Microsoft really screwed up! *IMO*

opinion

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2013 - 13:36

Instead of parroting the usual FUD about Linux how about using it and then making a proper assessment of the system? Or just like the Xbone "controversy" you are just going to spout nonsense instead? Prime example of the whole mess, ignorant people making ignorant comments following the herd instead of investigating and making up your own mind on the non issue

Linux video drivers are pretty ######.

#47 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2013 - 13:41

I know Microsoft really didn't talk about game prices, but the one thing I will say about disc based games is that prices are going to stay on the high side because of this. The one thing I saw with the Xbox One was the long term benefits and changes to the market. In theory with digital sharing, publishers can make money of used games, which would bring the cost of games down. This obviously won't happen overnight, but maybe a year down the road we will see digital game prices start to come down. Right now from the start there is no benefit to the lower cost until games are traded. 

You've never seen game sales have you? Lots of games get 25% or more off within a couple months of release. I rarely buy games at full price.

#48 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 20 June 2013 - 13:43

I know Microsoft really didn't talk about game prices, but the one thing I will say about disc based games is that prices are going to stay on the high side because of this. The one thing I saw with the Xbox One was the long term benefits and changes to the market. In theory with digital sharing, publishers can make money of used games, which would bring the cost of games down. This obviously won't happen overnight, but maybe a year down the road we will see digital game prices start to come down. Right now from the start there is no benefit to the lower cost until games are traded. 

That was never a definite. More than likely, the prices would not have changed because there is no digital competition on the consoles. So to use it as a reason to be disappointed in this news is a little far fetched

#49 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 June 2013 - 14:04

I agree. Anyone who wasn't going to buy the xbox one because of the DRM already made up their mind, and trying to change someone's mind after they decide is very difficult (marketing 101). Meanwhile, anyone who wanted the family game sharing is screwed too. Somehow Microsoft managed to make a bad situation worse, IMO.

#50 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2013 - 14:19

That was never a definite. More than likely, the prices would not have changed because there is no digital competition on the consoles. So to use it as a reason to be disappointed in this news is a little far fetched

Again thats all speculation, no way to know unless its actually tried. Yes there is no digital competition yet, but long term there is a potential market for that. It would have been nice to see Microsoft find a middle ground. 

#51 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 20 June 2013 - 15:09

Giant Bomb: You guys have mentioned that this essentially kills, at least for launch, some of the more progressive, interesting policies, such as the family sharing and lending policies. Are those killed permanently or are they things that can come back in future software updates for the operating system?

Whitten: Part of it's a mix because of the reality of how you're changing the experience. Let me give you an example. Before, one of the things that's exciting about a digital ecosystem, is if I go to any Xbox and I see all my games, they show up in my games library? Well, obviously, if you're gonna use physical discs, those games wouldn't show up because it's only showing the content that's in the cloud--that's in your online library. That wouldn't change. The difference is the choice you have of using physical discs or having purchased things online. That said, so much of how we built the program is really built on that digital infrastructure. You get a ton the advantage of that at launch, and we're going to continue to invest in that. Examples are, obviously, things like day-and-date [digital purchases], and I can chose to buy either of them online or physical--it's my choice. Similarly, if I went to your house with my physical-based game, and we played and I left and took my disc with me, you could instantly purchase that game with no download because it's all built on that same functionality. You're going to see us continue to really invest in that. We believe a lot in that cloud powered future.

From the looks of it the features are delayed. I see no reason to get upset because are still investing it. Yes it may appear as a newer build of 360 but It will eventually get there  :)

#52 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2013 - 15:15

You've never seen game sales have you? Lots of games get 25% or more off within a couple months of release. I rarely buy games at full price.

This. 

For example:  I bought Halo 4 for under $12CAN 2 weeks ago.

#53 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 20 June 2013 - 15:32

Those who would mention about how they wouldnt like spending hours downloading 20GB games Did xbox one happen to have this feature like the PS4?

PlayGo

When a title is selected online, only a portion of the game data has to be transferred to the system before it can be started (e.g. the first level), with the remaining parts downloading during play, reducing waiting time. If users prefer to play their game directly from disc, PS4 will install data to the hard drive during play, eliminating loading times. This is accomplished via the system's background processor. Similarly, system updates are downloaded seamlessly in the background without interruption.[65] The PS4 also features technology that attempts to determine trends, including titles a gamer is likely to express interest in next, and then automatically download a small percentage of those games in the background, even in sleep mode, in order to save time.[14]

#54 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2013 - 15:37

Those who would mention about how they wouldnt like spending hours downloading 20GB games Did xbox one happen to have this feature like the PS4?

Yeah, xbone had that.  There is no way that they'd make you wait for 20GB to download.

#55 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:57

Personally where they messed up was letting the details out before Sony let their's out. I am pretty sure Sony would have done the same thing M$ did and then M$ would have changed their stance before letting all the details out and then stab Sony in the back like they did them. For me it does not make a difference. I do not have a problem with DRM on consoles what so ever. Its just with PCs its a more delicate matter because that can open up all kinds of malware and such.

#56 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:22

You sound more EMO than IMHO.

[jerryspringfield]Here's a razor.[/jerryspringfield]

And...here comes the trolls  :laugh:

You said:

... starting to think they really don't know what they're doing. Yes they corrected their mistake with Windows 8 with the Windows 8.1 update

[Putting the poor grammar aside]
How can you say they "corrected" (past tense, as in something which has already been done... you know English, right?.. and 8.1 isn't out yet so...) ... ?

Your OP is trolling; you are trolling.

But since you accused me of it, please explain how am I trolling; pray do tell?

I stand by the opinion I held at the time I replied to opening of your topic: you are EMO and not IMHO; more emotionally motivated than honest-opinionated, and none of the replies or posts you've made since refute that.