prices would not have changed because there is no digital competition on the consoles. So to use it as a reason to be disappointed in this news is a little far fetched

Again thats all speculation, no way to know unless its actually tried. Yes there is no digital competition yet, but long term there is a potential market for that. It would have been nice to see Microsoft find a middle ground.